Gmat Prep Question Pack | Laboratory rats and mice live up t

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
Laboratory rats and mice live up to 40 percent longer than usual when fed a diet of at least 30 percent fewer calories than that which they would normally eat, but that otherwise contains all necessary vitamins and nutrients.

A) of at least 30 percent fewer calories than that which they would normally eat, but that otherwise
B) with at least 30 percent fewer calories than what they would normally eat though otherwise it
C) that has at least 30 percent fewer of the calories that they would normally eat, but otherwise it
D) that has at least 30 percent fewer calories than they would normally eat but that otherwise
E) that has at least 30 percent fewer calories than that which they would normally eat, though that otherwise

OA: D
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:20 pm
A) of at least 30 percent fewer calories than that which they would normally eat, but that otherwise
- the expression "diet of" is only used to specify the food eaten: "a diet of nuts and berries."
- the "..., but that otherwise..." should be part of a parallel structure: ... that _____, but that ______. There's no other "that" in the sentence that would be parallel; "than that which..." is part of a different modifying structure.

B) with at least 30 percent fewer calories than what they would normally eat though otherwise it
- When I see "fed a diet with..." I think "with a spoon." If we want to describe the properties of the diet, we don't use "with." We would usually say "a low-sugar diet" rather than "a diet with low sugar."

C) that has at least 30 percent fewer of the calories that they would normally eat, but otherwise it
- "fewer OF THE calories" implies that there is some specific stockpile of calories: "I ate some cupcakes" --> doesn't tell you anything about which cupcakes. "I ate some OF THE cupcakes" --> there was a specific supply, maybe in the refrigerator, and I ate some of those. There are now fewer left.
- the "it" is ambiguous

D) that has at least 30 percent fewer calories than they would normally eat but that otherwise
- correct!

E) that has at least 30 percent fewer calories than that which they would normally eat, though that otherwise
- the "that which" is ambiguous here. Whenever you're unsure of a pronoun, swap the antecedent back in: "... fewer calories than THE DIET which they would normally eat..." You don't "eat" a diet. You eat food, you eat calories, etc. But we tend to treat "diet" as an abstract noun - it's the rules of food consumption, but not the food itself.
- "though" is not a conjunction. We cannot use it interchangeably with "but."
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I think D omits a that to compare with diet.
D. hat has at least 30 percent fewer calories than [that] they would normally eat but that otherwise
Can we omit it? Can someone help?