Market researchers recently reported that ninety percent of

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:620
Market researchers recently reported that ninety percent of the people interviewed objected to a particular detergent's advertisement because of their portrayal of women. Yet this detergent is purchased by twenty percent of consumers. So its advertisements must be considered to be unobjectionable to at least twenty percent of consumers.

The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumption?

a) People who object to a product's advertisements may still buy that product.

b) The people who buy this detergent are familiar with its advertisement.

c) Most of the people who do not buy this detergent consider its advertisements to be objectionable.

d) Most people wash their own clothes, so they have to buy some brand of detergent.

e) Most of the people in the market research study were women.

OA is B

Please check my analysis on C. I am very confused. I have made two cases. In case 1, if 144(MOST) of the objected consumers didn't purchase, then C seems to satisfy as an assumption

In case 2, If 144 (MOST) of the objected consumers purchase, then C doesn't seems to be an assumption.

I will really appreciate if you look into my analysis. I was very confused between B and C, and could not eliminate C. At the time of review i made 2 cases, so just want to know whether i am correct or not. If you think i am missing something or if it is wrong, then feel free to correct me

Thanks
Vinni (please open image in tab if it is not clear while viewing)
Attachments
Analysis.jpg

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gkkk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:48 am
I guess there is a flaw in your reasoning. 10% of interviewed and 20% of consumer ..... both are different entities can't be co-related.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gkkk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:00 am
This is assumption question so it must support to conclusion which is advertisements must be considered to be unobjectionable to at least twenty percent of consumers.... who are these 20% consumers an why mentioned so. These are those people who purchased the detergent. means they are ok with ad. lets look at ans.
d,e - out of context
a - we dnt have any such proof. mey be may b not.
b - if one havn't seen an ad how can you object it. very imp for conclusion. making sense too.
c - may be they like some other detergent more then this one.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:32 am
vinni.k wrote:Market researchers recently reported that ninety percent of the people interviewed objected to a particular detergent's advertisement because of their portrayal of women. Yet this detergent is purchased by twenty percent of consumers. So its advertisements must be considered to be unobjectionable to at least twenty percent of consumers.

The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumption?

a) People who object to a product's advertisements may still buy that product.

b) The people who buy this detergent are familiar with its advertisement.

c) Most of the people who do not buy this detergent consider its advertisements to be objectionable.

d) Most people wash their own clothes, so they have to buy some brand of detergent.

e) Most of the people in the market research study were women.
Premise: 20% of consumers purchased the detergent.
Conclusion: At least 20% of consumers consider the advertisements unobjectionable.

The conclusion here is valid only if there is a LINK between the colored portions.
If there is NOT a link between the colored portions -- if the 20% who purchased the detergent are NOT the same as the 20% thought to consider the ads unobjectionable -- then the conclusion is invalid.

Apply the NEGATION test.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.
B, negated:
The people who buy this detergent are unfamiliar with its advertisement.
Here, the 20% who purchased the detergent are NOT familiar with the advertisement and thus CANNOT consider it unobjectionable.
Since the negation of B breaks the link between the colored portions above -- thereby invalidating the conclusion that at least 20% of consumers consider the ads unobjectionable -- B constitutes an assumption: a statement that MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to hold.

The correct answer is B.

C, negated:
Most non-purchasers consider the advertisements unobjectionable.
If anything, this negation STRENGTHENS the conclusion that the advertisements are considered unobjectionable to at least twenty percent of consumers.
Since the negation of C does not invalidate the conclusion, eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:05 am
vinni.k wrote: Please check my analysis on C. I am very confused. I have made two cases. In case 1, if 144(MOST) of the objected consumers didn't purchase, then C seems to satisfy as an assumption

In case 2, If 144 (MOST) of the objected consumers purchase, then C doesn't seems to be an assumption.

I will really appreciate if you look into my analysis. I was very confused between B and C, and could not eliminate C. At the time of review i made 2 cases, so just want to know whether i am correct or not. If you think i am missing something or if it is wrong, then feel free to correct me

Thanks
Vinni
Hi Vinni.

