Black colleges problem. idiom? wordy?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Black colleges problem. idiom? wordy?

by Castor.kim » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:27 am
A consortium of historically Black colleges in the United States, capitalizing on such schools' traditionally rich relationships with African nations, integrates African concerns into an international business study.

a.capitalizing on such schools' traditionally rich relationships with African nations
b.while capitalizing on the traditionally rich relationships of such schools and African nations
c.through capitalizing on such schools' and African nations' traditionally rich relationships
d.which capitalize on the traditionally rich relationships of such schools and African nations
e.in capitalizing on such schools' and African nations' traditionally rich relationship

in my thought..
a. school's traditionally.. looks wordy
b. relationship of.. looks non-sense and distort the meaning..
c. school's and african nations' ... looks wordy, but its parallel..
d. relationship of .. like b
e. like c.. looks wordy..

any way, gmat want to decide the most efficient one..
I choose "c"

but OA is [spoiler]"A"[/spoiler]

please explain about your opinion..

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:21 am
your approach tells me that you have just started preparing. wordy/awkward are useless words unless you understand other rules well.

on my first reading i felt a) is correct. then i looked for errors in others:
b) needs a verb after "which"
d) has verb-tense error
c) and e) changes meaning... it seems nations and schools have relationships with some 3rd party. however, a) clearly mentions that relationship is between nations and schools
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ihatemaths » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:21 am
C actually changes the meaning or I would say distorts the meaning.it's wordy too.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by gmatdriller » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 am
The consortium, capitalizing on X, does Y.

The consortium of colleges, capitalizing on something, integrates another thing.

The consortium, CAPITALIZING ON
the traditionally rich relationship it(the consortium of schools)] has with black African nations)

INTEGRATES
(African concerns into an international business study)

For clarity, I interpreted "such schools' traditionally rich relationship with African nations" to mean "the traditionally rich relationship it has with African nations"

Does this make sense?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Bakhtior » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:43 am
Castor.kim wrote:A consortium of historically Black colleges in the United States, capitalizing on such schools' traditionally rich relationships with African nations, integrates African concerns into an international business study.

a.capitalizing on such schools' traditionally rich relationships with African nations
b.while capitalizing on the traditionally rich relationships of such schools and African nations
c.through capitalizing on such schools' and African nations' traditionally rich relationships
d.which capitalize on the traditionally rich relationships of such schools and African nations
e.in capitalizing on such schools' and African nations' traditionally rich relatio

in B must be schools' relationships with African nations or relationships between such schools and African nations. Another error is -ing form gives evidence for how it integrates.
in C such schools' and African nation's relationships means relationships of every one of them, not interrelationship.
in my thought..
a. school's traditionally.. looks wordy
b. relationship of.. looks non-sense and distort the meaning..
c. school's and african nations' ... looks wordy, but its parallel..
d. relationship of .. like b
e. like c.. looks wordy..

any way, gmat want to decide the most efficient one..
I choose "c"

but OA is [spoiler]"A"[/spoiler]

please explain about your opinion..

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by keddie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:27 pm
I would like to make a contribution.

The intended meaning of this sentence is that a consortium that capitalizes on such schools' relationships with African nations integrates concerns into a study, so we notice that the relationship is between such schools and African nations. Therefore, e and c are incorrect, because they say two relationships, that is, such schools' relationship and nations' relationship. B and d are incorrect because "relationships of" is awkward, and "relationships between" is the correct idiom.