OG Verbal #95 in light of MGMAT Expln.Controversial OGV Exp

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
Ron , Could You please help with this problem
If Dr. Wade was right, any apparent connection of the eating of highly processed foods and excelling at sports is purely coincidental.

A) If Dr. Wade was right, any apparent connection of the eating of
B) Should Dr. Wade be right, any apparent connection of eating
C) IF Dr. Wade is right, any connection that is apparent between eating of
D) If Dr. Wade is right, any apparent connection between eating
E) Should Dr.Wade have been right, any connection apparent between eating.

OG OA D
Og first says eating of, as in C, is right then indirectly says eating as in D , is Right

OG Verbal Explanation
FIRST says eating of must be made parallel to excelling at--- .

Then it makes an about turn saying
eating of is a gerund ,eating is a participle and thus parallel to participle excelling .

OG first says excelling at is a gerund .Please not that Excelling at is not in underlined portion .so eating of is correct
then it says excelling is a participle.so eating is correct .

og doing 360 degrees turn

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Discussing this Sc in light of Rons explanation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ron your explanation of difference between gerunds and participles is at

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/og- ... t1373.html

Ashwary,

You have to use your intuition, and your ability to distinguish what's realistic from what isn't, to make the distinction reliably.

Here are two sentences, which probably aren't that great (I made them up on the fly for this post):
(1) Changes in 'entertainment', such as the shift from dueling politicians in the nineteenth century to dueling pianos in the twentieth, betray the fact that our respect for life has increased with the passing years.
(2) Because of the ravages of Parkinson's disease, Muhammad Ali has switched from fighting formidable opponents to fighting progressive damage to his nervous system.

In sentence #1, 'dueling' must be a participle both times, because it makes sense that way. If it's interpreted as a gerund, then we have the utter absurdity of someone fighting a politician in the 19th century, then traveling through time and fighting a piano in the 20th century - all for entertainment! (Not to mention the lack of 'with' after dueling, which would be necessary if dueling were a gerund.)

In sentence #2, 'fighting' is a gerund. try reading the sentence with it as a participle - it just doesn't make any sense.

To a certain extent it's impossible to write a sentence that has NO ambiguity whatsoever. We like to throw down hard and fast rules, making this claim, but what we're really doing is creating sentences with NEGLIGIBLE ambiguity, such as the ones in this post - and the one you've posted. (Just try reading that sentence with 'eating' as a descriptive participle. If it makes sense, try reading it again, because it shouldn't.)

hope this helps.
From this explanation , i could make out that
duelling politicians : duelling is a participle serving as adjective . The focus is on politicians
fighting formidable opponents : is a gerund . The focus is on fighting

if i apply this lesson to the problem in question
eating highly processed foods : the focus is on foods
:) Foods are eating . LOL . Absurd !
eating of foods : gerund Therefore eating of foods is more apt
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:42 am
ok, i didn't follow everything that's here, but i'll respond to the following:
mundasingh123 wrote:From this explanation , i could make out that
duelling politicians : duelling is a participle serving as adjective . The focus is on politicians
fighting formidable opponents : is a gerund . The focus is on fighting

if i apply this lesson to the problem in question
eating highly processed foods : the focus is on foods
:) Foods are eating . LOL . Absurd !
eating of foods : gerund Therefore eating of foods is more apt
i see that you're trying to use grammatical structure alone to figure these things out; that is impossible. in other words, you are assuming that, if two structures look the same, then they must grammatically be the same.
this is not the case, especially with -ING constructions; if you see ____ING + noun, then you MUST use context to determine whether the ____ING is a noun or a modifier.

for instance:
Singing songs is fun. --> singing = action noun (gerund); "songs" is the object of that action.
Singing dogs are entertaining. --> singing = adj (participle); "songs" is the subject.

you *need* context to figure this out.

same thing with "dueling politicians" (= adj + noun) vs. "eating foods" (= action noun + object).
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:54 am
Hi Ron , Why is "eating of " in C wrong ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:41 am
A is wrong because "the eating" is not parallel with " excelling"
"should ...have been" in D is wrong.
"that is apparent" in C is longer than in D. C is out.

why B is wrong. I do not know. because B is not idiomatic. "connection of A and B" is wrong.

is that right?. I do not know.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 am
duongthang wrote:A is wrong because "the eating" is not parallel with " excelling"
"should ...have been" in D is wrong.
"that is apparent" in C is longer than in D. C is out.

why B is wrong. I do not know. because B is not idiomatic. "connection of A and B" is wrong.

is that right?. I do not know.
Duongthang , while i really appreciate you trying to help me .
However , in your case even you are not sure whether you are right or not .
This thread is still open to Expert replies.
Experts , I would really appreciate your view on this .

