GMAT Debrief: From 670 to 710 with EMPOWERgmat

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Books & materials used
  • Official Guide 13th Ed
  • EmpowerGMAT review guides and online videos
  • GMATClub + Beat the GMAT forums
CAT (all official GMAT Prep) Results and Official Score
  • Official Exam: 07/24/15; 670 Q 44 V 38 IR 4 AWA 5.5
  • CAT 1: 06/25/16; 710 Q 47 V 41 IR 5
  • CAT 2: 07/10/16; 650 Q 47 V 34 IR 7
  • CAT 3: 07/24/16; 710 Q 48 V 38 IR 4
  • CAT 4: 08/06/16; 700 Q 47 V 39 IR 4
  • CAT 5: 09/03/16; 710 Q 47 V 41 IR 8
  • CAT 6: 09/10/16; 720 Q 47 V 42 IR 7
  • Official Exam: 09/19/16; 710 Q 47 V 41 IR 8 AWA 6
Background information
  • Education: BS in Business Administration with a major in Finance from a top 25 U.S. public university
  • Employment: Strategy consulting analyst
  • Post-MBA target industry: Tech strategy & bizops
General strategy

In late June of 2016, I started the EMPOWERgmat full plan after scoring a 670 Q44/V38 in July 2015. In my first round with the GMAT, I self-studied with some hand-me-down Manhattan Prep strategy guides and the 13th Ed Official Guide. It was a decent foundation, but I lacked the finer points (e.g. timing and triage) required to hit my goal score (>700).

After reading many positive reviews about EMPOWERgmat's course, particularly its TEST IT, TEST THE ANSWER, and TRIAGE tactics, I decided to enroll. At $349 for 3 months with GMAT Prep Exam Packs 1 and 2 ($100 value) included, it was a steal. Regardless of which prep material I chose, I would have purchased the exam packs, so that made EMPOWERgmat's course $249 for 3 months in my opinion. Even better.

I spent 87 days and ~200 hours on prep (I tracked everything). The course allowed me to understand how the exam worked and how to train/practice/instill the right habits to succeed on test day. The biggest difference that I noticed on test day was the absence of anxiety/pressure to answer every question correctly. If I spent too much time on a question, I triaged it. I came across a multi-shape geometry question and ditched it immediately. I applied Test It at least a dozen times. On Verbal, I knew how to read each CR answer with intense skepticism. It was much easier to eliminate answers after watching Max's videos. I felt prepared and confident.

Takeaways and Advice
  • Take practice CATs under real test-like conditions
  • Give yourself enough time to perform an autopsy after each CAT (I wish I did that more thoroughly)
  • Read the news (especially op-eds) with a critical mind, it becomes easier and easier to identify reasoning flaws (e.g. past performance is not indicative of future performance) in writing
  • Maintain a consistent schedule (try to study at the same time each day)
  • Eat well
  • Workout (especially cardio). Running would help clear my mind and de-stress.