390 to 730 w/ Target Test Prep Q & Magoosh/Manhattan V

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
On June 4, 2016, I took the GMAT and scored a 730 (41, 94% Verbal and 48, 73% Quant). I was beyond thrilled because my score at the beginning of March was a 390 on a Manhattan practice test. I know with a couple more weeks I could have scored even higher, but I was good with this result. It worked out because I was accepted into HBS, Kellogg, Wharton and Haas Round 1!

Background
I was born and raised in the US, and I enjoy writing. The verbal wasn't tough for me. The quant was even though I have an accounting background and worked in finance for a bit. I started studying in January-February of 2016 using Magoosh/Manhattan. I went through all the verbal and quant lessons and took a practice test through Manhattan and scored a 390. I was crushed. I went on a 2 week trip and came back ready to go into full gear in April.

I studied with a friend every day after work from 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm with a ~30 min dinner break (sometimes longer). On the weekends, I'd study 10 am to 7 pm on Saturday and noon to 7 pm on Sunday. I would give myself one night a week to go out with friends - generally Saturday. I believe if you study after work every day and on the weekends, you can take the test in 3 months and score above a 700. Here's the plan I followed:

Quant Lessons
I went through all of the lessons in Target Test Prep. They are SO thorough. I loved them because they went through all the different type of questions - literally most of what you could think of is covered. Each lesson comes with a notes sheet so you download and print them and then you write your notes in this. It's such an easy way to stay organized. This software is a few hundred dollars, but I HIGHLY recommend it. A one week trial costs $1.

I really liked the notes sheet because it helped me stay SO organized and it was easy to reference it when I missed problems.

Quant Practice Problems
Target Test Prep has multiple "easy" "medium" and "hard" quizzes for each session. I started doing a few of the easy and all of the medium and hard. That was a bad idea. It sounds dumb, but DO NOT skip on doing the easy ones. You need to know how to answer the easy questions to get to the hard ones. They seem to easy, but you really should take the time to do them. This practice was invaluable.

Flash Cards & Review
I made flashcards on each topic under Target Test Prep and I reviewed them at least twice a week. It would take me 1-2 hours to go through them all because if I didn't fully remember how to do a problem like that I'd go into the lessons and review that. I think the review helped a LOT. The week of my exam, I reviewed these every day.

Verbal Lessons
I reviewed the Manhattan verbal books once and watched all of the Magoosh verbal lessons. I wrote notes during the process. After reviewing this once, I started practice. This was the key for me!

Verbal Practice
I made a goal to do 20 sentence completion problems every day from Magoosh until I finished them all. This only takes 30 minutes (+15 minutes to review) and it gets you in the habit of seeing common mistakes quickly. The key here is to review the explanation for the answers you got right and wrong, and I'd keep a running list of the rules I didn't know or couldn't remember. I'd review this once a week.

Practice Tests

I'd suggest buying the Manhattan ones and the GMAC ones. Do one every two weeks. I say every two weeks because you need time between each test to do targeted practice on the topics you're weak on and actually focus on improve. I'd also spend ~4 hours after each practice test reviewing my test and really understanding what I got wrong. DEFINITELY buy the GMAC ones. I didn't do that until the week before and really regret that decision. This is because the Manhattan tests are TOO HARD. When I took my first GMAC practice test a week before my real example, I was so confused because it felt too easy. It was so strange. I'd suggest that the month before your actual GMAT you ONLY take GMAC practice tests.

2 weeks before your exam
I didn't do this until 3 days before my exam, but I would have scored higher if I did it earlier - do all the problems in the GMAC book. By this time, you need to be focusing on mixed practice, rather than targeted practice on one lesson. Also, nothing gets closer to the test then the GMAC questions. I wish I did the GMAC questions in the GMAC book earlier. Target Test Prep study plan told me to do this but I didn't listen until the week of. I guess it worked out though!

Timing
When doing the practice tests, figure out at one point you're just going to skip and move on. This was the hardest part for me, but at some point, you just need to guess and keep going. Manhattan has a way to organize your testing pad - that helped me a lot.

