Do I need to explain? 1st try 660, 2nd 760

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

The first time I took the GMAT I got a 660. I got 50 / 95% on Math and 30/59 % on Verbal. On the practice tests before the GMAT, I was scoring 730-740 with a noticable different in Verbal. However, I was not taking the test in a strict 4 hour time period. I'd do the math at some point and maybe the verbal a day later. I account my 660 to the fact that I was not prepared for the total duration of the test and by the time I got to Verbal I could not think staight.

I was upset with my score so I bought some more books and practiced on my own taking the test with the Math/Verbal together. About 6 months later I retook it and got a 760. 50 / 95% on Math and 44 / 97% on Verbal.

So, the question is, for top 10 schools where you must report both scores in the application, should I explain why this happened?

And, should I put the above truth, or an excuse like that I was sick the first time?

Thanks,

Brian

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 pm
Dear Brian,

I'm not sure this increase warrants an explanation. Many folks increase their score, sometimes dramatically, by changing their study methods or taking a prep course. If you feel like you need to give an explanation, then simply state that you changed your study methods for the second attempt.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me