Send GMAT scores before getting offers of admission?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Is it necessary to send test scores before getting offers? I've self reported for each school.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by uniq01 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:54 pm
Most schools in the US require that you submit your official GMAT score before considering your application complete. Schools that accept self-reporting prior to an admission decision will usually indicate so within the application itself or on their admissions websites.

Good luck!
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:34 am
xultima wrote:Is it necessary to send test scores before getting offers? I've self reported for each school.
Yes- your application will not be complete unless you have submitted your GMAT- but advice below is good that when in doubt it is always safest to check with the particular school as each school may do things slightly differently- like some will consider a GMAT reported after the admissions deadline and some will not.

by xultima » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:55 am
This is where the waiting/paranoia kicks in. I wanted to save $75ish by waiting to send official scores.
Now I'm wondering if I just ruined my first round of applications. I went and submitted my test scores on the 30th.

At Wharton, they stated "Scores may be self-reported; however, should you receive an offer of admission, official scores will then be requested for verification."
https://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/admission ... uirements/

Everywhere else was mum/mixed though(MIT, within 1-2 weeks of application deadline is fine; Stanford, we review unofficial scores; HBS, said something about official scores being OK to send after the application has been submitted)... and looking around online has given me mixed responses.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:41 pm
You're overthinking this... send your scores. If you have to pay $75, then pay the $75. At the very least it's worth it to not have the headache anymore of whether or not to pay $75. They're going to see them anyway. Just get it over with... no big deal.
xultima wrote:This is where the waiting/paranoia kicks in. I wanted to save $75ish by waiting to send official scores.
Now I'm wondering if I just ruined my first round of applications. I went and submitted my test scores on the 30th.

At Wharton, they stated "Scores may be self-reported; however, should you receive an offer of admission, official scores will then be requested for verification."
https://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/admission ... uirements/

Everywhere else was mum/mixed though(MIT, within 1-2 weeks of application deadline is fine; Stanford, we review unofficial scores; HBS, said something about official scores being OK to send after the application has been submitted)... and looking around online has given me mixed responses.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by xultima » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:38 pm
money9111 wrote:You're overthinking this... send your scores. If you have to pay $75, then pay the $75. At the very least it's worth it to not have the headache anymore of whether or not to pay $75. They're going to see them anyway. Just get it over with... no big deal.
Already sent them in, even before I made the thread.
If I need to apply to places in R2 I'll just send all my scores right away.

Here's to hoping I'm in at one place.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:34 am
Yes, that's the best approach: just send the scores to the schools right away, regardless of admission. It gets so complicated trying to think through every strategic possibility, and you need your brain for other aspects of the application process.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me