How important are video essays in application process today?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
heya fellow MBA applicants, candidates, graduates and consultants, I am trying to understand the state of video essay/resume and if and how important it is in our MBA application process. If it is catching up as a trend or is a key part of the application process?

How are you all making these video essays? Any thoughts or best practices are appreciated

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:25 pm
Tejr89 wrote:heya fellow MBA applicants, candidates, graduates and consultants, I am trying to understand the state of video essay/resume and if and how important it is in our MBA application process. If it is catching up as a trend or is a key part of the application process?

How are you all making these video essays? Any thoughts or best practices are appreciated
All the parts of your application are very important and you should never treat one lightly. Same goes with video essays. They tell the ADCOM a lot about how you look, speak and think on the feet. So, yes they are important.

You can practice for the video essays by recording yourself on the computer and try answering general questions such as Why MBA, About yourself etc.

by Tejr89 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:59 pm
Hey thanks for the quick reply with the overall need for attention to each stage. Could you share the 4-5 main sections of a good video essay can have. To add to why MBA and bit about myself. Thanks again in advance

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:19 am
Tejr89 wrote:Hey thanks for the quick reply with the overall need for attention to each stage. Could you share the 4-5 main sections of a good video essay can have. To add to why MBA and bit about myself. Thanks again in advance
Many schools offer a useful in-depth analysis of what constitutes a good video essay. Here is Kellog's, for example: https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/pro ... sions.aspx

(It's about 5 headings down from the top.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:45 am
Hi Terj89! I'm new to BTG but not the admission process itself as I've spent 15 yrs on the school side of table. I wouldn't think so much about the video format-- regardless of what the medium is-- essay, interview, video-- you want to project an image that says you understand yourself- your accomplishments professionally and why you need an MBA to get to next step. The other thing the video does is that it gives ADCOM a chance to quickly assess your professional presence and make a split second call on how you'd present in MBA recruiting. So some simple but very powerful things-- SMILE, act comfortable in your own skin, be optimistic, enthusiastic, positive! Amazing how far all that can go and can be seen just from body language alone. I recommend looking at some of Amy Cuddy's work on Presence. Her TED Talk can give you some ideas. Do the power poses BEFORE the video interview-- not during! Schools will notice if you are comfortable, confident and relaxed and that may matter more than the actual words you speak. We work on these kinds of things with our clients and would be glad to give you a free consult if you'd like to better understand how we may be able to help! You can find more about us at our website StratusPrep.com. So relax, SMILE and have some fun with the video interviews!
Tejr89 wrote:heya fellow MBA applicants, candidates, graduates and consultants, I am trying to understand the state of video essay/resume and if and how important it is in our MBA application process. If it is catching up as a trend or is a key part of the application process?

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:43 am
Video essays and video interviews test communication skills as well as thinking ability. For top MBA admissions (like the the Kellogg video essays, INSEAD video essays, Rotman video essays, and others too), everything counts.

You can check out a detailed, professional and one of its kind MBA Video Interview Preparation Service here: This service helps you practice to perform at your best in video essays.

by keeroc » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:27 am
what happens if you did not finish within the time given?
are they going to take it seiously?