MBA CV/Resume question

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA CV/Resume question

by Chanman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:24 pm
Hi all,

I have a quick question re: number of pages on a MBA CV - I know this has been on various threads, with differing opinions but just want to get an update on everyone's thoughts.

Quick background:
- I have an undergrad degree (1st-class)
- 12 years of professional experience in consumer product design, in 2 different countries
- Looking to progress into business function at tech/product firms, as well as startups etc., so innovation/entrepreneurial focus
- Aiming for UK MBA programs: Cambridge Judge & Imperial in particular

I've been tweaking my CV and got it down to one page, with most of my "worthwhile" pro-experience.
I do, however, want to include a list of the professional design awards (10 in total, all internationally recognised industry awards) I've been involved in, which will push it out to 1.5 pages.
These are definitely awards I'd include if I was going for a design position, just not quite sure whether they are worth the extra 1/2 page in an MBA CV.
I personally feel that they are relevant and important for my application, but would very much like to get POV from you guys.
Perhaps someone with similar experience RE: specific industry awards (med, tech etc.)?

Thank you all.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by uniq01 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:44 pm
Hello Chanman,

An MBA resume for school application purposes tends to be a little different from your typical industry/job-focused resume/CV. I would keep the resume to one page if the main thing extending it to 1.5 pages is a list of your design awards. You can always add a single line that states you were given several (industry standard) awards in your field of work without listing them all. Most applications provide opportunities to elaborate on anything either through optional essays or specific questions about previous awards. This may be a better place to list your specific awards in detail.
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!

by Chanman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:28 pm
Great thanks for your response and advice, much to ponder!

by MBADecoder » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:32 am
Chanman,

I agree with the post above- mention the awards in the optional essay or in the online data form if there is space there to address awards.

Even if these are solely technical, you'd want to add a line somewhere in the resume and the essays that you won so many awards for your technical competence.

Namita Garg
www.mbadecoder.com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:39 am
Thanks for sharing.

Agree with the advice, can present the multiple industry awards in a single line to fit into a one-page CV.

All the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

by Chanman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:40 am
Thanks again guys for the advice.

I agree with the thinking, sounds like a one-liner is the way to go.

Cheers!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:08 am
I concur with the advisors below: one page is the standard for b-school resumes. The focus is different than a job-seeker resume, with more emphasis on team leadership and activity in university, making for a more well-rounded profile. You can certainly highlight top awards, although I would avoid long lists that would mean nothing to an admissions reader. The online applications will in most cases give you plenty of room to list awards as well.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:690

by Abhyank » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 am
Hey Guys,

We just created an in-depth resource to help you create the Prefect MBA Resume.

You can check the 10 Step guide on creating the Perfect MBA Resume here: -
https://www.mim-essay.com/ideal-mba-resume-format/

I have attached the infographic below as well.
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM-Essay.com

97% Success Rate| 7000+ Admits in Top Schools| 10 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 3X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:
https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appoi ... rm/?btgmat

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:14 am
Chanman wrote:Hi all,

I have a quick question re: number of pages on a MBA CV - I know this has been on various threads, with differing opinions but just want to get an update on everyone's thoughts.

Quick background:
- I have an undergrad degree (1st-class)
- 12 years of professional experience in consumer product design, in 2 different countries
- Looking to progress into business function at tech/product firms, as well as startups etc., so innovation/entrepreneurial focus
- Aiming for UK MBA programs: Cambridge Judge & Imperial in particular

I've been tweaking my CV and got it down to one page, with most of my "worthwhile" pro-experience.
I do, however, want to include a list of the professional design awards (10 in total, all internationally recognised industry awards) I've been involved in, which will push it out to 1.5 pages.
These are definitely awards I'd include if I was going for a design position, just not quite sure whether they are worth the extra 1/2 page in an MBA CV.
I personally feel that they are relevant and important for my application, but would very much like to get POV from you guys.
Perhaps someone with similar experience RE: specific industry awards (med, tech etc.)?

Thank you all.
Well I realize this question has legs as it first started in Sept but I agree with the general advice of keeping to one page here. You can list your Linked In profile link and put those details out there and usually there is a space on the application itself where you can list awards and so that might be a good place to put that also.