Mahattan Dudes: Can you help with this SC?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I can get this down to B and D, but can you explain why B is preferred. It has to do with sentence fragments, but I do not understand them very well....Can you elaborate?

Often visible as smog, ozone is formed in the atmosphere from hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, two major pollutants emitted by automobiles, react with sunlight.

a) same.
b) ozone is formed in the atmosphere when
c) ozone is formed in the atmosphere, and when
d) ozone, formed in the atmosphere when
e) ozone, formed in the atmosphere from
Last edited by RobbieMcMahon on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members
RobbieMcMahon wrote:I can get this down to B and D, but can you explain why B is preferred. It has to do with sentence fragments, but I do not understand them very well....Can you elaborate?

Often visible as smog, ozone is formed in the atmosphere from hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, two major pollutants emitted by automobiles, react with sunlight.

a) same.
b) ozone is formed in the atmosphere where
Robbie,
D is wrong coz the verb is missing. Without the verb 'is', the sentence looks like a bunch of phrases. I guess D is probably OK as a spoken English.

others: any comments???

Thanks
-Vittal

by RobbieMcMahon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:03 am
I mean it makes sense...but I was looking for a sentence disection from a expert...why it is wrong with the IS.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gmatinjuly » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:24 pm
Robbie take it this way .....

Where is smog visiible ...and where is ozone formed in atmosphere

It IS formed WHERE hydrogen and nitro.....react with sunlight.

So where should be there and IS should be there..

U cant answer this question as

It formed where ...(incorrect)

So IS is necessary hence B

sentence correction

by bdavid1976 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:55 pm
I still think D is right

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nil4700 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:57 pm
By removing the not so necessary explaination about the two components we can put the original sentence as:

Often visible as smog, ozone is formed in the atmosphere from hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides react with sunlight.

Here, the sentence doesn't sound the correct meaning. To make it meaning full tehre are two options:

1. Often visible as smog, ozone is formed in the atmosphere when hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides react with sunlight.
2. Often visible as smog, ozone is formed in the atmosphere where hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides react with sunlight.

Now if you remove the the word IS from options 1 i.e, "Often visible as smog, ozone formed in the atmosphere when hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides react with sunlight." - even this doesn't convey the right meaning.

Adding to this the word followed by ATMOSPHERE should be in line with it. Just by saying Ozone is formed in atmosphere when it reacts.... raises a question "where are the components reacted and why is it formed in atmosphere?"

Hope this gaveyou some reason in support of option B.

by RobbieMcMahon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:08 pm
OA is definitely B, but I was hoping for an explanation that spoke to the concepts of sentence fragments and the need to join these phrases with the word is. I can definitely eliminate with my ear, but was looking for a actual technical reason.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:35 pm
RobbieMcMahon wrote:OA is definitely B, but I was hoping for an explanation that spoke to the concepts of sentence fragments and the need to join these phrases with the word is. I can definitely eliminate with my ear, but was looking for a actual technical reason.
As others have explained, the technical reason is that every complete sentence needs a subject (noun) and predicate (verb).

Answer choice (d) is lacking a predicate.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by varundaga05 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:52 pm
Hi Stuart,

How to indentify the main verb in the above sentence.

I assumed that react was the verb, so didnt thought of is

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:13 pm
varundaga05 wrote:Hi Stuart,

How to indentify the main verb in the above sentence.

I assumed that react was the verb, so didnt thought of is
Hi!

The subject of the sentence is "ozone". "react" is certainly a verb, but it goes along with "hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides", so it's not the verb joined to the subject.

Stuart

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by neerajbansal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:46 pm
Often visible as smog, ozone is formed in the atmosphere from
hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, two major pollutants emitted by automobiles, react with sunlight.

Initial readthrough says that ozone is formed in the atmospehere when a & y react with z. Bases on that b is the cream of the crap....

a) same.

by AsadAbu » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:34 am
RobbieMcMahon wrote:

a) same.
In D and E, there is no verb for making a complete sentence.
In C, there is independent clause after comma (,)+and.
the sentence says:
and when hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides react with sunlight.....what? incomplete sentence.
in A, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides is the object of preposition FROM. So, it can not be the subject of verb (REACT). so, A is cross out.
in B, everything is perfectly ok.The main sentence without modifier is:

ozone is formed in the atmosphere when hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides react with sunlight.

by AsadAbu » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:42 pm
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:
RobbieMcMahon wrote:OA is definitely B, but I was hoping for an explanation that spoke to the concepts of sentence fragments and the need to join these phrases with the word is. I can definitely eliminate with my ear, but was looking for a actual technical reason.
As others have explained, the technical reason is that every complete sentence needs a subject (noun) and predicate (verb).

Answer choice (d) is lacking a predicate.
But, in the sentence "no more today">>>there is no Verb and Subject as well. Can you pls clarify it details?
Thanks...