Profile Evaluation request for UTA - Mccombs Business School

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,
I am planning for 2017 fall batch. I would like your valuable insights on my profile and please provide your sincere inputs.

Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 92.6%
XIIth - 89%
Undergrad- B.Tech. in Electronics and Communication Engineering from "Amrita School of Engineering" (Ranked within top 40 best private Engineering colleges in India
CGPA- 8.44/10 which would roughly be 3.4/4 in US scale
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 680 ( Q-49, V-31, AWA-6, IR-5)

Work Exp
1. Worked for 3 years in Infosys. Was promoted from systems engineer to senior systems engineer..Was part of the core platform development team.Proficient in shell scripting and java

2.Took many certifications within Infosys during the same timeline

Volunteer Experience - Involved in 2 NGOs - MAD and CRY for 2-3 years.

Extra Curricular:
1.College football player..have participated in many tournaments.
2.Have coordinated management events in my college annual technical fest.

Resume highlights

1.Was one of the three members to be selected for internship at Ericsson for 3 months during my college
2.Attended Microsoft Robotics training program for designing LFR.
3.Have a project focusing on "Through wall motion detection" which was published in international journals.

The main university i am focusing for is University of Texas-Austin - Mccombs Business School.
Kindly let me know if i would get through with this profile.
Also, please let me know some top universities(Top 30) where i can be a prospective student.

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 pm
Hi adir06,

Your test score is bit off from the average of your target school(s), which becomes somewhat glaring because of the applicant pool you belong to. This, however, doesn't mean you can't get through this score. It just adds an unnecessary layer.

Regarding GPA, you need not convert it to a scale of 4.0 and see where you stand. GPA- interpretation is much more nuanced.

Test score, GPA, and the likes act more as filters (hygiene factors) than the deciding factors. Deciding factor often is the richness of your work experience. Did you make impact on the projects you worked at or you just performed your job duties? Are you a problem solver? Have you displayed leadership qualities (not necessarily by the dint of holding a position)? Is your career graph steeper than usual (promotions, responsibilities etc.)? And so on... These things matter a lot.

An applicant's chances depend not just on identifying promising aspects/ strengths of her/ his candidacy, but also on executing them well in the application.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 am
[email protected] wrote:Hello,
I am planning for 2017 fall batch. I would like your valuable insights on my profile and please provide your sincere inputs.
Thanks for reaching out- As you know- your GMAT is a little low for your pool but you may still have a chance if all else is very strong. I see your work experience as good but not really a differentiator, same for your extracurriculars- and actually on extracurriculars I would say that you are not that strong at all- so work on that. Now- the way you can set yourself apart for McCombs is to give some compelling reason WHY you are targeting McCombs- do you want to be in energy industry and want to be in Texas? Is there a particular program or "fit" in the culture that matches your interests and personality? This is the place where you can set yourself apart if you can answer these questions. We have counselors who know McCombs and Texas and also the entire MBA landscape. So if you'd like to learn more about how we can help you with McCombs or even to just better understand your WHY so you can find schools that are great fits- use this link for a free consult: https://stratusprep.com/free-consult/
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 92.6%
XIIth - 89%
Undergrad- B.Tech. in Electronics and Communication Engineering from "Amrita School of Engineering" (Ranked within top 40 best private Engineering colleges in India
TOEFL- Yet to take

Work Exp
1. Worked for 3 years in Infosys. Was promoted from systems engineer to senior systems engineer..Was part of the core platform development team.Proficient in shell scripting and java

Extra Curricular:

Resume highlights

1.Was one of the three members to be selected for internship at Ericsson for 3 months during my college
3.Have a project focusing on "Through wall motion detection" which was published in international journals.

The main university i am focusing for is University of Texas-Austin - Mccombs Business School.
Also, please let me know some top universities(Top 30) where i can be a prospective student.

Thanks[/quote]

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:37 am

Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 92.6%
XIIth - 89%
TOEFL- Yet to take

Work Exp

Extra Curricular:

Resume highlights

Thanks
Your profile has a lot of potential, but I see some issues with it as well. The main two issues are your GMAT score, as it is too low unfortunately, as well as the lack of clear, measurable accomplishments during your career, besides the promotion. Therefore, I would strongly advise you to retake the GMAT as well as think about what accomplishments you could list from your professional life. If needed, it may even be necessary to wait a while before applying, just so you can beef up your work related resume a bit. Depending on what you can add during the next year it may well increase your chances of admission by a lot.

Good luck!
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:55 am

Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 92.6%
XIIth - 89%
TOEFL- Yet to take

Work Exp

Extra Curricular:

Resume highlights

Thanks
Hi Adir06,

- IT applicant with a 680 from a relatively lesser-known schools may be a tough package to present. You cant change two of these parameters now, but you can change the third - your GMAT score. We would suggest that you try and aim for at least a 40-50 point increase to be competitive at top schools within your category.
- The extra-curriculars you mention, though interesting, may not be very impactful for B-school admissions, given these achievements' almost explicit technical nature. The volunteer experience, though, is pretty good, and a positive.
- Your profile does have promise, but we would suggest you pair it with an enhanced GMAT score to really bring out that potential. If you can raise your score fo 720 and above, schools such as UNC, Emory, Kelley, Georgetown (some examples) become possibilities as well.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.