You are missing the idea of what constitutes an assumption upon which an argument depends.

Such an assumption is not something that must be true given what the argument says. Rather, it is something that must be true in order for the argument to work.

Conclusion Of The Argument: The advertisements must be considered unobjectionable by at least twenty percent of consumers.

Let's look at (C).

(C) Most of the people who do not buy this detergent consider its advertisements to be objectionable.

Let's consider some things about (C).

The first is that what (C) says is not strongly supported by the statements in the argument. All we know is that 90 percent of those interviewed objected to the advertisement. For all we know, the people interviewed are the only people ever to have seen the advertisement. Alternatively, the opinions of the people interviewed may not match those of the general population. At the same time, (C) is not clearly in conflict with what is said in the argument.

The next is that whether (C) is supported by the argument or is in conflict with the argument is irrelevant anyway. We are mot looking for something that we can infer from what is said in the argument, but rather for an ASSUMPTION, something that has to be the case in order for the argument to work.

So does what (C) says have to be the case in order for the argument to work?

No.

We don't need most people who do buy the detergent to find the advertisements objectionable in order for the argument to work. The opinions of THOSE WHO DON'T BUY are irrelevant.

The argument is about how PEOPLE WHO DO BUY feel about the advertisement.

Now let's consider (B).

(B) The people who buy this detergent are familiar with its advertisement.

The argument states the people who bought the detergent must find the advertisement unobjectionable. That statement assumes that those people are actually familiar with the advertisement. If they were not, they would not have any basis for finding the advertisement either objectionable or unobjectionable.

So (B) is an assumption upon which the argument depends, as (B) has to be the case in order for the argument to work.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by vinni.k » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: C, negated:
If anything, this negation STRENGTHENS the conclusion that the advertisements are considered unobjectionable to at least twenty percent of consumers.
I am not sure how you are saying strengthening. Conclusion is At least 20% of consumers consider the advertisements unobjectionable.

Now, what i know most is more than 50%. Here it is given at least 20% in which minimum can be 20%.
Second, it is for non-purchasers, but the argument is talking about purchasers.

Or may be you are referring to the remaining part(most) of 20%: non-purchasers who considered unobjectionable
Please check below
Attachments
Strengthen.jpg

by vinni.k » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:16 am
Marty Murray wrote:
The first is that what (C) says is not strongly supported by the statements in the argument. All we know is that 90 percent of those interviewed objected to the advertisement. For all we know, the people interviewed are the only people ever to have seen the advertisement. Alternatively, the opinions of the people interviewed may not match those of the general population. At the same time, (C) is not clearly in conflict with what is said in the argument.
Marty, i have no issues with B, and i have understood clearly. Okay let me tell you what i have understood from the argument.

Detergent is bought by 20% of consumers. So, its advertisement must be unobjectionable to at least 20% of consumers.

It is unobjectionable to at least 20% of consumers who bought detergent
and the confusing part - if it is unobjectionable as above mentioned, then it is objectionable to 80%(or less) who bought detergent or not bought detergent.

Summary
it is objectionable to 80%(or less) who bought detergent or not bought detergent. (confused underlined part)

This is where i am mixing C with this part

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:37 am
vinni.k wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: C, negated:
The argument concludes that 20% of consumers consider the ads unobjectionable.
Every consumer is either a purchaser of the detergent or a non-purchaser.
The negation of C states that most non-purchasers find the ads unobjectionable, implying that a significant portion of CONSUMERS find the ads unobjectionable.
This information -- that a significant portion of consumers find the ads unobjectionable -- STRENGTHENS the conclusion that at least 20% of consumers consider the ads unobjectionable.
Since the negation of the correct answer must invalidate the conclusion, eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 pm
vinni.k wrote:
Marty Murray wrote:
Marty, i have no issues with B, and i have understood clearly. Okay let me tell you what i have understood from the argument.

Detergent is bought by 20% of consumers. So, its advertisement must be unobjectionable to at least 20% of consumers.

and the confusing part - if it is unobjectionable as above mentioned, then it is objectionable to 80%(or less) who bought detergent or not bought detergent.

