Ozone

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Ozone

by champmag » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:12 am
Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet rays, reaches high concentrations twelve miles above Earth, where it has long appeared that it was immune from human influence; we have now realized, though, that emissions of industrial chlorofluorocarbons deplete the ozone layer.
(A) has long appeared that it was immune from
(B) has long appeared to have been immune from
(C) has long appeared as being immune to
(D) had long appeared immune to
(E) had long appeared that it was immune to

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:18 am
IMO D
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Followed by:1 members

by jainnikhil02 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:49 am
IMO D
Nikhil K Jain

"Life is all about timing" Don't waste your and others time.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by chilledlife » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:03 am
champmag wrote:Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet rays, reaches high concentrations twelve miles above Earth, where it has long appeared that it was immune from human influence; we have now realized, though, that emissions of industrial chlorofluorocarbons deplete the ozone layer.
has v/s had.
I prefer had appeared immune because it no longer appears immune according to the sentence. Eliminate A, B & C.

Between D & E, I think D is very clear.
D is the answer

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:740

by dubinsky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:00 am
had definitely makes more sense in this context than has....

Although option d doesnt well agree well withh the ear neverthless it is the best alternative

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 am
champmag wrote:Ozone, a special form of oxygen that screens out harmful ultraviolet rays, reaches high concentrations twelve miles above Earth, where it has long appeared that it was immune from human influence; we have now realized, though, that emissions of industrial chlorofluorocarbons deplete the ozone layer.
In A, B and C, has appeared does not convey the proper sequence of events. Here is the breakdown:
1) The present perfect have realized indicates that sometime in the past we started to realize that emissions deplete the ozone layer.
2) Once we started to realize (in the past) that emissions deplete the ozone layer, the ozone no longer appeared immune.
3) To convey an action completed in the past, we use the past perfect: the ozone had appeared immune, but then it no longer appeared immune.
4) Thus, the following is correct:

The ozone had long appeared immune; we have now realized, though, that emissions deplete the ozone layer.

Eliminate A, B and C.

In E, the repetition of the pronoun it creates confusion: it had long appeared that it was immune. The function of the first it is not immediately clear. E is also needlessly wordy. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

The idiom issue also should be noted:

Immune from means exempt from (as in immune from prosecution).
Immune to means not affected by (as in immune to her beauty).

The correct idiom for the SC above is immune to.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:2 members

by nafiul9090 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:34 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
In A, B and C, has appeared does not convey the proper sequence of events. Here is the breakdown:
1) The present perfect have realized indicates that sometime in the past we started to realize that emissions deplete the ozone layer.
2) Once we started to realize (in the past) that emissions deplete the ozone layer, the ozone no longer appeared immune.
3) Thus, the past perfect is better:

The ozone had long appeared immune; we have now realized, though, that emissions deplete the ozone layer.

Eliminate A, B and C.

In E, the repetition of the pronoun it creates confusion: it had long appeared that it was immune. The function of the first it is not immediately clear. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

hello mitch

just for clarification. as we know that past perfect has some referrent of simple past event. here, is "we have now realized" the implied past event for the correct choice???

regards nafi

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am
nafiul9090 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Eliminate A, B and C.

In E, the repetition of the pronoun it creates confusion: it had long appeared that it was immune. The function of the first it is not immediately clear. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

hello mitch

just for clarification. as we know that past perfect has some referrent of simple past event. here, is "we have now realized" the implied past event for the correct choice???

regards nafi
Yes:

-- have realized implies that we realized -- at some point in the past -- that emissions deplete the ozone layer.
-- had appeared implies that the ozone had appeared immune (at a point further in the past) until we realized (at a more recent point in the past) that emissions deplete the ozone layer.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by Sharma_Gaurav » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:38 pm
Tricky sentence.

Agreed that here we already now beleive that ozone is depleted by human influence so we need "had" to say it had appeared immune to human influence.

correct answer is D.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by dj_vinayak » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:39 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
nafiul9090 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Eliminate A, B and C.

The correct answer is D.

hello mitch

regards nafi
Yes:

-- have realized implies that we realized -- at some point in the past -- that emissions deplete the ozone layer.
-- had appeared implies that the ozone had appeared immune (at a point further in the past) until we realized (at a more recent point in the past) that emissions deplete the ozone layer.
Hi
I have a doubt here. When we use HAD (Past perfect) , is not the presence of a Simple past compulsory? If yes which part here represents the simple past?
The rule that I state is Past Perfect = HAD + Past Participle ...

Regards
Vinayak
Stay Hungry Stay Foolish

by Crystal W » Tue May 31, 2016 5:08 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
3) To convey an action completed in the past, we use the past perfect: the ozone had appeared immune, but then it no longer appeared immune.
4) Thus, the following is correct:

Eliminate A, B and C.

In E, the repetition of the pronoun it creates confusion: it had long appeared that it was immune. The function of the first it is not immediately clear. E is also needlessly wordy. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

Thanks for your explanation. I have a quick question. Is that correct appear as being using in choice C?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:30 am
Crystal W wrote: Thanks for your explanation. I have a quick question. Is that correct appear as being using in choice C?
No.
appear as being is unidiomatic.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:02 am
gmatguru,
apart from what you mentioned above, is the following also an error in A and B:

Option B: perfect infinitive to have been implies that this action occurs before the modifying preceding action "has long appeared" -- here, this is nonsensical because the act of being immune and act of appearing occur at the same time.

Option A: similar explanation for A.

thoughts ?

as for the OA: getting confused with use of past perfect (had long appeared) because we use past perfect in case of an earlier past event(had long appeared) between the two sequential past events (while the other past event is in simple past). right ?

if so, then how past perfect(had long appeared) stands good here when the other event is in present perfect(have realized), but NOT in simple past ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:09 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:gmatguru,
apart from what you mentioned above, is the following also an error in A and B:

Option B: perfect infinitive to have been implies that this action occurs before the modifying preceding action "has long appeared" -- here, this is nonsensical because the act of being immune and act of appearing occur at the same time.

Option A: similar explanation for A.
This line of reasoning is valid.
as for the OA: getting confused with use of past perfect (had long appeared) because we use past perfect in case of an earlier past event(had long appeared) between the two sequential past events (while the other past event is in simple past). right ?

if so, then how past perfect(had long appeared) stands good here when the other event is in present perfect(have realized), but NOT in simple past ?
The past perfect serves to express an action completed before another PAST EVENT.
It is not required that this past event be expressed as a simple past tense action.
Here, the past event is a present perfect action -- have realized -- which expresses a PAST ACTION that affects the present.
had long appeared expresses an action COMPLETED before this past event.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:33 pm
gmatguru,
I think the correct idiom is appear to be. right ?

but here, appear takes direct object immune -- a clear deviation from the above idiomatic structure.

so, could you please explain this apparent discrepancy on gmat ?