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:47 am
mundasingh123 wrote:Hi Ron , Why is "eating of " in C wrong ?
in general, VERBing + of + OBJECT should be preceded by "the".

the real problem with (c), though, is a meaning issue -- "any connection that is apparent..." is quite different from "any apparent connection".
in context, the idea is that the connections are not real; note that dr. wade is declaring that the supposed connections are actually coincidences. therefore, we need a wording that correctly portrays the "connections" as fake.
the wording "any apparent connection..." correctly expresses this idea, because an apparent connection is not necessarily a connection that actually exists.

on the other hand, "any connection that is apparent..." has a different meaning -- the lack of qualifiers in front of "connection" suggests that we are talking about actual connections. so, "any connection that is apparent" refers to real connections that people can actually detect. this is not the intended meaning.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:48 am
OG 80
Could we apply the above lesson regarding the difference between any connection that is apparent and any apparent connection to this SC
Whats the difference between the currently uncontrolled dioxins
and dioxins that are currently
uncontrolled

A report by the American Academy for the
Advancement of Science has concluded that much
of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to which North
Americans are exposed comes
from the incineration
of wastes.
(A) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to
which North Americans are exposed comes
(B) much of the currently uncontrolled dioxins that
North Americans are exposed to come
(C) much of the dioxins that are currently
uncontrolled and that North Americans are
exposed to comes
(D) many of the dioxins that are currently
uncontrolled and North Americans are exposed
to come
(E) many of the currently uncontrolled dioxins to
which North Americans are exposed come
[spoiler]
OA E[/spoiler]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:41 am
mundasingh123 wrote:Could we apply the above lesson regarding the difference between any connection that is apparent and any apparent connection to this SC
Whats the difference between the currently uncontrolled dioxins
and dioxins that are currently
uncontrolled
i don't think that this distinction is very generalizable -- in fact, off the top of my head, the only two words i can conjure for which this distinction is valid are "apparent" and "perceived". note that both of these refer to perception -- they are basically the same.
i.e.,
a perceived X is not necessarily a real X (although it can be); it is just something that someone thinks is an X (= the same thing as an apparent X)
but
an X that is/can be perceived is a real X that someone is able to detect (= the same thing as an X that is apparent).

in the case of objective descriptions such as "uncontrolled", there is no difference, other than a stylistic one -- and stylistics are not tested on this exam.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by quesarasara » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:51 pm
lunarpower wrote: the real problem with (c), though, is a meaning issue -- "any connection that is apparent..." is quite different from "any apparent connection".
in context, the idea is that the connections are not real; note that dr. wade is declaring that the supposed connections are actually coincidences. therefore, we need a wording that correctly portrays the "connections" as fake.
the wording "any apparent connection..." correctly expresses this idea, because an apparent connection is not necessarily a connection that actually exists.

on the other hand, "any connection that is apparent..." has a different meaning -- the lack of qualifiers in front of "connection" suggests that we are talking about actual connections. so, "any connection that is apparent" refers to real connections that people can actually detect. this is not the intended meaning.
So is C the kind of choice that is grammatically correct but changes the intended meaning of the sentence? Or is C illogical. I am leaning towards the latter...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:47 am
Hi Experts,

I wanted someone to verify the usage of verb tense in B and E. Since the sentence is a conditional statement isn't the usage of should be incorrect for a situation which is conditional?

Can we construct hypothetical or conditional statements with a should?

As far as I am aware subjunctive clause uses conditional with the usage of If... were... in the first clause,, would in the then clause.

Please suggest if my thinking is correct?