Do I need to explain? 1st try 660, 2nd try 760

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

The first time I took the GMAT I got a 660. I got 50 / 95% on Math and 30/59 % on Verbal. On the practice tests before the GMAT, I was scoring 730-740 with a noticable different in Verbal. However, I was not taking the test in a strict 4 hour time period. I'd do the math at some point and maybe the verbal a day later. I account my 660 to the fact that I was not prepared for the total duration of the test and by the time I got to Verbal I could not think staight.

I was upset with my score so I bought some more books and practiced on my own taking the test with the Math/Verbal together. About 6 months later I retook it and got a 760. 50 / 95% on Math and 44 / 97% on Verbal.

So, the question is, for top 10 schools where you must report both scores in the application, should I explain why this happened?

And, should I put the above truth, or an excuse like that I was sick the first time?

Thanks,

Brian

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:27 pm
Hey GT,
Congrats on your score. As you probably know, AdCom will look only at your best GMAT score. However, yes - I would address this in your optional essay. Explain that you didnt score as best as you should have and therefore retook the test. How you 'spin' the story is up to you ;)

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep