Want to apply to Top 20 B-Schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Want to apply to Top 20 B-Schools

by subhayan1985 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:33 pm
Hi,

I am a Chemical Engineer working as a Business Solutions Architect at General Electric Canada. I report to the Chief Innovation Officer, Canada of GE and lead a team of product developers. I have 9 years of work experience.

I have a masters in Mechanical Engineering. UG from Jadavpur University, India (GPA 4.0) PG GPA 3.6

Have 4 patents and 2 publications in peer reviewed journals. Several conference publications. Received Certificate of Leadership from Crotonville GE and also Six Sigma Certified Greenbelt.

GMAT Score - 710 (Q50 V35). Please let me know which colleges I can target. I am a bit lost on how to proceed? Also, if there are professional guidance available please direct me; I am open to suggestions.

Regards
Subhayan

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am
Hi subhayan1985,

First off, a 710/Q50 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you can apply to any Business Schools that interest you. Depending on the Schools that you ultimately choose to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

As far as choosing which Schools to apply to, the process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]