Need help with selecting MBA program

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help with selecting MBA program

by shounakjoshi » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:24 am
Hi All,

I have been applying to MBA admissions off late and I am able to secure 2 admissions til now.

1) USC Marshall - IBEAR MBA 30% scholarship
2) UW Foster - GEMBA with 15% scholarship

Both are 1 year full time programs in USA.

about my profile :

Qualifications: Bachelors in Electronics engineering.
Work-experience: 10+ Yrs in ERP consulting and ERP product development.
International experience: 3 Yrs in USA - Onsite Coordinator and Project Management.

Interested in - 1 year MBA in US that can propel my career towards higher designations and Management and leadership roles

Post MBA Career aspiration - IT Infrastructure/Strategy Consulting; IT Product Management.

Things work in Favor of USC -
1)Old program with 39 batches already graduated.
2)Proper campus placement infrastructure.

Challenges being at USC -
1)Expensive.
2)Even with Campus placements, students find it difficult to get placed.

Things work in Favor of UW -
1) Higher ranked school
2) Comparatively cheaper even with lesser scholarship

1)No infrastructures for placements from school. Only networking opportunity

Both schools have stellar alumni network.

Waiting for 2 more admission decisions -

1) SMU Cox - Fast Track MBA
2) Simon - 2 year MBA.

I am seeking expert advice that can help me decide which one to go for.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:03 am
Compare each program for its ability to help you move to your short term goal, geographically as well as per industry etc. the schools are reasonably similar in overall competitiveness. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:46 am
shounakjoshi wrote:Hi All,
First Congratulations on having choices and scholarships! I would say that you should try to visit each program if you can- and if you can't talk to as many students, faculty and staff as you can- also career management- so you have a very realistic idea of what to expect at each school. The downside of the 1 yr program is that you don't have the internship which can be very helpful in getting the employment contacts. I think from what you describe I would be leaning to UW. I think there are some excellent career relationships with SMUCox so you may give that a close look also if you are accepted. Especially if you have any interest in working in Dallas. But I think with your technology and IT interests, I would accept UW because there are many interesting tech options out there. Best of luck to you!
I have been applying to MBA admissions off late and I am able to secure 2 admissions til now.

about my profile :

International experience: 3 Yrs in USA - Onsite Coordinator and Project Management.

Interested in - 1 year MBA in US that can propel my career towards higher designations and Management and leadership roles

Post MBA Career aspiration - IT Infrastructure/Strategy Consulting; IT Product Management.

1)Expensive.

1) Higher ranked school

2) Simon - 2 year MBA.

by shounakjoshi » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:04 pm
Thanks Donna. I really appreciate your guidance.

I spoke to about 10 students from india who joined USC IBEAR and their reviews were mixed. While all of them agreed that the quality of education was no less than excellent, their views differed on employment post MBA. One thing is sure that Jobs are not easy to come by mainly when you are an international student.

The thing that would keep my nose above water, is my H1b which still has 3.5 years left on it. But would that be an advantage enough for me to sustain the harsh job market? The second point that I consider important to consider is USC's willingness to give IBEAR student same access to its campus recruitments as it gives to Full time MBA students. Would that be a game changer?

As far as UW is concerned, the program is very new and the alumni is difficult to connect. I am able to connect to 1 student who was not so excited while replying my queries and was pushing me to pursue 2 year MBA. I am trying to connect to another but no luck yet.

Moreover, UW made very clear that they don't provide the same kind of career development/placement support that their 2-year MBA program does. they'll facilitate opportunities to network and hear from leading business professionals through Foster events, along with the other students, but in terms of more active career coaching and professional development - they dont provide that at the level that their 2-year MBA does.

About adcoms, UW is much better in approach and I find them helpful while USC seems to have 'take it or leave it' attitude. Does that say anything?

BTW I am looking forward for SMU and keeping fingers crossed. i have worked in San antonio before and I so love texas.

Lastly few questions -

1) Is UW location will make it great option considering my IT and Tech Background?
2) Will UWs lack of recruitment infrastructure and newbie program status wont play much part?
3) I am also thinking about long term career trajectory. In that terms, what would be your pick?

Regards,
SJ.

Donna@StratusPrep wrote:
shounakjoshi wrote:Hi All,
First Congratulations on having choices and scholarships! I would say that you should try to visit each program if you can- and if you can't talk to as many students, faculty and staff as you can- also career management- so you have a very realistic idea of what to expect at each school. The downside of the 1 yr program is that you don't have the internship which can be very helpful in getting the employment contacts. I think from what you describe I would be leaning to UW. I think there are some excellent career relationships with SMUCox so you may give that a close look also if you are accepted. Especially if you have any interest in working in Dallas. But I think with your technology and IT interests, I would accept UW because there are many interesting tech options out there. Best of luck to you!

about my profile :

1)Expensive.

1) Higher ranked school

2) Simon - 2 year MBA.

by shounakjoshi » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:10 pm
Thanks Alex.

Actually i have done some research but none is coming out as clear favorite. They both have few hits and few misses, which make these program almost equally good. I would like to hear from experts, about their experiences about these programs and if any of their students made to these programs and how was their journey.

Regards,
Shounak Joshi
Alexbr@ClearAdmit wrote:Compare each program for its ability to help you move to your short term goal, geographically as well as per industry etc. the schools are reasonably similar in overall competitiveness. cheers, Alex

by shounakjoshi » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:50 pm
All,

There is another update -

1) SMU Cox - Fast Track MBA - Admit - No scholarship
2) Simon - 2 year MBA - Waitlisted.

Its problem of plenty now :)