Please evaluate my profile

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by mqt001 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:23 pm
Background: Degree in supply chain management from a respectable business school in the US. I currently work for one of the largest logistics providers in the US in a management position. I will have 2 years work experience at matriculation.

GMAT: 680 (44V, 39Q)
Undergrad GPA: 3.2 (3.5 in the business college)

Target schools are:

Ohio State University - Fisher
University of Texas - McCombs
University of Florida - Warrington
University of South Carolina - Moore IMBA
University of Georgia - Terry

I know that my work experience is on the low end. My question is to what extent will this affect my chances at these schools? Will the type of work be taken into consideration as well as the duration? Lastly, the schools listed are only a few that I have researched. I just took my GMAT yesterday so I am still unsure which schools I should target with a 680, I am open to any further suggestions! Thanks!

by uniq01 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:39 pm
Hello,

With the limited information you have provided, I can tell you top 25 schools like McCombs have an average GMAT score of about 690-710 or so and average GPAs of about 3.3-3.5. I know both McCombs and Fisher have Supply Chain Management concentrations, which may be your target, however I have to agree that your work experience seems a little light. I presume you are considering only FT programs.
Even if you're able to retake the GMAT to increase your score (recommended if you have the time to dedicate to really increase your score), you may still need to get a few more years of experience under your belt to be a competitive candidate. Some of the other schools may be more flexible with regard to work experience, but you would need to check their class profiles to see where you stand in comparison.

Keep in mind, Adcoms usually take a more holistic view of your application, so the caveat to all this is what else helps you stand out and makes up for any areas of deficiency that you may have.

Cheers,
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:56 am
mqt001 wrote:Background: Degree in supply chain management from a respectable business school in the US. I currently work for one of the largest logistics providers in the US in a management position. I will have 2 years work experience at matriculation.

Target schools are:

I know that my work experience is on the low end. My question is to what extent will this affect my chances at these schools? Will the type of work be taken into consideration as well as the duration? Lastly, the schools listed are only a few that I have researched. I just took my GMAT yesterday so I am still unsure which schools I should target with a 680, I am open to any further suggestions! Thanks!
I agree that the GMAT score in question is a bit too low, so to consider retaking would be a good idea. Are you open to that at all, considering that you just took it?

I also agree that the GMAT score is not your only issue, however, the work experience is on the light side as well. And that might be a more serious issue for most schools, because it does matter!

So postponing your application until you have had a chance to beef that part up as well would be a good idea, especially if that means you can add some nice, measurable accomplishments like promotions to your resume as well. So I would really recommend that too and want to emphasize that that part is more important than your GMAT score as I see it.
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

by mqt001 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:20 pm
Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated!

I would rather not take the GMAT again, since this is my second time taking it (first score was 650). I know that my GMAT score is on the low end for McCombs, however, from the info I have gathered, a 680 score is above average for every other program listed. Would a score above the class average help make up for what I lack in experience? I would like to apply this year for various reasons that I plan to address in detail in my application essays.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:23 pm
I'm going to break from the pack on this one. Looking at Terry School of Business as an example (just because I am familiar with their application process), you're above their median in GMAT and right at the median in GPA, so the only weak area you'd have would be your light work experience. That said, about a third of their incoming class seems to share this same level of experience. So there is no particular reason you shouldn't apply now, with that 680 GMAT. Worst case scenario, they tell you to reapply next year with more experience -- what have you lost?

The key to an effective application is to pick a few schools where you are a good fit in terms of class profile and goals, and learn everything that you can about them. Visit them between now and the January deadline; see in person what they have to offer. Make this the most important thing in your life for the next two months, and you might find yourself with some terrific options next fall! And if not, you'll only be a stronger applicant next year as a result of the experience.

Good luck,
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Followed by:27 members

by paulsbodine » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:22 pm
mgt001,
Two years of work experience means you are in play especially if you have established yourself in a fast-track management role. Given your supply chain background I would optimize your chances of admission by targeting schools that are strong in supply chain, such as Michigan State, Penn State, Arizona State, and/or Purdue. Your numbers are good enough for all these 4 schools. Of the schools you named, you are competitive at all of them, though McCombs will be a stretch. Happy to provide more detailed feedback if you send me your resume: [email protected].
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials
mqt001 wrote:Background: Degree in supply chain management from a respectable business school in the US. I currently work for one of the largest logistics providers in the US in a management position. I will have 2 years work experience at matriculation.

Target schools are:

Paul Bodine
Author, "Great Applications for Business School," "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance," "Perfect Phrases for Letters of Recommendation"
https://www.paulsbodine.com/
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:19 am
mqt001 wrote:Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated!

I would rather not take the GMAT again, since this is my second time taking it (first score was 650). I know that my GMAT score is on the low end for McCombs, however, from the info I have gathered, a 680 score is above average for every other program listed. Would a score above the class average help make up for what I lack in experience? I would like to apply this year for various reasons that I plan to address in detail in my application essays.
Yes, ideally you would need something quite a bit over average in order to have a fighting chance due to your experience. But if you are set on not retaking, there is nothing that says that your essays can't be above average/what sets you apart. But considering all that you have said, prepare for the need of essays that are really something special.
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:31 am

Target schools are:

So I think your shorter work experience may be a little challenging- but the higher your GMAT, the more forgiving schools will be....
I think your list is very realistic given your score- and I would add Wisconsin, Emory, Indiana Kelley, Vanderbilt Owen. best wishes to you!