Exam pack 1 SC Question | Intense Verb+Ing Discussion

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
Introduced by Italian merchants resident in London during the sixteenth century, in England life insurance remained until the end of the seventeenth century a specialized contract between individual underwriters and their clients, typically being ship owners, overseas merchants, or professional moneylenders.

(A) in England life insurance remained until the end of the seventeenth century a specialized contract between individual underwriters and their clients, typically being

(B) in England life insurance had remained until the end of the seventeenth century a specialized contract between individual underwriters and their clients, who typically were

(C) until the end of the seventeenth century life insurance in England had remained a specialized contract between individual underwriters and their clients, typically

(D) life insurance remained in England until the end of the seventeenth century a specialized contract between individual underwriters and their clients, typically

(E) life insurance remained until the end of the seventeenth century in England a specialized contract between individual underwriters with their clients, who typically were
Last edited by richachampion on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:18 pm
OA: D
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:22 pm
Reason for Posting this question -
I have a doubt in the correct answer,which is Option D

Here is my understanding about Verb+Ing modifier -

When you use a COMMA -ING modifier after a clause**, you should actually satisfy TWO requirements:

1. the modifier should modify the action of the preceding clause, as you have stated;
2. The subject of the preceding clause should also make sense as the agent of the -ING action.

This sort of modifier should additionally satisfy TWO requirements:

1) It should apply most nearly to the subject of the preceding clause (as you've said); and, even more importantly,
2) It should have one of the following RELATIONSHIPS to that clause:
* Immediate consequence
* Simultaneous, but lower-priority, action

VERB + Ing Modifiers also take the tense of the Preceding clause.

Here typically seems to be modifying clients and then only it can make sense, but how come? clients is not the main subject of the preceding clause, neither starting any clause, but it is an object in itself.

Experts, I have something to share with you from an another Official question. Click Here.

Ron Purewal has given this solution -

Ron Purewal =
nope, that rule still applies. i'll show you how.

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans [that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors [ to see more patients]], spending...

In this case, the COMMA -ING modifier could grammatically modify either the blue clause or the purple clause (which is nested within the blue one). from context, it should be clear that the modifier is meant to modify the purple clause.
(this is normally what happens in this type of situation with nested clauses: an attached COMMA -ING modifier will normally modify the embedded, smaller clause. there is no need to memorize the statistical rule for this, however -- in most cases, such as this one, the context will make quite clear what is being modified and what is not.)

the COMMA -ING modifier modifies the action of the purple clause, and also applies to the subject of the purple clause -- namely, the relative pronoun "that". this relative pronoun, in turn, refers to "lower-end insurance plans". so the rule still works.

I am unable to establish correlation; Does similar such situation exists here in our questions Option D.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:12 am
richachampion wrote:Reason for Posting this question -
I have a doubt in the correct answer,which is Option D

Here is my understanding about Verb+Ing modifier -

When you use a COMMA -ING modifier after a clause**, you should actually satisfy TWO requirements:

1. the modifier should modify the action of the preceding clause, as you have stated;
2. The subject of the preceding clause should also make sense as the agent of the -ING action.

This sort of modifier should additionally satisfy TWO requirements:

1) It should apply most nearly to the subject of the preceding clause (as you've said); and, even more importantly,
2) It should have one of the following RELATIONSHIPS to that clause:
* Immediate consequence
* Simultaneous, but lower-priority, action

VERB + Ing Modifiers also take the tense of the Preceding clause.

Here typically seems to be modifying clients and then only it can make sense, but how come? clients is not the main subject of the preceding clause, neither starting any clause, but it is an object in itself.

Experts, I have something to share with you from an another Official question. Click Here.

Ron Purewal has given this solution -

Ron Purewal =
nope, that rule still applies. i'll show you how.

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans [that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors [ to see more patients]], spending...

In this case, the COMMA -ING modifier could grammatically modify either the blue clause or the purple clause (which is nested within the blue one). from context, it should be clear that the modifier is meant to modify the purple clause.
(this is normally what happens in this type of situation with nested clauses: an attached COMMA -ING modifier will normally modify the embedded, smaller clause. there is no need to memorize the statistical rule for this, however -- in most cases, such as this one, the context will make quite clear what is being modified and what is not.)

the COMMA -ING modifier modifies the action of the purple clause, and also applies to the subject of the purple clause -- namely, the relative pronoun "that". this relative pronoun, in turn, refers to "lower-end insurance plans". so the rule still works.

I am unable to establish correlation; Does similar such situation exists here in our questions Option D.
OA: Introduced by Italian merchants resident in London during the sixteenth century, life insurance remained in England until the end of the seventeenth century a specialized contract between individual underwriters and their clients, typically ship owners, overseas merchants, or professional moneylenders.

