Profile evaluation request

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile evaluation request

by gabrielrc » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 am
Hello all, Can you please assess my profile?
"¢ Demographic: 32-year old white male from Rio de Janeiro - Brazil.
"¢ GMAT Practice tests ranging from 720 to 750. (Gmat scheduled to 1st week of november)
"¢ Undergrad: Petroleum Engineering from prestigious engineering program in Brazil (top 5) - 2.8 GPA (Worked as Geometry teacher preparing students for military academies during most of my time in school)
"¢ Post Graduate Diploma in Business/ Project Management from Fundação Dom Cabral (Top latin America B-school) - 3.6 GPA
"¢ Work experience: 7 years as Drilling Engineer for BP including 3 years of offshore work. Due to the downturn with commodities, i became the Single Point of Accountability for drilling activities in Brazil and worked with Business Development, Project Management and Budgeting. Military Experience with 3+ years of service in the Brazilian Naval Prep Academy and Naval Academy
"¢ Extracurriculars: Public Relations of Students Corps in the Naval Prep Academy, Mathlete and Judo Athlete; Reservoir engineering teaching assistant and Research Assistant fellowship during undergrad.
"¢ Parents without college degree.
"¢ Target schools: Kellogg, Marshall, Goizueta, Imperial School, Bocconi, ESMT.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:2 members

by mbaMissionNishaT » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:23 pm
Hi, and thanks for writing! You have an intriguing profile. What I'd like to understand first is - what made you decide to apply to business school, and what would you like to do in the short-term and long-term after graduating? Also, what is your post-MBA geographic preference?

Look forward to hearing back from you!

gabrielrc wrote:Hello all, Can you please assess my profile?
"¢ Demographic: 32-year old white male from Rio de Janeiro - Brazil.
"¢ GMAT Practice tests ranging from 720 to 750. (Gmat scheduled to 1st week of november)
"¢ Undergrad: Petroleum Engineering from prestigious engineering program in Brazil (top 5) - 2.8 GPA (Worked as Geometry teacher preparing students for military academies during most of my time in school)
"¢ Post Graduate Diploma in Business/ Project Management from Fundação Dom Cabral (Top latin America B-school) - 3.6 GPA
"¢ Work experience: 7 years as Drilling Engineer for BP including 3 years of offshore work. Due to the downturn with commodities, i became the Single Point of Accountability for drilling activities in Brazil and worked with Business Development, Project Management and Budgeting. Military Experience with 3+ years of service in the Brazilian Naval Prep Academy and Naval Academy
"¢ Extracurriculars: Public Relations of Students Corps in the Naval Prep Academy, Mathlete and Judo Athlete; Reservoir engineering teaching assistant and Research Assistant fellowship during undergrad.
"¢ Parents without college degree.
"¢ Target schools: Kellogg, Marshall, Goizueta, Imperial School, Bocconi, ESMT.

by gabrielrc » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:47 am
Hello mbaMissionNishaT, thanks for the prompt reply.

I was always interested on the business aspects of the oilfield industry, i took several business and economics electives in school but in 2014 my technical workload reduced drastically and i started to work with business related issues and realized that i should quit the technical side.

After the MBA, my goal is to work with business development for the energy business. I intend to work as a consultant first and them move to a big energy company.

My priority is to come back to Brazil, but i am also open to work abroad, mainly US or UK.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:2 members

by mbaMissionNishaT » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:56 am
Hi, and thanks for writing back and sharing your goals! Overall, I think you have a diverse and solid profile. A 700+ GMAT would definitely help offset your undergrad GPA. Kellogg is the most competitive school on your list but I think the others are within range for you. In the US, you might also consider Duke (if the sustainability aspect of energy interests you) and UT Austin (given the presence of energy companies in Texas).

Hope that helps and let me know of any other questions!
gabrielrc wrote:Hello mbaMissionNishaT, thanks for the prompt reply.

I was always interested on the business aspects of the oilfield industry, i took several business and economics electives in school but in 2014 my technical workload reduced drastically and i started to work with business related issues and realized that i should quit the technical side.

After the MBA, my goal is to work with business development for the energy business. I intend to work as a consultant first and them move to a big energy company.

My priority is to come back to Brazil, but i am also open to work abroad, mainly US or UK.