Reinstating an older GMAT score to show dedication

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks so much for reading my post.

I am applying round 2 to a handful of the top 10 schools and am looking to optimize an area of my application but am unsure. For background, I sat for the GMAT multiple times, throughout this year:

July: 640 cancelled
October: 660 cancelled
October: 680 cancelled
November: 710 (47Q, 40V, 6AWA, 7IR) (FINALLY)

I actually intended to apply round 1 to schools but was gated due to the lacking gmat score. Now that I have the score i am set to apply round 2 but am wondering.. should I reinstate my score from July in order to show progress and perseverance? I do not want the schools to interpret my late posting of my score as if I am not serious about B School. If I don't reinstate I will just send in my November score and call it a day.

Let me know your thoughts. Greatly appreciate it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by VantagePointMBA » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:43 am
Hi there,

That's a great question! Honestly, I don't think it will really help to reinstate old scores. Applicants have a wide variety of reasons for their GMAT test taking timeline and the adcom is not automatically jumping to the conclusion that you're not serious about getting an MBA just because of your late test date unless other aspects of your application lead them to believe so. At this point, your time will be best spent finalizing some killer essays (with a cohesive story, clear goals, clear reasons for pursuing an MBA now, etc.), tightening up your resume, and making sure that your recommenders have everything they need to write great LORs. That total package is much more important.

If you're one of those people who is always going to doubt your decision, then sure, it can't hurt to reinstate old scores. But it won't be a deal breaker (or deal maker) either way.

Best of luck to you!

Best,
Melody
Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting

We are admissions consulting: reimagined. Click here to learn more!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:30 pm
Agree.

Applicants take tests at different times of the year depending on their individual constraints, which adcoms understand. So, taking test a month or so before the deadline isn't going to raise any questions on your commitment to pursue an MBA.

Either way - reinstating or not reinstating - you're fine. So why reinstate.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis