00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:01 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

OA: A

First time I have seen in the Official question that the Idiom -

NOT ONLY____ BUT ALSO___ is not working.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

richachampion wrote:As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

A. they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell
B. they can also pilfer valuable information that includes business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and selling
C. also pilfering valuable information including business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, selling
D. but also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans to sell
E. but also pilfering valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans and selling
not only + VERB + SUBJECT must be followed by a SECOND CLAUSE WITH ITS OWN SUBJECT AND VERB.

C: not only are thieves...also pilfering
D: not only are thieves...but also pilfer
E: not only are thieve...but also pilfering
In these options, the portions in red do not have both a subject and verb and thus do not constitute clauses.
Eliminate C, D and E.

and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
B: they can also pilfer...and selling
Here, pilfer (verb) and selling (participle) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate B.

The correct answer is A.

OA: not only are thieves able to divert, they can also pilfer
The OA indicates that the following construction is considered correct on the GMAT:
not only + VERB + SUBJECT + COMMA + SUBJECT + also + VERB.
This construction may also include but, as follows:
Not only are thieves able to divert, but they can also pilfer.
As the OA indicates, the usage of but is OPTIONAL in this construction.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by fiza gupta » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:41 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Thanks Sir! I got your point
C: not only are thieves...also pilfering
D: not only are thieves...but also pilfer
E: not only are thieve...but also pilfering
In these options, the portions in red do not have both a subject and verb and thus do not constitute clauses.
Eliminate C, D and E.
but in option D: not only are thieves...but also pilfer
isn't the word "pilfer" a verb?
if i google, it says its a verb
Fiza Gupta

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:57 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

fiza gupta wrote:but in option D: not only are thieves...but also pilfer
isn't the word "pilfer" a verb?
if i google, it says its a verb
In D, not only + VERB + SUBJECT is followed by a verb (pilfer) without a subject.
As noted in my post above, not only + VERB + SUBJECT must be followed by a clause with its own subject and verb.
The subject in the second clause may NOT be omitted.
Since the second clause in D lacks a subject, eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by fiza gupta » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:47 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

In D, not only + VERB + SUBJECT is followed by a verb (pilfer) without a subject.
As noted in my post above, not only + VERB + SUBJECT must be followed by a clause with its own subject and verb.
The subject in the second clause may NOT be omitted.
Since the second clause in D lacks a subject, eliminate D.
Thanku Sir

but :
this is one of the question in OG 2017 in which subject is missing but still the construction is correct
"Whether they will scale back their orders to pre-2003 levels or stop doing business with us altogether depends on whether the changes that their management has proposed will be fully implemented."
why this construction is acceptable without subject?
Fiza Gupta

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:53 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

but :
this is one of the question in OG 2017 in which subject is missing but still the construction is correct
"Whether they will scale back their orders to pre-2003 levels or stop doing business with us altogether depends on whether the changes that their management has proposed will be fully implemented."
why this construction is acceptable without subject?
That example contains two clauses, each containing its own subject.

Whether they will x ... depends on whether the changes will be y
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by fiza gupta » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:01 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Thanks David Sir!
My doubt is clear now
Fiza Gupta

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:07 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

richachampion wrote:As criminal activity on the Internet becomes more and more sophisticated, not only are thieves able to divert cash from company bank accounts, they can also pilfer valuable information such as business development strategies, new product specifications, and contract bidding plans, and sell the data to competitors.

You want to be careful about being too rigid with this construction. Here we have an OA that leaves off the "but." And here's a different OA that leaves off the "also,"

By pressing a tiny amount of nitrogen between two diamonds to a pressure of 25 milliion pounds per square inch, scientists were able not only to transform the gas into a solid but to create a semiconductor similar to silicon.

What's important is to maintain the parallelism. (Not only to x but to y)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course