Ques)A certain sequence consist of alternating positive and

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Ques)A certain sequence consist of alternating positive and negative numbers.if the sequence begins with a negative number and contains K numbers, where K is odd, how many positive numbers are in the set?

a)(k+1)/2
b)(k-1)/2
c)k/(2+1)
d)k/(2-1)
e)k/2

Please assist with above problem.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:14 am
alanforde800Maximus wrote:Ques)A certain sequence consist of alternating positive and negative numbers.if the sequence begins with a negative number and contains K numbers, where K is odd, how many positive numbers are in the set?

a)(k+1)/2
b)(k-1)/2
c)k/(2+1)
d)k/(2-1)
e)k/2
Let k=1, implying that the set consists of one negative number.
Thus, the number of positive numbers in the set = 0. This is our target.
Now plug k=1 into the answer choices to see which yields our target of 0.
Only B works:
(k-1)/2 = (1-1)/2 = 0.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:53 am
alanforde800Maximus wrote:Ques)A certain sequence consist of alternating positive and negative numbers.if the sequence begins with a negative number and contains K numbers, where K is odd, how many positive numbers are in the set?

a)(k+1)/2
b)(k-1)/2
c)k/(2+1)
d)k/(2-1)
e)k/2
Let's look for a pattern...

k = 1
NEGATIVE
0 positive numbers

k = 3
NEGATIVE, POSITIVE, NEGATIVE
1 positive number

k = 5
NEG, POS, NEG, POS, NEG
2 positive numbers
Notice that if we examine the first 4 numbers, HALF are positive (and the last number is negative).

k = 7
NEG, POS, NEG, POS, NEG, POS, NEG
3 positive numbers
Notice that if we examine the first 6 numbers, HALF are positive (and the last number is negative).

k = 9
NEG, POS, NEG, POS, NEG, POS, NEG, POS, NEG
4 positive numbers
Notice that if we examine the first 8 numbers, HALF are positive (and the last number is negative).

In general, if we examine the first k-1 numbers, HALF will be positive (and the last number is negative).
So, the number of positive numbers = half of (k-1)
= [spoiler](k-1)/2[/spoiler]
= B
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:31 am
Hi alanforde800Maximus,

TESTing VALUES is a great approach for this type of question. You can also solve it with a bit of logic (and paying careful attention to how the answer choices are written).

We're told that we have an ODD number of terms in a sequence (represented by the variable "K"), the first term is NEGATIVE and the sequence alternates between negatives and positives. By definition, this means that there will be one more negative term than the total number of positive terms. The question asks for the number of POSITIVE terms.

Notice how all of the answers are written are written as fractions. Based on the description of the sequence, a little less than half of the K terms will be positive. So we should be dividing the total (K) by a little more than 2.

Answer C divides the total by 3, answer D divides the total by 1 and answer E divides the total by exactly 2. None of these answers matches what we're looking for, so they can all be eliminated. Between A and B, answer A INCREASES the total before halving it while Answer B DECREASES the total before halving it. With those two options, the only one that would logically end up with a 'net decrease' leading to a little less than half of the terms is B.

Final Answer: B

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]