Advice about Best GMAT prep

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advice about Best GMAT prep

by Tommiz95 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:24 am
Hi

I'm an italian student trying to prepare the GMAT. My primary problem is to improve my verbal skills because, at the moment, they're very low. So I'm looking for a cheap prep plan that can make me succeed in GMAT.

From other posts it seems that e-gmat is the best preparation for the verbal part and empowerGMAT the best one for the quantitative part.

Since I'm not able to buy both of them, I ask you an advice. How can I succeed in GMAT without spend a lot of money?
Is there the possibility to well prepare the quantitative part for free so I can spend the money for the e-gmat verbal part only?

Thanks,
Tommaso

P.s. sorry for my not perfect english

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:46 am
Hi Tommiz95,

It sounds like you're just starting out. Is that true? Have you done any studying so far?

If you're just beginning, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a bit of practice first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the general content and question types first, then that's fine - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Tommiz95 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:35 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Tommiz95,

It sounds like you're just starting out. Is that true? Have you done any studying so far?

If you're just beginning, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a bit of practice first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the general content and question types first, then that's fine - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich
Hi Rich,

I'm going to answer to your questions:

Yes I'm just starting out. I bought GMAT official guide and I start watching some free video lessons on e-gmat.com

1) I don't have a precise goal score but, since I think I have a lot of capacity I'd like to take a score from 730 to 750. I know it is an high score but I will take the GMAT only if I will be "sure" to have a possibility to take a score like this. The reason is that I'm looking for something that can give me a chance to take a scholarship, without which I can't move from Italy to take an "high level" Master degree.

2) I'm planning to take the GMAT in February, maximun in March. The reason is linked to the application deadlines (a lot of school, unfortunately, close the application before February)

3) As I sad before, I'm planning to apply in March, maximun in April (if possible)

Thanks for your help

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:58 pm
Hi Tommiz95,

With a Test Date in February or March, you have plenty of time to study - although you'll have to be consistent with your studies during that time. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you'll have to be efficient with your studies. Once you have that first CAT score, you should report back here.

Rich

by Tommiz95 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:46 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Tommiz95,

With a Test Date in February or March, you have plenty of time to study - although you'll have to be consistent with your studies during that time. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you'll have to be efficient with your studies. Once you have that first CAT score, you should report back here.

Rich
Hi Rich,

I had my first CAT score and I'm going to report it to you:

I had a 530 total score, 44 Quantitative and 19 verbal (I told you I was very bad on verbal).

Now I'm asking to your advice. I receive today an offer from e-gmat: they offer me the verbal online course for 179$, but it will be valid only till November so I'm waiting for your advice in order to know if I had to buy it or not.

Waiting for you answer,
Tommaso

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:01 pm
Hi Tommaso,

A 530 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). With a score goal of 730+ however, you will have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

1) How many hours do you think you can study each week going forward?

Rich

by Tommiz95 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:47 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi Tommaso,

A 530 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). With a score goal of 730+ however, you will have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

1) How many hours do you think you can study each week going forward?

Rich
Hi Rich,

I think I could study 10/12 hours a week, sometimes maybe more.

Thanks,
Tommaso

P.s I have this offer from e-gmat. In case you can't advice me before the night, what do.you think about e-gmat verbal online course? If I receive you're ok l, I will buy it today

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:27 am
Tommiz95 wrote:Hi

I'm an italian student trying to prepare the GMAT. My primary problem is to improve my verbal skills because, at the moment, they're very low. So I'm looking for a cheap prep plan that can make me succeed in GMAT.

From other posts it seems that e-gmat is the best preparation for the verbal part and empowerGMAT the best one for the quantitative part.

Since I'm not able to buy both of them, I ask you an advice. How can I succeed in GMAT without spend a lot of money?
Is there the possibility to well prepare the quantitative part for free so I can spend the money for the e-gmat verbal part only?

Thanks,
Tommaso

P.s. sorry for my not perfect english
Most companies off free trials, so give the different platforms a whirl and see what feels most comfortable for you. (Here's our free app, which contains pre-recorded lessons: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmat-vi ... 60224?mt=8

And a question bank for additional drilling: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:59 am
Hi Tommaso,

If you can consistently put in that amount of study time each week, then you could conceivably improve a great deal over several months.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

Rich

by Tommiz95 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:17 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi Tommaso,

If you can consistently put in that amount of study time each week, then you could conceivably improve a great deal over several months.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

Rich
Hi Rich!

I finally bought the e-gmat verbal online course because I read a lot of god review about it.
Now I'm looking for free resources for the quant part and, in particular, for a study plan.

Thanks,
Tommaso

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:36 am
Tommiz95 wrote: How can I succeed in GMAT without spend a lot of money?

Thanks,
Tommaso
Hi Tommaso,

You might want to check out our free GMAT course (https://www.gmatprepnow.com/). It covers everything you need to know on the GMAT.
You can also use it in conjunction with BTG's 60-day study guide - https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by Tommiz95 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:44 am
Hi everyone,

At the end I bought e-gmat verbal online course. Now I'm trying to find a way to prepare the quantitative part only with free resources. So, if anyone has some advice, it will be great for me.

thanks,
Tommaso

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:35 pm
Tommiz95 wrote:Hi everyone,

At the end I bought e-gmat verbal online course. Now I'm trying to find a way to prepare the quantitative part only with free resources. So, if anyone has some advice, it will be great for me.

thanks,
Tommaso
You can find information on various quant topics by doing internet searches. Try "GMAT triangles" for instance. You'll see.

Also, to get a sense of how to go about increasing your GMAT quant score, you could check out this post. How To Increase Your GMAT Quant Score
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.