SC: The first oversight board’s philosophy

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Which of the following are correct? (There could be multiple correct options)

The first oversight board's philosophy and its actions, including rulings on complaints and the release of procedural guidelines, have been as influential on the industry now as they were revolutionary during the board's tenure.

The first oversight board's philosophy and its actions, including rulings on complaints and the release of procedural guidelines, are as influential on the industry now as they were revolutionary during the board's tenure.

The first oversight board's philosophy and its actions, including rulings on complaints and the release of procedural guidelines, are as influential on the industry now as they had been revolutionary during the board's tenure.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:38 am
The intention here is to compare a PRESENT state-of-being (how the board's philosophy and its actions ARE influential now) to a PAST state-of-being (how the board's philosophy and its actions WERE revolutionary during the board's tenure).

Only the second option correctly compares a simple present state-of-being with a simple past state-of-being:
The first oversight board's philosophy and its actions...are as influential on the industry now as they were revolutionary during the board's tenure.

There is no justification for usage of the present perfect (have been) in the first option or the usage of the past perfect (had been) in the third option.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sun Light » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:01 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:The intention here is to compare a PRESENT state-of-being (how the board's philosophy and its actions ARE influential now) to a PAST state-of-being (how the board's philosophy and its actions WERE revolutionary during the board's tenure).
Ok
Only the second option correctly compares a simple present state-of-being with a simple past state-of-being:
The first oversight board's philosophy and its actions...are as influential on the industry now as they were revolutionary during the board's tenure.

There is no justification for usage of the present perfect (have been) in the first option or the usage of the past perfect (had been) in the third option.
Is the word "Now" an indicator of the timing? And therefore we are using present tense?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:46 am
Sun Light wrote:Is the word "Now" an indicator of the timing? And therefore we are using present tense?
Correct.
The modifiers now and during the board's tenure make it crystal clear that a PRESENT state-of-being is being compared to a PAST state-of-being.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3