How to achieve 760 in a month from 720/30

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

How to achieve 760 in a month from 720/30

by hwang327 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 am
Hi,

I am planning to achieve a 760 in a month and I hope to share my story and formulate a strategy for how to approach my final push for next month.

I have been studying GMAT for exactly 6 months, though only more seriously for the past 3. Yesterday I took my first GMAT exam at a official testing center. I booked the exam 1 months ago knowing that I probably won't score that well but still wanted to do it as I wanted to acclimatize myself to a real testing environment.

Here is how it went... I woke up at 4:45am to do some math studying (read some target prep materials, did 1 chapter test and did 5 gmatclub questions), went to work at 6am and got off work early to arrive at the testing center around 3pm, feeling a quite nervous I proceeded cautiously. AWA and IR got me stomped from the get go as I felt my brain wasn't working at all. When Quant started I didn't have enough time to mark down timers and was off to a bad start, and then, got stomped on the very first question... Felt I performed horribly and I went on to verbal, did not do well and even skipped 1 RC passage completely. Prior to clicking to see the final score, I was expecting a high 600 ...

My final score was 720 (IR5; Q49; V38)

One week earlier at home I tested GMATPrep with 730 (IR 7, Q 50, V 39)

Love to get some tips on how to approach studying for the next 4/5 weeks to score a 760, I am also aiming for at least a 7 on IR.

So far, my strategy consists of 2 hour studying week day
1 hour Quant - read chapters from target prep, do some questions and consistently doing 5 gmat club quant qs everyday
1 hour verbal - do 5 CR qs from e-gmat and 5 SC qs from OG2017, then reviewing the notes
sat/sunday 5 hours per day - don't really have much of a plan, just do some more questions and read some more...

I previously went through MGMAT live 3 months, math revolution (took some notes) and currently am using target test prep for math and e-gmat for verbal. I am also having difficulties with improvement in verbal and seem to be stuck right under 40s. It feels like just doing a bunch of questions in CR isn't working?

And how exactly do you tackle IR? I went from scoring 7 one week ago to 5 yesterday...

Any thought on any of these would be great.

Thank You,

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:38 pm
hwang327 wrote:Hi,

I am planning to achieve a 760 in a month and I hope to share my story and formulate a strategy for how to approach my final push for next month.

I have been studying GMAT for exactly 6 months, though only more seriously for the past 3. Yesterday I took my first GMAT exam at a official testing center. I booked the exam 1 months ago knowing that I probably won't score that well but still wanted to do it as I wanted to acclimatize myself to a real testing environment.

Here is how it went... I woke up at 4:45am to do some math studying (read some target prep materials, did 1 chapter test and did 5 gmatclub questions), went to work at 6am and got off work early to arrive at the testing center around 3pm, feeling a quite nervous I proceeded cautiously. AWA and IR got me stomped from the get go as I felt my brain wasn't working at all. When Quant started I didn't have enough time to mark down timers and was off to a bad start, and then, got stomped on the very first question... Felt I performed horribly and I went on to verbal, did not do well and even skipped 1 RC passage completely. Prior to clicking to see the final score, I was expecting a high 600 ...

Love to get some tips on how to approach studying for the next 4/5 weeks to score a 760, I am also aiming for at least a 7 on IR.

So far, my strategy consists of 2 hour studying week day
1 hour Quant - read chapters from target prep, do some questions and consistently doing 5 gmat club quant qs everyday
1 hour verbal - do 5 CR qs from e-gmat and 5 SC qs from OG2017, then reviewing the notes
sat/sunday 5 hours per day - don't really have much of a plan, just do some more questions and read some more...

I previously went through MGMAT live 3 months, math revolution (took some notes) and currently am using target test prep for math and e-gmat for verbal. I am also having difficulties with improvement in verbal and seem to be stuck right under 40s. It feels like just doing a bunch of questions in CR isn't working?

And how exactly do you tackle IR? I went from scoring 7 one week ago to 5 yesterday...

Any thought on any of these would be great.

Thank You,
Not a bad dilemma to have - once you hit 720, the incremental gains begin to suffer from the law of diminishing returns in terms of the impact on admissions committees. But it sounds like you've made up your mind to give it another shot, so here's my take: you should have exactly one prep goal - to get that verbal score to 44+.

First, you might consider getting an enhanced score report from GMAC. The report will sometimes confirm what you already know, but if you something striking (your Sentence Correction was lagging behind your Reading Comp, for example.) the info can be useful in crafting a study plan.

Second, review the Official Guide, even if you've already completed it. See if there are patterns to the questions you've missed. Anything unclear, post here. Jot a few notes to yourself about simple adjustments you can make. Remember that for all the strategies/grammar rules we teach, the verbal section is primarily about logic and focus. Practice boiling everything down to its essence. Always ask yourself, before you select an answer in sentence correction, if the sentence, when read literally, is clear and logical. Before you select an answer in Critical Reasoning always take another moment and ask if your answer really does impact the conclusion. Before you select an answer in Reading Comp ask yourself if there's textual support for that answer. Be relentless.

Third, address the psychological aspects of testing. The difference between a 720 and a 760 can come down to a slight adjustment in mindset. Consider incorporating some mindfulness meditation. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/

Last, consider some test day hacks to boost performance:
https://creatingpositivefutures.com/3-re ... t-anxiety/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:18 am
I agree with what Veritas has said.

Other things to elaborate on.

YES. Getting up from a 720 to a 760 is not easy.

Get the enhanced score report...and learn from it. ALSO keep in mind that a lot of books out there and one-size-fits-all programs don't help students as much with this, because is a low number of students so you really need to fine tune your efforts. I personally think getting a study buddy or tutor will serve you well to study smarter not harder.

ALSO, if mindset is an issue, we have an audio product that can help that is interactive - - https://testprepny.com/full-potential-audio-program/ the sample might even be enough!! There is not anything else on the market that is GMAT specific AND for mindset. We also have a chapter in our book (link below) that can provide other useful resources in your local community to support you in this arena. Remember: tests don't only measure what you know, they measure how well you take tests.

Good Luck!
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:12 am

You're very close to a perfect 51 on the Quant, but your Verbal is lower than it could be. You could do a ton more work on the quant, but you only have a maximum of 2 more points to gain there. I would recommend spending even more time on the verbal side.

Definitely get the Enhanced Score Report to find out exactly where your weakest areas in verbal are. That said, you also want to maximize your strengths. Do you know all of your grammar rules, and are you recognizing how and when they're being tested every time? Are you practicing at least 2-3 RC passages every week?

The good news is - you already have a competitive score, so the pressure is off! Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education