CR

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

CR

by jaspreetsra » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:13 pm
Q123 CR
Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store them in environments that are carefully kept within narrow margins of temperature and humidity to inhibit any deterioration. Laboratory tests have shown that the kind of oil paint used in these paintings actually adjusts to climate changes quite well. If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works, then by relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings. Museums would be rash to relax those standards, however, since the results of preliminary tests indicate that gesso, a compound routinely used by Renaissance artists to help paint adhere to the canvas, is unable to withstand significant variations in humidity.
In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A. The first is an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument; the second is the position taken by the argument.
B. The first is the position taken by the argument; the second is the position that the argument calls into question.
C. The first is a judgement that has been offered in the support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is the circumstance on which the judgement is, in part, based.
D. The first is a judgement that has been offered in the support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is that position
E. The first is a claim that the argument calls into question; the second is the position taken by the argument.

Help needed!
Thanks a lot!
Hard work brings success!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:30 am
When you post a BF CR, please indicate which portions of the text are in BOLDFACE.
jaspreetsra wrote:Q123 CR
Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store them in environments that are carefully kept within narrow margins of temperature and humidity to inhibit any deterioration. Laboratory tests have shown that the kind of oil paint used in these paintings actually adjusts to climate changes quite well. If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works, then by relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings. Museums would be rash to relax those standards, however, since the results of preliminary tests indicate that gesso, a compound routinely used by Renaissance artists to help paint adhere to the canvas, is unable to withstand significant variations in humidity.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A. The first is an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument; the second is the position taken by the argument.
B. The first is the position taken by the argument; the second is the position that the argument calls into question.
C. The first is a judgment that has been offered in the support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is the circumstance on which the judgement is, in part, based.
D. The first is a judgment that has been offered in the support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is that position
E. The first is a claim that the argument calls into question; the second is the position taken by the argument.
Many BF CRs involve OPPOSING CONCLUSIONS.
Here, SOME MUSEUM DIRECTORS come to a conclusion that THE PASSAGE opposes.

Conclusion of some museum directors:
By relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings.
Conclusion of the passage:Museums would be rash to relax those standards.
Thus, BF2 = the conclusion of THE OPPOSITION (some museum directors).

BF1: If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works.
Thus, BF1 = a PREMISE serving to support the CONCLUSION OF THE OPPOSITION (some museum directors).

Match the answer choices back to the BF portions.
The correct answer choice must indicate that BF1 is a PREMISE SERVING TO SUPPORT THE CONCLUSION OF THE OPPOSITION and that BF2 is the CONCLUSION OF THE OPPOSITION.

Answer choice D:
The first is a judgment that has been offered in the support of the position that the argument calls into question.
In other words, BF1 is a PREMISE SERVING TO SUPPORT THE CONCLUSION OF THE OPPOSITION.
The second is that position.
In other words, BF2 is the CONCLUSION OF THE OPPOSITION.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:40 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:When you post a BF CR, please indicate which portions of the text are in BOLDFACE.
jaspreetsra wrote:Q123 CR

C. The first is a judgment that has been offered in the support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is the circumstance on which the judgement is, in part, based.
D. The first is a judgment that has been offered in the support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is that position
Many BF CRs involve OPPOSING CONCLUSIONS.
Here, SOME MUSEUM DIRECTORS come to a conclusion that THE PASSAGE opposes.

Conclusion of some museum directors:
By relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings.
Conclusion of the passage:Museums would be rash to relax those standards.
Thus, BF2 = the conclusion of THE OPPOSITION (some museum directors).

BF1: If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works.
Thus, BF1 = a PREMISE serving to support the CONCLUSION OF THE OPPOSITION (some museum directors).

Match the answer choices back to the BF portions.
The correct answer choice must indicate that BF1 is a PREMISE SERVING TO SUPPORT THE CONCLUSION OF THE OPPOSITION and that BF2 is the CONCLUSION OF THE OPPOSITION.

Answer choice D:
The first is a judgment that has been offered in the support of the position that the argument calls into question.
In other words, BF1 is a PREMISE SERVING TO SUPPORT THE CONCLUSION OF THE OPPOSITION.
The second is that position.
In other words, BF2 is the CONCLUSION OF THE OPPOSITION.

The correct answer is D.
Hi Guru,

In assessing choice A:is the first part of choice correct? The first part is 'an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument. The argument says gesso is sensitive which opposes what the directors think. So first part should be correct?However the second part is not position taken by argument as it was taken by the directors.

Is my analysis right?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:50 am
Mo2men wrote:Hi Guru,

In assessing choice A:is the first part of choice correct? The first part is 'an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument. The argument says gesso is sensitive which opposes what the directors think. So first part should be correct?However the second part is not position taken by argument as it was taken by the directors.

Is my analysis right?

Thanks
Sequence in the passage:
First, some museum directors conclude the following: museums can relax the standards for temperature and humidity control.
Then, the argument disagrees, asserting the following: museums would be rash to relax those standards.

A: The first is an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument.
This option reverses the sequence, implying the following:
First, a position is taken by argument.
Then, an objection is raised against the position taken by the argument.
Since A reverses the sequence, eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:02 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:BF1: If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works.
Hi Mitch,
Couple of quick questions on this -

1. BF1 should be the BOLD part ONLY,I guess. But you've mentioned that the complete If-then statement is part of BF1. Can you please clarify this ?

2. How the BF1 can be termed as a "Judgment" ? It seems to be a PREMISE as you've pointed out above. Please shed light on this!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:21 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:BF1: If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works.
Hi Mitch,
Couple of quick questions on this -

1. BF1 should be the BOLD part ONLY,I guess. But you've mentioned that the complete If-then statement is part of BF1. Can you please clarify this ?
The bold-face portion is -- by definition -- the portion IN BOLD:
paint is the most sensitive substance in these works.
However, to understand how the BF portion functions, we must consider it in the context of the rest of the sentence.
2. How the BF1 can be termed as a "Judgment" ? It seems to be a PREMISE as you've pointed out above. Please shed light on this!
A premise is a statement used to support the conclusion.
Here, some museum directors BELIEVE that paint is the most sensitive substance in these works.
a belief = a judgment.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:59 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:A premise is a statement used to support the conclusion.
Here, some museum directors BELIEVE that paint is the most sensitive substance in these works.
a belief = a judgment.
Hi Mitch,
Can you please shed some light on the terms such as "POSITION", "EXPLANATION" used in GMAT Bold Face CR ? What do they signify/imply IN GENERAL in a Bold Face CR ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:03 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:A premise is a statement used to support the conclusion.
a belief = a judgment.
Hi Mitch,
Can you please shed some light on the terms such as "POSITION", "EXPLANATION" used in GMAT Bold Face CR ? What do they signify/imply IN GENERAL in a Bold Face CR ?
Both terms seem to refer to conclusions.

In the OA here, the position that the argument calls into question is the conclusion of some museum directors (museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage).

In the CR below, an explanation that the argument favors is the conclusion of the passage (older scientists are less creative because they have spent too long in their field).
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og13-cr-116- ... 78436.html

Of course, there could be exceptions.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3