Decisions...Advice?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Decisions...Advice?

by GeauxSwish » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:51 pm
Totally bombed the GMAT.

I'll go on record and say that my study habits weren't that great. I say that as someone who probably spent 6-8 hours studying in a week about two months ahead of the test to 15-20 hours closer to test time. One reason I say my study habits were not great was that my study guide (Kaplan) had five practice tests included and I didnt start using them until 5 weeks out, taking one test per week. Basically, I didnt know my average score until a month out. Bad. By week four or five it was apparent that I was not going to get my "dream" score of cracking 700 or my "need" score of above 600. My score breakdowns for practice tests were

Test 1: 530, 32 Q (27%), 31 V, (61%)
Test 2: 480, 28 Q (19%), 27 V (46%)
Test 3: 580, 36 Q (36%), 33 V (69%)
Test 4: 560, 36 Q (36%), 30 V (58%)
Test 5: 540, 33 Q (30%), 31 V (61%)

This leads us to test day drum-roll...480 25 (12%), 32 (67%)

I'll add that the night before the test I got some really devastating family news. It may have sparked my V score (2nd highest to date) but it KILLED my Q score (an ongoing problem).

But long term, I would say my "dream" score is to crack 700 and based on the type of things that the GMAT looks at I feel that's possible. Additionally, of the scores I have taken all of them kind of put me on the fringe of what I consider my "target" school.

I'm trying to get these applications done for the final deadline in March so I'd have to take the test in the next 50ish days. The way my work (hell my life) is set up, I don't really have time (or the sanity) to devote 20+ hours a week to studying in addition to the application stuff required.

I feel like my two options are retake in February and sort of settle for a score that still might not really position me that well OR dont take the test in February and grind till I'm scoring what I'm comfortable with. Which again presents a different set of problems.

If option A is the suggestion, I need some good math tips cause that score is still butt regardless.

Gracias Amigos

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:17 pm
Hi GeauxSwish,

It's important to remember the REAL goal - to get into your first-choice Business School. As such, you have to think in those terms, and earning a GMAT score that is 'in the range' of what that School finds acceptable (and obviously, the higher the score, the better) should be part of that plan. Right now, raising a 480 to a 600+ will likely take at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and if you're really after a 700+, then you'll likely need at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study.

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) What are the exact application deadlines for those Schools?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by GeauxSwish » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:35 am
First off, thank you.

Little argument from me on that, but without giving away my life story, I say target because that is the school I both want to go to and think I can get into. Sure are there "better" schools, yes. BUT I'm okay with getting other degrees in the long-term so I dont have the same sense of finality.

My list is, Columbia, NYU, Fordham, and Baruch. (LOL What a list right?)
Deadlines are April 12, March 15, June 1 at the latest, and April 1.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:02 am
Hi GeauxSwish,

You've named some highly-competitive Schools - so in addition to a strong GMAT score, you'll need a strong OVERALL profile AND you'll need to properly 'market yourself' to each individual Program. Considering that the deadlines you've listed are for later Rounds at the respective Schools, you might find it better for your long term plans/goals to push back your applications to Round 1 in the Fall. In that way, you can remove the deadline 'pressure' that you'll certainly be facing now and you can focus on significantly improving your GMAT score.

I'm going to work under the assumption that you really want to score in the high-600s or 700s, so you should plan for 3 months of proper, guided study. You won't have to study 20+ hours a week, but 10-15 hours should be the norm (and you should plan to study in small 'chunks' throughout the week). Remember that the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. If your current routine and practice resources aren't helping to make that happen, then you have to look at other options.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:17 pm
I'll add a couple of thoughts to Rich's great advice.

If you retake the test in March, what are you willing to do differently to make that happen?
How will you hold yourself accountable to that process and goal.
I would recommend you consider support beyond self-study. There are many options.

If you're putting off your application date, then what is the long-term plan in how to achieve your goal? It needs to be sustainable and reasonable, because....you need to know what you're willing to do differently to make that happen. Yes. same question as above. Get it on a calendar and set yourself up for success.

I agree that it could take 2 - 3 months to get there...yes. this test is extremely coachable, predictable, and improvable-on.

So: what are you going to do next?

Let us know! Good luck!
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c