Day before my exam
Everyone says not to study the day before your exam or the day of. I agree, but I studied anyways. I think retrospectively - not a good idea, because I was exhausted as I was taking the test, but I felt so behind and I really needed to review the material - so I can't offer any tips here except don't do what I did which was study so much that I barely slept the night before because I couldn't stop thinking about the test.

Summary
  • Get Target Test Prep for quant!!!
    Get Magoosh for verbal practice and do verbal practice everyday (or at least weekday).
    Targeted math practice is important at the beginning.
    Spend a few hours every week just reviewing all your quant flashcards and verbal notes.
    Do mixed practice from the GMAC leading up to the test - I KNOW I would have scored better if I did this.
    Have a timing strategy going into the exam - know what you'll skip.
Good luck!!!!

by Kajiey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:17 pm
Thank you for sharing your experience MBARani!I am in a similar situation and your story gives me much needed hope.

I too am native, work experience is in finance/analytics. My first practice GMAT was a dismal 360, must to my surprise. I was told 200+ point increases are very rare, so glad to you made it.

Do you have any tips for reading comprehension? If I take 15-20mins to read the passage and answer the questions, then I get them all correct. However, the moment I try to speed it up, I start getting 1-3 questions wrong, which adds up. Ive gone through the Kaplan Videos and the Manhattan Reading Comp Book for strategies.

Was Magoosh Verbal and the OG the only source you used for learning and practice for reading comp?

Any tips on how you studied and your approach are greatly appreciated.

Congrats on your success and thank you for sharing!

-KJ

by gouranga108 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 am
Hi MBARani,

Congratulations and that's quite a lot of increase from the 1st test- really inspiring.
Can you elaborate more on how did you determine your weak point and worked to reach from 390 to 730

Thanks

by sanamohammed » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:59 pm
Kajiey,

I think what you'll need to do is do a lot of reading comprehension practice, so that way you naturally speed up. I think the more practice you do, the faster you become. I also read online that there are "speed reading" courses you can take to prep for the GMAT. Maybe you can look into this?

I only used Manhattan's strategies to prep for the Reading Comprehension portion, and I think it really helped! Good luck on your journey!

Gouranga108,

I was weak in all of math pretty much. I spent a week focused on one path section in Target Test Prep at a time, doing ALL the practice for that and then every week I'd do one review day going through all of my math notes. I think the regular review really helped!

by latineuro » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:08 pm
MBARani180830 wrote:On June 4, 2016, I took the GMAT and scored a 730 (41, 94% Verbal and 48, 73% Quant). I was beyond thrilled because my score at the beginning of March was a 390 on a Manhattan practice test. I know with a couple more weeks I could have scored even higher, but I was good with this result. It worked out because I was accepted into HBS, Kellogg, Wharton and Haas Round 1!

Background
I was born and raised in the US, and I enjoy writing. The verbal wasn't tough for me. The quant was even though I have an accounting background and worked in finance for a bit. I started studying in January-February of 2016 using Magoosh/Manhattan. I went through all the verbal and quant lessons and took a practice test through Manhattan and scored a 390. I was crushed. I went on a 2 week trip and came back ready to go into full gear in April.

I studied with a friend every day after work from 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm with a ~30 min dinner break (sometimes longer). On the weekends, I'd study 10 am to 7 pm on Saturday and noon to 7 pm on Sunday. I would give myself one night a week to go out with friends - generally Saturday. I believe if you study after work every day and on the weekends, you can take the test in 3 months and score above a 700. Here's the plan I followed:

Quant Lessons
I went through all of the lessons in Target Test Prep. They are SO thorough. I loved them because they went through all the different type of questions - literally most of what you could think of is covered. Each lesson comes with a notes sheet so you download and print them and then you write your notes in this. It's such an easy way to stay organized. This software is a few hundred dollars, but I HIGHLY recommend it. A one week trial costs $1.

