gmat prep mock scores varying randomly

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

gmat prep mock scores varying randomly

by Biji » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:25 pm
Hi,

So i have my exam scheduled on the 17th of this month and I have taken 3 GMATprep tests so far.

GMAT prep 1 : 660 (was a retake after 2 months) (Q:48, V:33)
GMAT prep 2 : 720 (was a retake after 2 months)(Q:49,V:39) - my first 700+
GMAT prep 3 : 560 ( new) (Q: 46, V:22)

I have one more GMAT prep left from the 2nd exam pack. What do I do with such variable scores? I agree I was totally stressed out in my last GMAT prep test. I have no direction. Please help

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: GMAT Prep mock scores

by MartyMurray » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:29 pm
Hi Biji.

First of all, retakes after a couple of months are still retakes. Even if you don't recall the exact answer to a repeated question, in some way you recall the pattern of the question and the path to the right answer. Meanwhile, even a few repeated questions can significantly reduce the time pressure one experiences when taking the GMAT.

So while retakes can be useful, often the scores that they generate can be significantly inflated and the practice they provide may not be realistic.

So my first suggestion is that you don't count on scores generated by retakes.

Now, for some direction, let's break things down some.

Your quant score is pretty solid. You said that you were stressed out when you took that last test. So your mindset was likely a factor in the drop in your quant score. I say over the next almost two weeks that you have left, continue to go over your less strong areas in quant. By getting stronger in those areas you will increase your confidence, reduce stress and increase your score.

Regarding verbal, it seems likely that that drop to V22 was partly due to mindset. Still, I wonder how it could have dropped so far unless there are flaws in your processes for handling verbal questions.

So possibly the answer in verbal is to focus on process at this point. Likely you know enough about GMAT verbal. If that is the case, now you have to be better at consistently getting right answer to verbal questions.

One way to do that is to carefully work on verbal questions, shooting for a high hit rate, something close to 90 or 100%. When you don't get a question right, consider the following two things, what you needed to see in order to get it right and what about your process led you to the wrong answer rather than the right answer.

By getting better at seeing what you need to see and by refining your processes for arriving at answers, within a week or two you should see more consistent results in verbal. Recently I saw someone in under a week jump from V28 to V42 by doing just those things. He didn't have to learn more about GMAT verbal. He had to become better at applying what he already knew and at seeing what he needs to see and he had to improve his processes for selecting answers.

Overall, learn to stay cool and just work on getting right answers. Mindset can be huge. So keep calm and carry on.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Biji » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:01 pm
Thank you! One more thing I do is taking sectional parts of the OG for verbal and Quant by timing myself to 75 minutes each. I see tat I do well in those questions. What can explain the discrepancy with mock scores and my practice sectional scores?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

Re: GMAT Prep mock scores varying

by MartyMurray » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:15 pm
Biji wrote:Thank you! One more thing I do is taking sectional parts of the OG for verbal and Quant by timing myself to 75 minutes each. I see tat I do well in those questions. What can explain the discrepancy with mock scores and my practice sectional scores?
Here are two possible factors.

Completing a section in 75 minutes is less stressful and tiring that completing a four section test.

Most of the questions in the OG are not as hard as those one would see when scoring at a relatively high level on the test.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:08 am
Hi Biji,

To start, since your Test Date is less than 2 weeks away, you might consider paying the $50 fee and rescheduling your Exam. Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's likely what happened here. Retaking a CAT that you've already taken (even if it's 2 months later) will likely NOT provide a realistic score result. Given the three scores that you've listed, we can't reasonably assume that the 660 and 720 are accurate. What were your scores when you took those CATs ORIGINALLY? How does the 560 compare to those scores?

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]