GPA 2.55 ; GMAT 700 ; WP 2 Yrs 10 Months Prior to Submission

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Following are my education and work profile:

WP 10 Months of Work at U.S. + 2 Years of Work in foreign country upon application submission
GMAT 700
GPA 2.55 at Top 100 U.S. University
(Completed honors program in community college; lost of 2 family members causing me to spend a great deal of time for recovery)

Following are my desired schools and its MBA & related Programs:

Boston University: MBA/MSDi
Northeastern: MBA + MS in Business Analytics
UMass Amherst: MBA + MSB&A
UConn: MBA + MS in Business Analytics and Project Management
Syracuse: MBA + MS in Business Analytics

Anyone please kindly advise my chances of getting accepted in any of the above school and chances of receiving the scholarship. Thanks for your help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:26 pm
You've got an interesting set of data here. Your GPA will be a challenge for pretty much any top business program, but your GMAT is above the median for the schools on your list, so that could provide some balance. If your GPA trajectory tends up over time, or if you have some super-strong years to balance out lower years, that could be an additional point in your favor. Plan on writing an optional essay about it.

So, chances? I'd say this is largely in your hands. Do everything you can to make an ultra-competitive application -- allow yourself a good six months of preparation, visit each school while classes are in session, get to know students and alumni, and write a well-researched, thorough set of materials -- and you should be able to work past the GPA challenge.

Additional coursework may or may not be an asset -- that's something we'd have to review in more depth. You might want to take advantage of our free consultation, to see if what you need is professional guidance. You can sign up for that here: https://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Scholarships to MBA programs are usually merit-based, and will be awarded at the time of admission. Here, your GPA could work against you, but you might have a strong personal story to tell, which could counter-balance the GPA. It sounds like your international exposure might be an asset to draw on as well.
In any case, research scholarships on a case-by-case basis, because each school has a different set of available options.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me