I really liked the notes sheet because it helped me stay SO organized and it was easy to reference it when I missed problems.

Quant Practice Problems
Target Test Prep has multiple "easy" "medium" and "hard" quizzes for each session. I started doing a few of the easy and all of the medium and hard. That was a bad idea. It sounds dumb, but DO NOT skip on doing the easy ones. You need to know how to answer the easy questions to get to the hard ones. They seem to easy, but you really should take the time to do them. This practice was invaluable.

Flash Cards & Review
I made flashcards on each topic under Target Test Prep and I reviewed them at least twice a week. It would take me 1-2 hours to go through them all because if I didn't fully remember how to do a problem like that I'd go into the lessons and review that. I think the review helped a LOT. The week of my exam, I reviewed these every day.

Verbal Lessons
I reviewed the Manhattan verbal books once and watched all of the Magoosh verbal lessons. I wrote notes during the process. After reviewing this once, I started practice. This was the key for me!

Verbal Practice
I made a goal to do 20 sentence completion problems every day from Magoosh until I finished them all. This only takes 30 minutes (+15 minutes to review) and it gets you in the habit of seeing common mistakes quickly. The key here is to review the explanation for the answers you got right and wrong, and I'd keep a running list of the rules I didn't know or couldn't remember. I'd review this once a week.

Practice Tests

I'd suggest buying the Manhattan ones and the GMAC ones. Do one every two weeks. I say every two weeks because you need time between each test to do targeted practice on the topics you're weak on and actually focus on improve. I'd also spend ~4 hours after each practice test reviewing my test and really understanding what I got wrong. DEFINITELY buy the GMAC ones. I didn't do that until the week before and really regret that decision. This is because the Manhattan tests are TOO HARD. When I took my first GMAC practice test a week before my real example, I was so confused because it felt too easy. It was so strange. I'd suggest that the month before your actual GMAT you ONLY take GMAC practice tests.

2 weeks before your exam
I didn't do this until 3 days before my exam, but I would have scored higher if I did it earlier - do all the problems in the GMAC book. By this time, you need to be focusing on mixed practice, rather than targeted practice on one lesson. Also, nothing gets closer to the test then the GMAC questions. I wish I did the GMAC questions in the GMAC book earlier. Target Test Prep study plan told me to do this but I didn't listen until the week of. I guess it worked out though!

Timing
When doing the practice tests, figure out at one point you're just going to skip and move on. This was the hardest part for me, but at some point, you just need to guess and keep going. Manhattan has a way to organize your testing pad - that helped me a lot.

Day before my exam
Everyone says not to study the day before your exam or the day of. I agree, but I studied anyways. I think retrospectively - not a good idea, because I was exhausted as I was taking the test, but I felt so behind and I really needed to review the material - so I can't offer any tips here except don't do what I did which was study so much that I barely slept the night before because I couldn't stop thinking about the test.

Summary
  • Get Target Test Prep for quant!!!
    Get Magoosh for verbal practice and do verbal practice everyday (or at least weekday).
    Targeted math practice is important at the beginning.
    Spend a few hours every week just reviewing all your quant flashcards and verbal notes.
    Do mixed practice from the GMAC leading up to the test - I KNOW I would have scored better if I did this.
    Have a timing strategy going into the exam - know what you'll skip.
Good luck!!!!
Thank you very much for you succinct debrief, MBARani180830.

I too am in the proces of stidyong for the GMAT, and I am using TargetTest Prep as well (such a unique, efficient tool!!) My question has to do with the manner in which you studied, and fulfilled the Targettest Prep curriculum. As you covered every section, did you take per every slide you covered or did you take notes once you finished the chapter? How were you able to cover every chapter and complete every chapter quiz?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by amontobin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:39 pm
I am also curious of how you used magoosh for rc. Is it the only source you used? Do you have any advice about rc?

Congrats!

by sanamohammed » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:22 am
Hey! I actually didn't do much RC practice outside of the practice tests I took every other weekend. Sorry I can't be of much help there.