Kaplan Premiere Practice Tests difficulty

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:740
Hi

I have scheduled my GMAT in the last week of August and am currently taking practice tests to get comfortable with timing and to build mental stamina. I took 1st GMAT preptest couple of months back and scored 720. I have completed OG review now and currently going through OG verbal review. I took three Kaplan premiere tests in about a month with following result

Test - 1: 680
Test - 2: 710
Test - 3:: 720

A common issue I faced in all three tests is the level of Reading comprehension. I have ok in accuracy on RC generally but when it comes to Kaplan tests, I find RCs very hard to comprehend and my accuracy level takes a hit. It leads me to rush through the rest of the questions as well. My accuracy level in all three tests for RCs has been around 50%.

My question is, is it a common observation with Kaplan tests or do I need to rectify something fundamental. I also have Manhattan GMAT tests which I can take. How do they compare with actual GMAT specially for reading comprehension?) I will take 2nd GMAT prep test closer to actual exam but want to evaluate myself on a more realistic scale before that. Any help?

Thanks
Gaurav

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:15 pm
Gaurav Mittal wrote:Hi

I have scheduled my GMAT in the last week of August and am currently taking practice tests to get comfortable with timing and to build mental stamina. I took 1st GMAT preptest couple of months back and scored 720. I have completed OG review now and currently going through OG verbal review. I took three Kaplan premiere tests in about a month with following result

A common issue I faced in all three tests is the level of Reading comprehension. I have ok in accuracy on RC generally but when it comes to Kaplan tests, I find RCs very hard to comprehend and my accuracy level takes a hit. It leads me to rush through the rest of the questions as well. My accuracy level in all three tests for RCs has been around 50%.

My question is, is it a common observation with Kaplan tests or do I need to rectify something fundamental. I also have Manhattan GMAT tests which I can take. How do they compare with actual GMAT specially for reading comprehension?) I will take 2nd GMAT prep test closer to actual exam but want to evaluate myself on a more realistic scale before that. Any help?

Thanks
Gaurav
I Gaurav,

All the test prep companies try to mimic the GMAT prep tests, but still the best ones are the ones offered by GMAC.
If you need to find out your accurate current standing, you should take a Full Length GMAT Prep Mock CAT.

You can download 2 for free and can purchase additional 4.

Also, in the final few weeks, do not burn out yourself by giving more tests that necessary. A test every week should suffice and make sure that you follow the test with a thorough analysis.

All the best!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sinhap07 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:10 am
Iam really in a fix. When I do OG questions I find them nowhere close to the tricky ones in gmatprep and I get them wrong. Questions in gmatprep are limited and people advise to use them sparingly. Other test companies don't capture the same level that gmac designs. So once you take gmatprep a few times what option are you left with if you score 700s but cant count on that score for repeat questions?

OptimusPrep wrote:
Gaurav Mittal wrote:Hi

Thanks
Gaurav
I Gaurav,

All the test prep companies try to mimic the GMAT prep tests, but still the best ones are the ones offered by GMAC.
If you need to find out your accurate current standing, you should take a Full Length GMAT Prep Mock CAT.

You can download 2 for free and can purchase additional 4.

Also, in the final few weeks, do not burn out yourself by giving more tests that necessary. A test every week should suffice and make sure that you follow the test with a thorough analysis.

All the best!