Summary
it is objectionable to 80%(or less) who bought detergent or not bought detergent. (confused underlined part)

This is where i am mixing C with this part
Vinni,

This is an assumption question. The only thing that matters is whether what an answer choice says has to be true in order for the argument to work.

Nothing else matters.

If you look at (C) in that light, there is absolutely nothing that can confuse you.

The argument says that at least 20 percent of consumers do not find the advertisement objectionable.

Ok.

For that to be true, does it matter what the other 80% do?

No.

The other 80% could do anything. They could love the advertisement. They could hate the advertisement. They could live in caves, wearing the same clothes every day and and never washing them, and never see any advertisements of any kind.

What they do does not matter.

The only point being made is that since 20% of consumers buy the detergent, at least 20% of consumers must find the advertisement unobjectionable. As a matter of fact, the argument would work if it were the case that 100 PERCENT OF CONSUMERS find the advertisement unobjectionable.

Right?

So we don't need what (C) says AT ALL. If (C) were 100% incorrect and EVERYONE, including the people who don't buy the detergent, were to LOVE the advertisements, the argument would still work.

Let's repeat the point of the argument.

Since 20% of consumers buy the detergent, 20% must find the advertisements unobjectionable.

There are 80% more.

If all of the other 80% hate the advertisements, the argument still works. 20% still buy the detergent.

If all of the other 80% love the advertisements, the argument still works. 20% still buy the detergent.

If the other 80% flew to Mars and never came back, the argument still works. 20% still buy the detergent.

So (C) is clearly not an assumption upon which the argument depends.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

by vinni.k » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:59 am
I think i got it. 80% is non issue. Our focus is on the 20% of consumers. We should be least bothered about the 80%. Also negation of C, does strengthen the conclusion. But still our focus must be on 20% not 80%
I was focusing on the other part of 20%. It is this scenario when i get close to 2 answers and not able to eliminate the confused one for right reasons.

I think i can eliminate A for the same kind of reason.

Mitch and Marty thank you so much for clarifying the doubt. Really appreciate it

Vinni

by vinni.k » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:58 am
One more question. When evaluating answer choices for an assumption question and confused between 2 or 3 answer choices, then we should check which one more closely bridges the gap. Like in this question choice B completely makes sense because here if people are not familiar with the advertisement, then there is no question of being objectionable or unobjectionable. So, it bridges the gap and more clear as an answer.

In C, i was thinking of 80%, but the gap has to be filled with the 20%. So, if i get confused in such answer choices, then i should check which one is bridging the gap and go for it.

Please let me know if i am correct.

Also i usually don't go for negation in the first place because it doesn't strike me quickly, second i feel it to be time consuming.

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:50 am
vinni.k wrote:One more question. When evaluating answer choices for an assumption question and confused between 2 or 3 answer choices, then we should check which one more closely bridges the gap. Like in this question choice B completely makes sense because here if people are not familiar with the advertisement, then there is no question of being objectionable or unobjectionable. So, it bridges the gap and more clear as an answer.

In C, i was thinking of 80%, but the gap has to be filled with the 20%. So, if i get confused in such answer choices, then i should check which one is bridging the gap and go for it.

Please let me know if i am correct.
Of course, Vinni.

If what an answer choice says fills a gap in the argument, then, in an assumption type question, that choice is the right answer.

If what an answer choice does not fill a gap in the argument, then, no matter how interesting, insightful, or related to the argument what the choice says may be, that choice is not the correct answer to an assumption type question.

So yes, if you are down to two answers, checking to see which actually fills a gap in the argument is exactly the way to choose between them, and if neither fills a gap, then you have to go back to the other three and find one that does.
Also i usually don't go for negation in the first place because it doesn't strike me quickly, second i feel it to be time consuming.
Negation is not for everyone and is not great for every question, and I agree that how to negate a particular choice is not always obvious. Still, you may find negation useful in certain instances. For instance, sometimes it is a good way to confirm whether a choice is correct.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com