Question Pack 1 CR Q#2 | Revision

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

Question Pack 1 CR Q#2 | Revision

by richachampion » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:30 am
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President's recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the President's choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the press secretary's argument depends?

A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President's party.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President's party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:45 am
OA: B
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:45 am
Fact: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President's recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.

Fact: They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors.

Conclusion: So the President's choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member

Negating Option B

by richachampion » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:03 am
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President's party.
Negating B =
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were mostly projects in districts controlled by the President's party.

Conclusion: So the President's choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Option B when negated breaks the conclusion.
Reasoning: If most of the Projects that were identified as wasteful were in presidents parties district then in that 90% project cancelled in the districts that are not controlled by the presidents party indicated the clear bias. the conclusion cant stand with the negated version. Therefore, Option B is the unstated assumption without which the arguments can't stand.

Question #1 - Is my reasoning correct?

Question #2 - I also though on the line of Prethinking. If we are following this logic then we even do not need to consider Option E as a contender.
Reasoning: The correct option must be able to add a missing premise that is able to fill the missing information that what was the %age of wasteful projects in the districts that are not controlled by President and his party. if this was high then that would confirm that there is no bias.
Right? Option E is unable to answer this question.

Question #3 -
There is one more layer of understanding, although that is not taken care either in the argument or in the answer choices. I will try to explain it with the help of an example-

Let us take an example -
Total Projects =100
Projects in the districts that are not controlled by the Presidents Party = 30
Projects in the districts that are controlled by the Presidents Party = 70

Total Projects identified as wasteful = 30
Out of these 30 -
27 were in districts that are not controlled by the presidents party = 90%
03 were in districts that are controlled by the presidents party = 4.2%

Clearly the percentage is so low in the districts that are controlled by the Presidents Party.
Here there can be one more assumption that Presidents party didn't influenced the decision while declaring which project is wasteful. In short President didn't improvise and influenced so that total number of wasteful projects in the districts of his government are very insignificant.

Although such option is not given, but Isn't my point and pre-thinking valid?
R I C H A,
[email protected]