Low mock score in Princeton review test

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Low mock score in Princeton review test

by ankithsaleem » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:21 am
Is it possible to get 610(Q43,V32) when 31 out of 37 questions in quants are right and 33 of 41 questions in verbal are right?
I know it is an adaptive test but this is still too less for the number of questions i got wrong. Because i checked in all the forums and nowhere i have seen the case of such a low score with this much accuracy. So can you please tell me if the result shown is skewed or not?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:06 am
Hi ankithsaleem,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), so it would be useful to know how you performed on one of those CATs. By extension, if you're working with practice materials that you think might not be representative of the Official GMAT, you might want to consider investing in some new materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:49 pm
I would imagine on the real test that six wrong in math and eight wrong in verbal would be higher than 610, but as Rich says, it's complicated! Scoring is not an average of x/37 and y/41, with x and y the number correct in each section: the difficulty of the problem is everything.

Here's a thorough but friendly (well, friendly is relative, but it isn't too opaque by math standards) guide to IRT scoring, the kind of scoring used on the GMAT.