princeton review CR

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

princeton review CR

by canbtg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:56 am
A toy company's engineering department developed a new model of its computerized storyteller lacking educational features present in the earlier model, which was still being produced. During the first year of production of the new model, while both models were being sold, the newer model of the storyteller sold much better than the older model. The CEO of the toy company concluded that educational features were not important in consumers' decisions to purchase the storyteller.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the CEO's conclusion?

A)Both institutions such as children's hospitals and private individuals purchase storytellers from this toy company.

B)Many customers consider the new storyteller educational because of certain features, which requires children to learn new skills in order to use it.

C)Many customers of this toy company also purchased computerized storytellers from toy companies that did provide educational features in their new storytellers.

D)The new storyteller can be used by all age groups of children that could use the earlier model of the storyteller.

E)There was no significant difference in price between the newer storyteller and the older model.

[spoiler]could some one please point out a flaw in my reasoning and show me how B is better than c ?

B gives the possibility that consumers purchased toys from the stated toy company because the company incorporated some special features that attracted the buyers , and not because the educational features were not important in consumers' decisions to purchase the storyteller.Since, consumers of this toy company also purchased computerized storytellers from toy companies that did provide educational features in their new storytellers clearly indicates that educational features in the toys were important to the consumers and that is the reason they visited other toy companies that contained the features.[/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:05 pm
The CEO's conclusion is that consumers of the new storyteller did not value educational features in their purchasing decisions.

B shows that consumers actually DID consider educational features. Because the storyteller required children to learn new skills, the consumers saw educational value in purchasing it.

C does not give us the motivation of consumers for purchasing storytellers from other companies. These other storytellers did have educational features, but consumers may have purchased them because of price, availability, ease of use, or any number of reasons that have nothing to do with the educational features themselves.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nandini.gaur » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:36 am
I reject C as it was concerned with storytellers of other companies whereas the qs was about educational features of the toy sold by one particular company. I considered it out of scope. Is my thinking correct?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri May 02, 2014 10:14 am
Whenever we're asked to WEAKEN an argument, it must be true that there is a logical flaw inherent in the argument. First deconstruct the argument to identify any false assumptions:

Given: New model (lacking educational features) outsold older model (with educational features).

Conclusion: educational features were not important in consumers' decisions to purchase the storyteller.

Logical Gap: Are there other factors affecting consumers' decisions? Are there other differences between the two models? Are there different ways to interpret "educational"?

A)Both institutions such as children's hospitals and private individuals purchase storytellers from this toy company.
Irrelevant to whether educational value affected purchasing decisions.

B)Many customers consider the new storyteller educational because of certain features, which requires children to learn new skills in order to use it.
This directly undermines the CEO's conclusion. If consumers do consider the newer model educational, then that might have been an important factor in their purchasing decisions.

C)Many customers of this toy company also purchased computerized storytellers from toy companies that did provide educational features in their new storytellers.
This still doesn't address whether the educational features were a primary consideration in purchasing decisions. Imagine swapping this out with "they also purchased other storytellers that were blue." Do we know if color was a decision-making factor? No, it might be, but it might not be.

D)The new storyteller can be used by all age groups of children that could use the earlier model of the storyteller.
No relevance to purchasing decisions.

E)There was no significant difference in price between the newer storyteller and the older model.
If there were a difference in price, that could weaken the argument - it would provide another reason that consumers might prefer one model to the other. If there is no price difference, though, there is no effect on the conclusion.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri May 02, 2014 10:20 am
nandini.gaur wrote:I reject C as it was concerned with storytellers of other companies whereas the qs was about educational features of the toy sold by one particular company. I considered it out of scope. Is my thinking correct?
Generally speaking, you're right. Comparisons to other companies, states, people, etc, are usually wrong answers on CR because we don't know that all conditions are the same in both situations.

In this situation, though, it might have been relevant, if it said something like: Many customers of this toy company had already purchased computerized storytellers from toy companies because they provided educational features, but purchased this one because of superior graphics

Here, the comparison to another company would not be out of scope because it would show that a) consumers care about educational features, but b) they have an alternative reason to prefer the newer model.

So generally you're right, but don't be too strict about applying that rule - evaluate comparisons on a case-by-case basis.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by john864 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:03 pm
B) seems to be the best choice!!

by netham » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:47 am
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:The CEO's conclusion is that consumers of the new storyteller did not value educational features in their purchasing decisions.

B shows that consumers actually DID consider educational features. Because the storyteller required children to learn new skills, the consumers saw educational value in purchasing it.

C does not give us the motivation of consumers for purchasing storytellers from other companies. These other storytellers did have educational features, but consumers may have purchased them because of price, availability, ease of use, or any number of reasons that have nothing to do with the educational features themselves.
Actually, I think C told us that customers did buy other companies' storytellers because it has educational features - not because of "other" features. The main reason to leave C out is OUT OF SCOPE.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:30 am
netham wrote:
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:The CEO's conclusion is that consumers of the new storyteller did not value educational features in their purchasing decisions.

Actually, I think C told us that customers did buy other companies' storytellers because it has educational features - not because of "other" features. The main reason to leave C out is OUT OF SCOPE.
We're told that customers bought storytellers from companies that offered educational features in their newest models, but we're not told that the educational features were the motivating factor for the purchase. More generally, if I buy a product with feature x, without additional info, it's impossible to know if feature x is why I made my purchase, or if the product just happened to have this feature, and in actuality, I was motivated by other aspects of the product.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course