Help with Studying and Producing Plan, Aiming for 650+

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I have been studying for the GMAT since September alongside 4 college courses as I am a senior finishing up my last year. My GMAT exam is on 11/22/2016. I try to dedicate time to my studies, but after a long day of homework and classes, I do not prioritize my GMAT studies as much as I should.

I took my first practice test today and only got a score of 480 (30 quantitative. and 32 verbal). My plan is to take this exam on my scheduled test date and then another in April or May. But after my CAT practice today, I am feeling very down and thinking about pushing the second exam to maybe July or August.

The only study tool that I have been using is the 2017 Kaplan book. I have been researching more into other tools, specifically Manhattan Prep, but I don't know if it will be a worthwhile investment. I need advice on studying because I am someone who needs structure and a solid plan, so any advice will be awesome.

I want to do well and I know I will have much more time come December as I will be finished with my degree and only taking 2-3 light classes in the Spring.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:39 pm
Hi kbui001,

From what you described, you haven't been studying much AND you are not near your score goal, so there is no good reason to take the GMAT on November 22nd. As such, it would be better for you to pay $50 and push back this Test Date than to take the Test as scheduled and spend another $250 taking it again later.

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet. Beyond putting in more study time, you also have to be consistent about your studies. Before I can offer you the additional advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kbui001 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:39 am
After lots of thinking and consideration, I decided to reschedule my exam for April. Thank you for your advice Rich.

My goal score is 660 and I am planning to apply to Budiness Schools in September 2017. The schools I am looking at are George Washington University and American University.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:35 am
Hi kbui001.

Given your quant score on that test and what you said about needing structure, I think you would do well with Target Test Prep for quant. Check it out. Five days free, well for $1, to start.

If your quant basics are not great, then before using TTP, probably you would be best off brushing up your math skills.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:39 am
Hi kbui001,

With your score goal, you would need to improve 180+ points and that is going to take some considerable time and effort (and you'll have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections).

Beyond doing lots of practice problems though, you need consistent, professional guidance, so that you can learn all of the patterns, tactics and 'secrets' of the GMAT (without having to try to figure out all of that stuff on your own). You would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]