00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In a certain business, production index p is directly proportional to efficiency index e, which in turn directly proportional to investment index i. What is p if i=70?

1) e=0.5 whenever i=60
2) p=2.0 whenever i=50

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:18 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

marat_isr wrote:In a certain business, production index p is directly proportional to efficiency index e, which in turn directly proportional to investment index i. What is p if i=70?

1) e=0.5 whenever i=60
2) p=2.0 whenever i=50
When two variables are proportional, we can depict that relationship by multiplying one of the variables by a constant. If x is proportional to y, for example, we can use a constant, 'c,' and write x = c*y.

We're told that p is proportional to e. So let's say p = c*e. (the constant here is c.) We also know that e is proportional to i, so let's say e = d * i. (the constant here is d. Now we can substitute d * i in place of e in the first equation to get p = c * d * i. We want to know p when i = 70, we want p in the following equation p = c*d*70.

To summarize, we have the following

e = d*i
p = c * d * i

We want p when p = c*d*70.

(Note that if we can find c*d, we can find p, so you could rephrase this question as "what is the value of c*d?")

Statement 1: Not so helpful. If we go to the equation e = d * i, we can substitute to get .5 = d * 60. This allows do solve for d. But we have nothing about c. Not sufficient.

Statement 2: Initially, we determined that p = c * d * i. Substituting '2' for 'p' and '50' for 'i,' we get 2 = c * d *50; or (1/25) = c*d. c*d is what we want. Remember that we were looking for p, when p = c*d*70. If c*d = 1/25, then p = (1/25)*70. Statement 2 yields a unique value for p when i = 70, so this statement alone is sufficient. The answer is B
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In a certain business, production index p is directly proportional to efficiency index e, which is in turn directly proportional to investment index i. What is p if i=70?

1) e=0.5 whenever i=60
2) p=2.0 whenever i=50
Since all 3 values are directly proportional to one another, p is directly proportional to i.
Thus:
p�/i� = p₂/i₂.

Statement 1:

No information about p.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
If we substitute p�=2, i�=50 and i₂=70 into p�/i� = p₂/i₂, we get:
2/50 = pâ‚‚/70.
Since we can solve for pâ‚‚, we can determine the value of p if i=70.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

marat_isr wrote:In a certain business, production index p is directly proportional to efficiency index e, which in turn directly proportional to investment index i. What is p if i=70?

1) e=0.5 whenever i=60
2) p=2.0 whenever i=50
We know that p is proportional to e and e is proportional to i.

Thus, p = ke and e = mi; where k and m are a constant

From the two, we get = km*i; where km is a constant; we can replace it with a single number say r = km.

Thus, p = ri.

If we are able to get the value of the constant 'r', we can answer the question: What is p if i=70?

Let us take each statement one by one.

S1: e = 0.5 whenever i = 60

We cannot get the value of the constant 'r' from the above information, thus statement 1 itself is not sufficient.

S2: p=2.0 whenever i=50

Since p = ri, r = p/i = 2/50 = 1/25. We get the unique value of 'r,' thus statement 2 is sufficient.

To answer the question: p @ (i = 70) = (1/25)*70 = 14/5.

The correct answer: B

Hope this helps!

Relevant book: Manhattan Review GMAT Data Sufficiency Guide

-Jay

Locations: New York | Paris | Shanghai | Munich | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.