Need Help to Short List Colleges

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Help to Short List Colleges

by prith24 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:06 am
Hi Everyone,

I just took the GMAT today and got a 660. I am pretty disappointed with my score since I really wanted to break the 700 barrier. However since only 10% of the students break the 700 barrier I would have been happy with a 680.However I ended up with a 660 but really do not want to re take the GMAT since the deadlines are nearing. Also searching various forums suggested that 660 is not that bad a score so I have decided to concentrate on the rest of my application.

I want to pursue a course in MIS (MS in Information Systems) from a University in US. Even though people prefer the GRE for a MS course I took the GMAT since nowadays I see a lot of universities take both the GMAT and GRE scores for their MS programs. A brief on profile is as follows :

1. GMAT score - 660 (Q-49, V-31, IR-5, AWA - still pending).
2. TOEFL score - 110 (Reading-29, Listening-27, Speaking-24, Writing-30)
3. Work Experience - 5+ years of work experience in both technical and analytics industry. Have led a team of 5-6 people in my first organisation even after holding a junior role. Primarily I have worked on Database Development and Administration. I three certifications related to Database development from Oracle and Microsoft Corporation.I also have experience in Anti Money Laundering Domain in the Analytical industry. I have also been promoted to the role of Assistant Manager in my current organisation.
4. Accolades- I have been awarded various honours in my current organisation such as Team Star, Leading Light and Quarterly Achievement Award( Given to top 1% employees).
5. Extra Curricular - I was the captain of the college Football team. I have won many awards in the field of Football and Table Tennis during my college years.
6. Other Projects - I was part of an intern at Hewlett Packard where I developed and online shopping portal.
7. LOR and SOP - I have good contacts for LOR ( Managers, AVP and VP at my current and previous organisation) and I am also confident about writing a good SOP.
8. GPA - 3.3 (As calculated from the GPA calculator provided by University Of Arizona)

The list of colleges that I have shortlisted so far are as follows :

1. University Of Arizona
2. University Of South Florida
3. University Of Illinois Chicago (UIC)
4. North Eastern University

I would like to know about my chances of getting into one of these colleges based on my profile. it Also it would be helpful if someone can guide me to more colleges ,which are good at MIS, where I would get a chance to be accepted based on my profile.

Thanks

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by prith24 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:35 am
Hi,

Could anyone please help me out regarding this?

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:27 pm
Hi prith24,

As far as MIS programs are concerned, your score is around the average score at several programs. (For example, University of Arizona had an average GMAT score of 655 for its class of 2016.)

I think you should be fine with this score, but you got to excel in the rest of your application. Test score is just one of the components in the whole process, and once the admission committee is convinced about your academic prowess, other things take precedence. You need to tell (through essays and recommendations) one or more of why you're a good fit for the program, leadership experiences, credible career goals, and so on. In short, you've to stand out from applicants with similar profiles.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:14 am
prith24 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I just took the GMAT today and got a 660. I am pretty disappointed with my score since I really wanted to break the 700 barrier. However since only 10% of the students break the 700 barrier I would have been happy with a 680.However I ended up with a 660 but really do not want to re take the GMAT since the deadlines are nearing. Also searching various forums suggested that 660 is not that bad a score so I have decided to concentrate on the rest of my application.

I want to pursue a course in MIS (MS in Information Systems) from a University in US. Even though people prefer the GRE for a MS course I took the GMAT since nowadays I see a lot of universities take both the GMAT and GRE scores for their MS programs. A brief on profile is as follows :

1. GMAT score - 660 (Q-49, V-31, IR-5, AWA - still pending).
2. TOEFL score - 110 (Reading-29, Listening-27, Speaking-24, Writing-30)
3. Work Experience - 5+ years of work experience in both technical and analytics industry. Have led a team of 5-6 people in my first organisation even after holding a junior role. Primarily I have worked on Database Development and Administration. I three certifications related to Database development from Oracle and Microsoft Corporation.I also have experience in Anti Money Laundering Domain in the Analytical industry. I have also been promoted to the role of Assistant Manager in my current organisation.
4. Accolades- I have been awarded various honours in my current organisation such as Team Star, Leading Light and Quarterly Achievement Award( Given to top 1% employees).
5. Extra Curricular - I was the captain of the college Football team. I have won many awards in the field of Football and Table Tennis during my college years.
6. Other Projects - I was part of an intern at Hewlett Packard where I developed and online shopping portal.
7. LOR and SOP - I have good contacts for LOR ( Managers, AVP and VP at my current and previous organisation) and I am also confident about writing a good SOP.
8. GPA - 3.3 (As calculated from the GPA calculator provided by University Of Arizona)

The list of colleges that I have shortlisted so far are as follows :

1. University Of Arizona
2. University Of South Florida
3. University Of Illinois Chicago (UIC)
4. North Eastern University

I would like to know about my chances of getting into one of these colleges based on my profile. it Also it would be helpful if someone can guide me to more colleges ,which are good at MIS, where I would get a chance to be accepted based on my profile.

Thanks
I agree that there comes a time when you stop taking the GMAT and apply on what you have. This article on MBA programs with good MIS may help: https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s-rankings and from this I"d say look also at Tepper, Carlson, Eller, Smith, Scheller.

For help with the admissions application- which is also a big part of the process- a firm like ours can help. To learn more- go to this link fo ra free consult: https://stratusprep.com/free-consult/