710. Now what? Apply in Round 1? Profile Evaluation.

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
So I just took the GMAT and scored a 710. I am reluctant to apply to schools in Round 1. I spent a majority of my time focusing on the GMAT instead worrying about essays. I am just curious if I should try and rush my essays and apply in Round 1 or spend a little more time and apply in Round 2.

A little background on me. I am a 25 year old white male. I went to a state school in California while on Active Duty. I graduated in 2 years with an Economics degree. My GPA was a 3.54. I am Marine Corps Officer, so all of my experience is military related. I have 7 years of leadership experience, to include training, leading, and mentoring NATO forces in Afghanistan.

I am curious as to what schools I would be competitive for? As with everyone on this forum I would love to attend a top-ten school. I am searching for more than GPAs and GMAT scores because I know there is so much more to application than just GMAT scores and GPAs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pardon for my forum etiquette, this is not my usual medium.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:11 pm
Let's start with this... what is it that you'd want to do post-MBA? You are 100% correct that there is so much more to GMATs & GPA. Good thing for you is that your GMAT score won't hold you back form any schools. It's within range for sure...no matter what anyone else tells you...

I didn't have a similar background but I had a non-traditional one and I had a terribly tough time throughout the application/studying process. But, I knew that there was more to b-school admissions than GMATs & GPAs - so you're right on track with that. You've got a good thing going for you since you've already made that mental note in your head. Now the next challenge is to figure out what it is that these schools are looking for. I always tell people that if you're the type of person who wants to pursue an MBA you've already identified yourself as someone who belongs in A program. To gain admissions to a program displays how well you're able to tell a story TO THE CORRECT SCHOOL(S) that you belong there...

Does that make sense?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:04 am
Your profile is interesting and not all that common (although not completely unheard of either, of course) so with a good application your chances should be good. However, you need to know what you want to do in the future and how each program will help you get there. You would also need to do some research on the schools in order to see what a good fit for you culture and community wise might be. A large part of a successful application is getting the message across that you want the specific school you are applying for and what your reasons for that are.

Do you have any preferences regarding schools so far? What kind of research have you done on them up until now?
ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting
https://ARINGO.com/

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/
Or contact us today on: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

Highest acceptance rates in the industry! All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

by uniq01 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:12 am
Hello yearzack,

You're right in hesitating to apply in round 1, even though your message was posted a couple of weeks ago. Most Round 1 deadlines are in the third week of September, and as you rightfully pointed out there's much more to a quality application package than GPAs and GMAT scores. You need to give yourself time to craft a coherent story, prepare and draft good essays and various statement responses throughout the application, prepare for interviews not to mention networking with the school and possibly connecting with alums or current students.

From the information you've provided so far, I think you stand a good chance and should target round 2 for top 10 schools. Perhaps you could add a couple of top 20 as well to your application pool just to play it safe. I commend you for your military service and want to assure you this is something that is much appreciated by many top schools bc your rise to a MC officer exemplifies many of the elements (particularly leadership) you will need to be successful in B-school and beyond. It's a matter of knowing your strengths, and career goals to determine which schools will provide the best environment for you to excel ie best fit.

Trust in your potential and do well.
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!

by yearzack » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:48 pm
Michelle,

Thank you very much for the insight, I am looking to go into consulting or finance. These industries are also the most common industries for veterans. As you stated, I have a unique story, although it is not entirely unheard of. I will just have to tailor my applications and interviews to state that. There is much to be done if I am going to make it for Round 2.

Are there any schools in particular that like my particular story or profile?

Thank you for your time.

by yearzack » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:53 pm
Money,

Thank you very much for your insight. I have looked into your story and you did indeed have a non-traditional route. Inspiring. Any schools that you think I should be particular attention to?

Thank you for your time.

R/S
Zack