Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame’s inn

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame's innovative study relies not on the records of White slave owners but on the records of the salves themselves, especially the 70 or so autobiographies and memoirs that have been preserved.
A. that of earlier words on slavery, Blassingame's
B. that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his
C. earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his
D. earlier works on slavery, Blassingame's
E. the earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his

Stuck with above problem looking for some guidance how to attack above problem. Appreciate help.

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:24 pm
Anaira Mitch wrote:Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame's innovative study relies not on the records of White slave owners but on the records of the salves themselves, especially the 70 or so autobiographies and memoirs that have been preserved.

Stuck with above problem looking for some guidance how to attack above problem. Appreciate help.
Hi GMATGuru,

I have found that you answered the above question in the following link: https://www.beatthegmat.com/comparison-t60046.html

However, can you shed some light on answer A and D in details??? Why answer is wrong? what does 'that' actually refer to?

Thanks in advance

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by melguy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:55 pm
B that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his
C earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his
E the earlier works on slavery, Blassingame in his

Above three are outright wrong as they are comparing a person to a study / work. We can only compare earlier work to Blassingame's work and not Blassingame (a person).

A that of earlier words on slavery, Blassingame's

Too wordy.

We are left with only answer choice D

In SC you must always try and eliminate answer choices instead of picking one and trying to justify that answer choice.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:36 am
Anaira Mitch wrote:Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame's innovative study relies not on the records of White slave owners but on the records of the salves themselves, especially the 70 or so autobiographies and memoirs that have been preserved.
A: Unlike that of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame's innovative study
Here, that seems to refer to innovative study, conveying the following comparison:
Unlike the innovative study of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame's innovative study
The phrase in red distorts the intended meaning, implying a comparison between Blassingame's innovative study of earlier works to another innovative study of earlier works.
The intention is to compare Blassingame's study of SLAVERY to other studies of slavery.
Eliminate A.

B: Unlike that of earlier works, Blassingmame
Here, that lacks a clear referent.
Moreover, Blassingame (a person) is illogically compared to that of earlier works (a non-person).
Eliminate B.

C: Unlike earlier works, Blassingame
E: Unlike the earlier works, Blassingame
In these options, Blassingame (a person) is illogically compared to earlier works (a non-person noun).
Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is D.

D: Unlike earlier works on slavery, Blassingame's innovative study
Here, Blassingame's innovative study is logically compared to earlier works on slavery.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:47 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Here, that seems to refer to innovative study, conveying the following comparison:
Unlike the innovative study of earlier works on slavery, Blassingame's innovative study
The phrase in red distorts the intended meaning, implying a comparison between Blassingame's innovative study of earlier works to another innovative study of earlier works.
The intention is to compare Blassingame's study of SLAVERY to other studies of slavery.
Eliminate A.
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for comprehensive explanation.

I have very specific question about 'that' in choice A. When we try to find to what 'that' refers, do you we take all noun with its modifiers? To be more specific in the example above, does 'that' refers to 'Blassingame's innovative study' or 'innovative study'???

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:43 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Eliminate A.
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for comprehensive explanation.

I have very specific question about 'that' in choice A. When we try to find to what 'that' refers, do you we take all noun with its modifiers? To be more specific in the example above, does 'that' refers to 'Blassingame's innovative study' or 'innovative study'???

Thanks
This question cannot be answered because the comparison in A is illogical.
A logical comparison:
Blassingame's study, unlike that of his rival, Professor Jones, relies on historical evidence.
Here, that is standing in for study, with the modifier in red serving to replace the modifier in blue.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3