Can someone help me solve this?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Can someone help me solve this?

by fambrini » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:58 pm
At the bakery, Lew spent a total of $6.00 per one kind of cupcake and one kind of doughnut. How many doughnuts did he buy?

1) The price of 2 doughnuts was $0.10 less than the price of 3 cupcakes.

2) The average (arithmetic mean) price of 1 doughnut and 1 cupcake was $0.35

OA: E

I was able to get it right, however, I couldn't find a way to develop the two statements to reach to a firm conclusion.

Thanks,
Fambrini

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:55 pm
Hi fambrini,

This question was discussed here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-2- ... 10641.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:46 pm
Hi fambrini.

Statement 1 and Statement 2 can be used together to determine that the price of one doughnut is .40 and the price of one cupcake is .30.

At that point, the question becomes "Is there more than one way to add multiples of .40 and .30 to get 6.00.

If there is only one way to do that, they you can determine how many of each he bought.

If there are multiple ways, then the information provided is not sufficient for determining how many he bought.

One way to determine whether there are multiple possible numbers of doughnuts is to start with 1 doughnut (1D) and see whether there is a multiple of .30, the price of cupcakes, that you could add to .40 to get 6.00. Then move to 2 doughnuts (2D) and so on.

1D: .40 5.60 is not a multiple of .30.

2D: .80 5.20 is not a multiple of .30.

3D: 1.20 4.80 is a multiple of .30. So 3 doughnuts works.

Now you are at a key moment, because if you notice that 1.20 and 4.80 are both multiples of both .40 and .30, then you realize that there are at least two numbers of doughnuts that would work, and so the statements combined are insufficient for determining how many doughnuts he purchased.

The correct answer is E.

(By the way, the way the question is worded, it seems possible that he bought either all doughnuts and 0 cupcakes or all cupcakes and 0 doughnuts, as 6.00 is divisible by both .40 and .30. So if that reading of the question is correct, then you don't even have to go through figuring out possible combinations to determine that there are multiple numbers of doughnuts that work. I am a little surprised actually that the wording of a GMAT Prep question would be ambiguous the way the wording of this one is. That having been said, you can read the question either way and still get it right.)
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:01 am
fambrini wrote:At the bakery, Lew spent a total of $6.00 per one kind of cupcake and one kind of doughnut. How many doughnuts did he buy?

1) The price of 2 doughnuts was $0.10 less than the price of 3 cupcakes.

2) The average (arithmetic mean) price of 1 doughnut and 1 cupcake was $0.35
Target question: How many doughnuts did Lew buy?

Let D = the NUMBER of donuts purchased.
Let C = the NUMBER of cupcakes purchased.
Let X = the PRICE per donut (in CENTS)
Let Y = the PRICE per cupcake (in CENTS)

ASIDE: Given that we have 4 different variables, we will likely need 4 equations to answer the target question.

Given: Lew spent a total of $6.00 for one kind of cupcake and one kind of doughnut.
In other words, Lew spent 600 CENTS
We can write: DX + CY = 600

Okay that's 1 equation. When I SCAN the two statements, I can see that I will be able to create one equation for each statement.
This means we will have a total of 3 equations, which likely means the combined statements are insufficient.
Given this let's jump to ......

Statements 1 and 2 combined
From statement 1, we can write: 2X = 3Y - 10
From statement 2, we can write: 1X + 1Y = 70 (CENTS)

We can solve this system to get, X = 40 and Y = 30
When we can plug these values into our first equation, DX + CY = 600, we get: D(40) + C(30) = 600
Rewrite as: 40D + 30C = 600
Divide both sides by 10 to get: 4D + 3C = 60

There are several solutions to this equation. Here are two:
Case a: D = 3 and C = 16. In this case, the answer to the target question is Lew bought 3 donuts
Case b: D = 6 and C = 12. In this case, the answer to the target question is Lew bought 6 donuts

Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com