There is no COMMA + VERBing modifier in the OA.
The portion in blue is an APPOSITIVE serving to define the preceding noun (clients).
Conveyed meaning:
THEIR CLIENTS were TYPICALLY SHIP OWNERS, OVERSEAS MERCHANTS, OR PROFESSIONAL MONEYLENDERS.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:17 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: There is no COMMA + VERBing modifier in the OA.
The portion in blue is an APPOSITIVE serving to define the preceding noun (clients).
Conveyed meaning:
THEIR CLIENTS were TYPICALLY SHIP OWNERS, OVERSEAS MERCHANTS, OR PROFESSIONAL MONEYLENDERS.
typically generally looks like an adverbial. Does it posses the same exception as "INCLUDING"?

or perhaps =

What I think is that they have used Adverb + Adjective + Noun form here in correct answer.

Typically + ship + owners
Typically + overseas + merchants
Typically + professional + moneylenders

An adverb can modify an adjective, which can therefore modify a noun.

If this is the case, I am not sure though, then this is very subtle.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:29 am
richachampion wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: There is no COMMA + VERBing modifier in the OA.
Conveyed meaning:
typically generally looks like an adverbial. Does it posses the same exception as "INCLUDING"?

or perhaps =

What I think is that they have used Adverb + Adjective + Noun form here in correct answer.

Typically + ship + owners
Typically + overseas + merchants
Typically + professional + moneylenders

An adverb can modify an adjective, which can therefore modify a noun.

If this is the case, I am not sure though, then this is very subtle.
An appositive is essentially a nonrestrictive relative clause with the relative pronoun and verb omitted.
OA: their clients, [who were] typically ship owners, overseas merchants, or professional moneylenders.
Here, the words in brackets are omitted, but their presence is implied.
typically is an adverb serving the modify the implied verb were.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:11 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote: An appositive is essentially a nonrestrictive relative clause with the relative pronoun and verb omitted.
OA: their clients, [who were] typically ship owners, overseas merchants, or professional moneylenders.
Here, the words in brackets are omitted, but their presence is implied.
typically is an adverb serving the modify the implied verb were.
This is a million dollar response. Normally I take notes of my new learning, and I will do the same for this also, but the way you have explained I think I will remember this through out my life. Thank you so much.

One more question:
(E) life insurance remained until the end of the seventeenth century in England a specialized contract between individual underwriters with their clients, who typically were

Is Comma+ who a right structure. I mean can who be preceded by a COMMA?
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:26 am
Bumping this thread for experts review.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by rsarashi » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Hi Experts ,

Can you please clear the difference between D and E, because in both the option the usage of in England is different.

Also please advise the usage of COMMA+WHO?

Thanks..

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:204 members

by Ali Tariq » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:53 pm
Can you please clear the difference between D and E, because in both the option the usage of in England is different.
(D) life insurance remained in England until the end of the seventeenth century a specialized contract between individual underwriters and their clients, typically

placement of in England in neither options is incorrect.
However, there is an issue of efficient writing in placement of in England in both the options.

(D) life insurance remained in England until the end of the seventeenth century a specialized contract

Both prepositional modifiers-in England and until the end of the seventeenth century- are modifying verb remained and thus are adverbials.

D
remained, where?
in England
remained, when?
until the end of the seventeenth century

E
remained, when?
until the end of the seventeenth century
remained, where?
in England

In this kind of a situation it is efficient( because of easy readibility ) to place the modifier that is smaller in length first and then place the modifier that is relatively bigger in length.

Note: neither placement is downright incorrect.

Contact for drastic improvement in just a few days.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ali Tariq » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:01 pm
comma who in E vs appositive modifier in D is not an issue.

Both are interchangeable here because we are already limiting the scope of that concept[client] by using another qualifier their, which has already restricted the scope of that concept[client].

As the scope has already been restricted, because of the usage of their, we need not use who without comma to restrict the scope of clients.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ali Tariq » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:05 pm
E has incorrect idiom- between X with Y.
However, the correct idiom is between X and Y, as is the case in OA.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:14 am
rsarashi wrote:Can you please clear the difference between D and E, because in both the option the usage of in England is different.
Check my first post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/introduced-b ... 92037.html
Check my second post in the same thread (https://www.beatthegmat.com/introduced-b ... 92037.html).

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Ali Tariq » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:26 am
It seems that the SC under discussion has two versions or it has not been transcribed properly.

The wordings of OA in SC that Richa Champion posted and those that Mitch Hunt has posted link of differ slightly.

The one by Richa Champion
D)life insurance remained in England until the end of the seventeenth century a specialized contract between individual underwriters and their clients, typically

The one Mitch posted link of
D) life insurance in England remained until the end of the seventeen century a specialized contract between individual underwriters and their clients, typically

Richa Champion, my friend, can you please confirm whether you have transcribed it ad-verbatim?
Thank you.
Have a wonderful day.