How do I score well in Sentence Correction?Books/online cour

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey guys!

Just took the GMAT today and I scored a disappointing 17 on Verbal! :(
I realized my time management went wrong on verbal and I KNOW it's because of SC.
I ended up spending too much time on SC that I had to rush through questions towards the end of the section.(had about 12 questions and only 10 mins left :( )

I have used the following resources for SC:
1)OG12
2)Manhattan SC( read through the book twice and also worked out the OG problems from it)

My main problem on SC is that I find it difficult to narrow down on the type of errors.
Parallelism is the only thing that's easy for me to locate.For the others,I just end up trying to plug in all the answers choices and select whatever feels right to my ear.This I guess is very time consuming.

Could someone please suggest a way I can improve my SC skills? I would also like to practice more for the verbal section and would like to know which resources I could use for verbal practice tests?

Thanks a ton!

I really have to beat the gmat!

GMAT Score:690

by jonnyutz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:51 pm
I need help with this also. I just took the GMAT today and got a 560 (q43, v25). I have found that the MGMAT verbal questions are much easier than the actual test and than the GMAT PREP questions. I got as high as v38 on MGMAT but never got higher than V27 on the GMAT PREP (taken both tests twice). I need help as well. Anyone suggest a particular company for private tutoring?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 pm
The Official Guide is not an appropriate resource to learn from but should rather be used to only test your already acquired knowledge. I think you should go through a really comprehensive course devoted to Sentence Correction or find a private tutor who can work with you on your weaker subjects and who will most importantly help you identify them.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by GMAT Kolaveri » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:34 pm
Regards and Thanks,
Vinoth@GMAT Kolaveri
https://www.facebook.com/GmatKolaveri
https://gmatkolaveri.tumblr.com/

Click the thank you button if you like my reply :)

by jonnyutz » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:53 pm
Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I know this thread is quite old. After getting the disappointing 560 score, I lost all motivation and took several years off. I have just recently started studying again and took a whole new approach to studying.

I just took GMAT Prep 1 for the first time in almost 5 years and was expecting another terrible score and to my surprise I got a 710 (Q47 V41). I am so relieved that there may be a chance to finally beat the GMAT. This was the first CAT I have taken in my recent studies. Is it possible to maintain this momentum?

As a side note: I used the egmat SC course coupled with the MGMAT Sentence Correction guide. The key for me was using both sources ans I felt they complimented each other.

by jonnyutz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:30 pm
All,

I just got finished taking the GMAT, 4 years after this post. I finally got motivated again and finally met my goal. I received a 690 (Q49, V35) with a goal of 670. I am happy to be done and I can say the following really helped my success:

- GMAT Prep Exams 1 - 4 (Exams 3 and 4 had way harder verbal sections... possibly harder than the actual GMAT)
- GMAT OG 2017
- GMAT verbal review 2017
- MGMAT Sentence Correction Guide
- Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible
-EGMAT Sentence Correction Course

My struggle had always been on sentence correction even though I am a native speaker. I really believe the combination of EGMAT and MGMAT sentence correction was the key to my success. I think each one individually may not have been enough, but together it really helped. I am relieved that after years of agony, I can finally say that I am done!