GMAT Beginner

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Beginner

by bajgmat1139 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:34 pm
Hi,

I am planning to take my GMAT in the next 4-6 months and have just started my prep for GMAT.Would like to know if gmatfree.com is a good site to start from? Also please recommend some books to study from? I am a average student and need help with math and verbal so please recommend how do I go about it?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

How to rock the GMAT.

by MartyMurray » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:52 am
Hi bajgmat1139.

That site is fine resource to use in the beginning of your preparation to get a sense of what appears on the GMAT and to start learning GMAT related concepts. At the same time, if you plan to shoot for a high score, you may want to go with a more comprehensive resource right from the beginning.

To get two official tests made by the creators of the actual GMAT, go to mba.com, set up an account and download the GMAT Prep software. Then take the first test contained in the software, doing all four sections, and taking breaks as you would when taking the actual test. During this first go round there would be no need to be too intense about the AWA and IR sections at the beginning of the test.

Having done that initial work and taken a first test you would have a much better sense of what you have to do in order to hit your goal, and you would be in a good position to begin to choose resources to use in the remainder of your preparation.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:51 am
Hi bajgmat1239,

Since you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:53 am
Hi bajgmat1139,

Since you are just starting out your GMAT prep, you should first familiarize yourself with the GMAT exam and then take an MBA.com practice exam. The results of that exam will give you a good idea of what to expect on the GMAT as well as a baseline GMAT score. The scoring data from that practice exam will help you determine how long you will need to prepare, to achieve your GMAT goal score.

In regard to resources, there are many options available, ranging from classes (in person and online) to textbooks to private tutoring (in person and online) to online self-study programs. If you are looking for a self-paced prep program, you may consider using an online self-study course. Self-study courses typically provide detailed study plans and have granular analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through the course. By being able to track your progress, you will remain more engaged, and you'll be able to forecast when you are truly ready to take your real GMAT. If you are unsure of which program to choose, check out the verified review section here on Beat The GMAT.

I am happy to provide some more advice, but would like to learn a bit more about your GMAT experience and MBA goals. I have a few questions:

1) For how many hours a day can you study and for how many months?

2) To what schools do you plan to apply?

3) What deadlines are you targeting?

Also, I wrote a detailed article that provides some actionable steps that you can follow to help achieve your GMAT score goal. .

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage