Help with Math?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help with Math?

by nem86850 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:00 am
I just started studying for the GMAT and the Math part seems like I will have the most difficult with, is there a good book or something that will help me from like a 0 level on math to slowly start building up these skills?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:36 am
Hi nem86850,

For free math practice and help, I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending some time re-building those skills, you can restart your GMAT studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:03 am
There are a lot of great websites out there to learn basic mathematical concepts (like Khan Academy), HOWEVER none of them address GMAT-specific concepts and strategies (data sufficiency strategies for one). Also, users are often exposed to concepts that are not tested on the GMAT. For example, if you look at the Basic Geometry module on Khan Academy, you'll find that many of the concepts covered are not tested on the GMAT. Finally, many of Khan's modules assume that you have a calculator available, but you don't get to use a calculator for the quant section of the GMAT.

If possible, I suggest that you stick with resources that were specifically created for the GMAT. Our free video course (https://www.gmatprepnow.com/) starts with the most basic concepts and works up to 800-level concepts. I'm sure there are other courses that do the same.

NOTE: Throughout our videos, we often direct students to reinforce learning via very specific Khan Academy videos and quizzes, but the goal is to first present concepts in the context of preparing for the GMAT.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:58 am
Hi nem86850,

I know math (and especially GMAT math) can be quite intimidating; however, it also can be conquered! Over the years, I have seen many students, initially terrified by GMAT quant, succeed on the GMAT after using my course, Target Test Prep.

Thus, I welcome you access our 5-day trial (for one dollar with no auto-billing). The course begins by teaching the fundamentals of GMAT math, so you will have the opportunity to learn GMAT quant foundations prior to moving to more advanced topics. Additionally, the course has over 3,000 practice questions and detailed analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through it.

If you decide to try it out, please PM me and I'd be happy to have a more detailed discussion to ensure that you are headed on the right path.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:08 pm
I'd actually stay away from the GMAT materials at first, and look for a proper math refresher. There isn't anything on the GMAT that isn't covered somewhere else, and most of the really fundamental stuff is ASSUMED by GMAT books (for better or worse) - that is, you're kinda half-expected to know it, and the reviews given are often abrupt.

I'd recommend Purple Math (a great website), Forgotten Algebra (a great book), and/or Art of Problem Solving's Prealgebra text (the best of all) to get started. (I have no affiliation with any of these companies and am not getting any money to recommend them, so these are sincere suggestions!)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:43 pm
Manhattan Prep designed an entire book just for people like you! Foundations of Math is designed to help people learn (or re-learn) the basics of arithmetic and algebra. https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/stor ... gmat-math/

We also offer Foundations of Math online workshops. If you're interested, email [email protected] for more information.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education