Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi there everyone,
Can anyone help with the below question please? I don't get how the second equation is sufficient.. :/

A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank is a cylinder resting horizontally on its side, with its circular ends oriented vertically. The inside of the tank is exactly 6 feet long. What is the volume of gasoline in the tank?

(1) The inside of the tank is exactly 4 feet in diameter.

(2) The top surface of the gasoline forms a rectangle that has an area of 24 square feet.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:15 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mseemab wrote:Hi there everyone,
Can anyone help with the below question please? I don't get how the second equation is sufficient.. :/

A tank is filled with gasoline to a depth of exactly 2 feet. The tank is a cylinder resting horizontally on its side, with its circular ends oriented vertically. The inside of the tank is exactly 6 feet long. What is the volume of gasoline in the tank?

(2) The top surface of the gasoline forms a rectangle that has an area of 24 square feet.

In the figure above, C is the center of the left circular base and rectangle RSTU is the surface of water.
Since the area of RSTU = 24, and it is given that ST=6, RS=4.
Since C is the center of the circular base, CV is a radius that bisects RS into two lengths of 2.

CV:
The figure indicates that CV is equal to the sum of x and and the height of the water (2).
Since CV is a radius, we get:
r = x+2
x = r-2.

Red triangle:
In the red triangle, x and 2 are legs and CS is both the hypotenuse of the triangle and the radius of the cylinder.
Thus:
x² + 2² = r².

Substituting x=r-2 into x² + 2² = r², we get:
(r-2)² + 2² = r²
r² - 4r + 4 + 4 = r²
8 = 4r
r = 2.

Thus, the height of the water -- 2 -- is equal to the radius of the cylinder.
Since the height of the water is equal to HALF the diameter, the volume of the water is equal to HALF the volume of the cylinder.
Since we can calculate the volume of the cylinder using r=2 and h=6, the volume of the water can be determined.
SUFFICIENT.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:16 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

An alternate approach:

RULE:
If points A, B and C are not collinear and are all the same distance from point O, then points A, B and C lie on a unique circle with center O.

In the figure above, AB is the diameter of the left circular base and rectangle RSTU is the surface of water.
Since the area of RSTU = 24, and it is given that ST=6, RS=4.
Since AB is the diameter of the circular base, AB bisects RS into two lengths of 2.

Since points R, S and B are all equidistant from point O, points R, S and B lie on a unique circle with center O.
Implication:
O is the center of the left circular base, on which lie points R, S and B.

Thus, the height of the water -- 2 -- is equal to the radius of the cylinder.
Since the height of the water is equal to HALF the diameter, the volume of the water is equal to HALF the volume of the cylinder.
Since we can calculate the volume of the cylinder using r=2 and h=6, the volume of the water can be determined.
SUFFICIENT.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

(1) The inside of the tank is exactly 4 feet in diameter.

Hi Mseemab,

Let's discuss statement 2 only.

We have a rectangle of area = 24.

It is given that the height of the cylinder = 6, thus 24 = 6*Cord; Cord -> the horizontal line of gasoline within the circular ends of the cylinder

We know that the depth of gasoline = 2 feet. We can draw a right-angled triangle within a vertical circular end and calculate the radius of the circle. It would come out to be 2 feet, implying that the cylinder is half-filled. Now we can calculate its volume. Sufficient.

The correct answer: D

Hope this helps!

Relevant book: Manhattan Review GMAT Data Sufficiency Guide

-Jay

Locations: New York | Barcelona | Manila | Melbourne | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.