Stern vs Yale SOM?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Stern vs Yale SOM?

by navi1784 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:33 am
Hi,
I have applied in Wharton and CBS and bit confused between Yale vs Stern or even you can add Sloan to choose from. I want to apply in one of these 3 (or may be 2):

PS: I know all of these schools are stretch for me based on my GMAT, so not worried about that. I have accepted that fact. A brief about my profile:

Experience- Total around 9, out of which last 5 years in the investment domain, Since last 3 years, I am working in the renewable energy(solar), water, waste, sectors. Now working with Chairman of the largest solar developer in India. So can mention about experience working with CXO, leadership, etc.
GMAT- 690 (Q 98%, V62%).
College: Master of Engineering from one of the top 5 Engineering college in India, 9.2/10 GPA, In undergrads, I am university Gold Medalist. CFA charter holder
Extra curricular: Been associated with couple of good NGOs as a senior team member, working in water sector and rural development. In college, was member of placement cell, Teaching Assistant, and also organised an industry conference. Currently, also volunteer with CFA society in my town.
I have also run an educational venture back in 2010-2012, it was doing well. Also tried another venture in the healthcare last year, but didn't get success.
Post MBA focus- Entrepreneurship. I want to either start my own venture or be part of a start-up (most likely back in India as I would love to do something here for the society to create a positive impact). So key focus is entrepreneurship and impact.

So based on these information and considering the fact that all three schools are stretch, which school I should apply to (in terms of maximum chances).

Kindly revert.

Thanks

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by altamba_expert » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:23 am
As you mentioned, Sloan, Yale, and Stern are all stretch schools given that you are from a tough demographic. I would actually encourage you to apply to all 3 if you can. In terms of higher chances, NYU and Yale are the better bets. But in terms of fit, Yale and Sloan make a lot of sense given your prior experiences and your career goals. Sloan values candidates who are innovative, and so you can demonstrate that through both your professional and extracurricular experiences. Yale really values candidates who have shown a passion for giving back to the community, which you have clearly done. Overall, you seem to have an interesting background - I hope this helps!
Alta MBA, Co-Founder/Managing Partner
https://www.alta.mba/

by navi1784 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 am
Altamba

Thanks for your response and I totally agree with you. I know Sloan value innovation and entrepreneurship, however given its lower acceptance rate, I thought not to apply, considering stretch.
Between Yale and Stern, I was confused. Both have similar acceptance through Yale has higher GMAT, so that's not in my favor. I know Yale value CSR and society work, but then I thought that Stern has more focus on investment/ IB etc. So that was the another thought.
Difficult to apply in all 3. Its not just about spending $250 per application (obviously that's also matter), it is also how many really do you apply. If GMAT is really matter so much, then another thought was to try next year with better GMAT.

I was thinking to apply in INSEAD and LBS (both R3), thought that at least give few try outside Europe as well. Both have lower GMAT than USA, higher acceptance rate and also higher average age. So probably, more chances for me. Do you think R3 would be too late to apply in these schools (they have 4 rounds total).

by altamba_expert » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:10 am
As you correctly noted, a higher GMAT score would improve your chances. Given how competitive the Indian pool is, I typically recommend that Indian candidates apply to at least 6-8 schools. Applying to LBS/INSEAD in Round 3 would be fine - I've worked with candidates who have been successful to those schools in Round 3.

by navi1784 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am
I understand. So I have already applied to 3 schools, if I choose one more from Stern vs Yale, it would be 4.
And then if I apply to INSEAD and LBS, total would be 6, which is fine, isn't it? Will LBS and INSEAD has better chances for me than Yale and Stern?

Another query, any idea about HKUST MBA? Have you ever worked for their applications?

by altamba_expert » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:14 pm
I do think you would have a better chance at LBS and INSEAD. HKUST could be an interesting option also - the school really embraces diversity in its class.

by navi1784 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:46 pm
Ok Thanks. So between Yale and Stern, should I go with Stern as it has lower GMAT, so more chances for me.
Will it appreciate my kind of experience and career goals or you believe Yale has more chances.

by altamba_expert » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:49 am
In my view, your chances will be higher at Stern given the lower GMAT average, and your background should add diversity to the class.

by navi1784 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:53 am
OK thanks. Stern surely I will apply. Do you see any point applying to Yale also if there avg GMAT is so high as compared to my score. I understand they value social work but then I believe many would be applying with similar background, so not something very unique right.
I am totally confused regarding Yale. One thought, let's take a chance and apply. Second, if my GMAT and overall not so impressive, why keep applying in so many schools. It's better to wait for R2 results and get my profile evaluated by at least 3-4 schools.
What you suggest?

by altamba_expert » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:02 am
As already mentioned, a higher GMAT score would make you more competitive given that you are an Indian male. If you are willing to wait one more year to apply and are using this year more as a "see what happens year" then it does make sense to get your GMAT score up and apply to the more competitive schools next year. I guide clients to apply to schools only when they are ready to put their best foot forward.

Good luck!

by navi1784 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:05 am
Ok make sense. I also thought that this year 5-6 schools enough with this score. If I couldn't get a interview even with 5-6, the 7th also won't call me. After all, criteria is same.
More obviously increase your chance, but more of high GMAT will surely not help a lot.