Starting my Prep ... where to start? :/

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Starting my Prep ... where to start? :/

by WhitleyM » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:52 am
Good morning all,

I am starting my GMAT journey and I feel so overwhelmed. I have taken 3 practice test didnt do to well. I took 2 in the proper testing conditions and received a 460. When I took it at work with pausing the test and breaks I got a 650. That being said I wouldn't be able to get that score on the real test.

I plan on taking the test in January for this program I applied to. I need at least a 500. I plan on enrolling in a course in February with plans of taking the test April/May for a score for school. If I need to take it again I will take it in July. I want at least a 680 higher the 700 range would be amazing. Aiming for the moon!

I need some advice on where to start for these 2 months of studying alone I know that I need to refresh on formulas and the basics.

I have Official GMAT book 2016 and 2013
I have all the Manhattan GMAT books 5th edition
and I have the Veritas books from 2014
I have download the GMAT Prep software

So I have tons of material. I just dont know where to start. HELPPPPP !

Thanks ,
Whitley

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:51 am
Hi WhitleyM,

I'm hoping that you can provide a bit more information to clarify your situation:

1) If you're just starting out, then why did you take 3 practice CATs?
2) You say that you "need" a 500, but that your goal is 680+. How do you know that you just need a 500? Why is your personal goal so much higher than that?
3) You say that you're going to take the GMAT in January, but that you're starting a course in February (and then taking the Test - again? - in April/May). Why take the GMAT in January if you're already planning to take a Course later on?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 am
WhitleyM wrote:Good morning all,

I am starting my GMAT journey and I feel so overwhelmed. I have taken 3 practice test didnt do to well. I took 2 in the proper testing conditions and received a 460. When I took it at work with pausing the test and breaks I got a 650. That being said I wouldn't be able to get that score on the real test.

I plan on taking the test in January for this program I applied to. I need at least a 500. I plan on enrolling in a course in February with plans of taking the test April/May for a score for school. If I need to take it again I will take it in July. I want at least a 680 higher the 700 range would be amazing. Aiming for the moon!

I need some advice on where to start for these 2 months of studying alone I know that I need to refresh on formulas and the basics.

I have Official GMAT book 2016 and 2013
I have all the Manhattan GMAT books 5th edition
and I have the Veritas books from 2014
I have download the GMAT Prep software

So I have tons of material. I just dont know where to start. HELPPPPP !

Thanks ,
Whitley
The first step is to structure your study plan. First, pick which set of lesson books you want to use. (Try both to see which set is more compatible with your learning style.) You'll want to have completed the full set within 4-5 weeks. Anytime you complete a book, assemble a summary sheet that contains the most important takeaways/formulas, and continually return to these summary sheets so that you remain sharp in all content areas.

Next, set up a schedule for practice tests. Different people have different philosophies here, but I think it makes sense to give yourself a week or two of foundation-building, then begin to take one practice test a week. (So you'll take anywhere from 6-8 practice tests total.) Always review a test in excruciating detail after you take it. Jot down notes to yourself about strategic adjustments you can make before the next one. Hit additional problems in any content areas that are giving you problems. (Use a good question bank or the Official Guide or both for this.)

After a few practice tests, reassess your plan. The scores on the tests aren't everything, but ideally, you'd like to see improvement. More importantly, you want to feel as though you're honing effective strategies and mastering the timing. Post updates here, and you'll get plenty of advice on how to tweak your plan accordingly.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Starting my Prep.. where to start?

by WhitleyM » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:20 am
Hi WhitleyM,

I'm hoping that you can provide a bit more information to clarify your situation:

2) You say that you "need" a 500, but that your goal is 680+. How do you know that you just need a 500? Why is your personal goal so much higher than that?
3) You say that you're going to take the GMAT in January, but that you're starting a course in February (and then taking the Test - again? - in April/May). Why take the GMAT in January if you're already planning to take a Course later on?

Rich[/quote]

Hi Rich !

Thanks for replying.

I took the test the first time just to see where I was at. The 2nd and 3rd time because the program I applied to I needed a practice score of at least 500.

I am taking the test in January for the program that I applied to. You need a score of at least 500. This programs helps with the process of applying to business school, networking, interviewing etc. My personal goal is much higher because I am aiming for some of the top 15 B schools.

Taking the test in January because I have to. I feel I need more time to study and structure to get the score I really want. That's why I'm taking the course in Feb and continuing my studies with hopes of getting my goal score in April/May

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:37 pm
Hi WhitleyM,

I have a few follow-up questions:

1) Do you have an exact Test Date scheduled in January yet (and if so, then what is it?)?
2) What is the deadline to have that Official Score submitted to the Program that you applied to?
3) If you started seriously studying today, then how many hours do you think you could study each week?

I ask these questions because you could potentially get into 'study mode' NOW and lock up a strong GMAT score in January. In that way, you wouldn't have to take that Course in February and you wouldn't have to retest in April/May.

Rich

by WhitleyM » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:46 pm
I haven't schedule it yet. But the score has to be submitted by Jan 15
I could do 6 hrs during the week and 8 hrs On the wknd

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:38 pm
Hi WhitleyM.

Increasing your GMAT score can seem overwhelming, but really to increase your score you just have to get better at doing certain things.

As I suspect you have noticed, when you have taken a practice test there are certain questions that you can answer relatively easily, certain ones that you can answer if you have enough time, and others that you barely even know how to start to answer.

Imagine the difference in your score were you ready to answer questions that are currently in the second and third categories.

So, since you have three practice tests to mine for data, go over those tests to get a sense of what you have to get better at in order to score higher. Armed with that information, you will have a fairly clear idea of what you have to do as you proceed with your preparation.

To make that first move from 400 something to 500+, you could find a few things to get better at. Once you are better at doing those things, you will break 500. Then to keep moving higher, keep finding things to get better at and increasing your skills.

By the way, that 650 that you scored by taking breaks is pretty encouraging. If you can get them right with extra time, you are well on the way to getting them right more quickly.

In fact, people often get the impression that they should do even individual practice questions on a timed basis, always seeking to find answers within the two minutes or so that is allotted for each question by the test. Actually, you are better off doing practice questions untimed, learning to get right answers. As you become more skilled, you will naturally speed up, and once you get good at getting right answers, you can then work on speed, if necessary.

So figure out what you have to get better at in order to hit your score goal, practice getting RIGHT answers, and drive your score up point by point.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 am
Hi WhitleyM,

From what you've described, you might have enough available time to properly study now and take the GMAT just once (in January). It's a matter of what you'd prefer: you can stick with your original plan (and study less intensely now and more intensely starting in February) or go full-on starting now. You should take a day to think about it, but if you do choose to go all-in now, then we'll have to get started immediately.

Rich

by WhitleyM » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:52 pm
I would like to go all in. And if for some reason I don't get my desired score. I can continue with my studies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:22 am
Hi WhitleyM,

Given your score goal, you'll likely need at least 3 months of consistent, guided study. If you're a fast learner, then you might end up needing less time than that, but we won't know for sure until you get started. With the limited timeframe you're working under, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course that focuses on Guided Self-Study with an emphasis on Tactics, patterns and all the little 'secrets' of the GMAT (so that you won't have to try to discover all of this on your own). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich