As if this vast local power(subjunctive)

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

As if this vast local power(subjunctive)

by gocoder » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:34 am
As if this vast local power in the tendinous tail was not enough, the whole bulk of the leviathan is knit over with a warp and woof of muscular fibres and filaments, and while passing on either side of the loins and running down into the flukes, insensibly blend with them, and largely contribute to their might.

A.was not enough, the whole bulk of the leviathan is knit over with a warp and woof of muscular fibres and filaments, and while passing on either side of the loins and running

B.were not enough, the whole bulk of the leviathan is knit over with a warp and woof of muscular fibres and filaments, which passing on either side of the loins and running

C.was not enough, the whole bulk of the leviathan is knit over with a warp and woof of muscular fibres and filaments, while they pass on either side of the loins, run

D.was not enough, the whole bulk of the leviathan is knit over with a warp and woof of muscular fibres and filaments, which pass on either side of the loins and run

E.were not enough, the whole bulk of the leviathan is knit over with a warp and woof of muscular fibres and filaments, pass on either side of the loins and while running

Here, we are talking about hypothetical case. So, subjunctive is required.
The choices are filtered out to B and E.

E looks like a fragment.

B.As if this vast local power in the tendinous tail were not enough, the whole bulk of the leviathan is knit over with a warp and woof of muscular fibres and filaments, which passing on either side of the loins and running down into the flukes, insensibly blend with them, and largely contribute to their might.

The above sentence implies this:
filaments are passing on either side of the loins and running down.

But I couldn't understand to what 'blend' and 'contribute' refer. In other words, what is the subject: the bulk or Fibres and filaments ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:18 am
gocoder wrote:B.As if this vast local power in the tendinous tail were not enough, the whole bulk of the leviathan is knit over with a warp and woof of muscular fibres and filaments, which passing on either side of the loins and running down into the flukes, insensibly blend with them, and largely contribute to their might.

The above sentence implies this:
filaments are passing on either side of the loins and running down.

But I couldn't understand to what 'blend' and 'contribute' refer. In other words, what is the subject: the bulk or Fibres and filaments ?
What does the bulk do?

What does "which" refer to?

(I think there should be a comma after "which".)
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by gocoder » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:24 am
Marty Murray wrote:
What does the bulk do?

Does it mean this: "passing on either side of the loins and running" modifies bulk.

which blend and contribute modify "filaments" ?

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:32 am
gocoder wrote:
Marty Murray wrote:
What does the bulk do?

Does it mean this: "passing on either side of the loins and running" modifies bulk.
Nope.

What is knit over with a warp and woof?
which blend and contribute modify "filaments" ?
Basically, or even "muscular fibres and filaments, which ... blend ... and contribute ..."
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

by gocoder » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:01 pm
Marty Murray wrote:

Basically, or even "muscular fibres and filaments, which ... blend ... and contribute ..."
I think I've understand this:
The whole bulk of the leviathan is knit over with a warp and woof of muscular fibres and filaments, which[muscular fibres and filaments], passing on either side of the loins and running down into the flukes, insensibly blend with them, and largely contribute to their might.

PS: Adding the comma after "which" simplifies this question.

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:40 am
gocoder wrote:
Marty Murray wrote:

I think I've understand this:
The whole bulk of the leviathan is knit over with a warp and woof of muscular fibres and filaments, which[muscular fibres and filaments], passing on either side of the loins and running down into the flukes, insensibly blend with them, and largely contribute to their might.

PS: Adding the comma after "which" simplifies this question.
Ok, now you have nailed it. Nice.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com