Magoosh CR #1

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

Magoosh CR #1

by richachampion » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:29 pm
The TJ-700 and the Beta Turbomax are two models of cars of different manufacturers. These two models have almost identical specifications and features, and they sell for almost the same price. Both were introduced on the market five years ago, and each year, the respective manufacturers spend about the same amount in advertising. In the past five year, the total number of TJ-700's sold is about 80% greater than the total number of Beta Turbomax's sold. Clearly, the advertising firm that created TJ-700 ads created much more effective ads than the firm that created Beta Turbomax ads.
In evaluating the argument, it would be most useful to know which of the following?
A. How the advertising budgets over the last five years for the TJ-700 and the Beta Turbomax compare to the budgets over the same period for comparable models of other manufacturers.
B. Whether the ads for the TJ-700 and the Beta Turbomax included the address or websites of local dealerships selling these models.
C. Whether buyers of the TJ-700 and the Beta Turbomax reported being familiar with the ads of these cars.
D. What percentage the first two years maintenance costs of each model is of their respective advertising budgets.
E. Whether buyer of cars of other manufacturers in the last five years are familiar with the ads for the TJ-700 and the Beta Turbomax.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:29 pm
OA: D
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:48 am
richachampion wrote:The TJ-700 and the Beta Turbomax are two models of cars of different manufacturers. These two models have almost identical specifications and features, and they sell for almost the same price. Both were introduced on the market five years ago, and each year, the respective manufacturers spend about the same amount in advertising. In the past five year, the total number of TJ-700's sold is about 80% greater than the total number of Beta Turbomax's sold. Clearly, the advertising firm that created TJ-700 ads created much more effective ads than the firm that created Beta Turbomax ads.
In evaluating the argument, it would be most useful to know which of the following?
A. How the advertising budgets over the last five years for the TJ-700 and the Beta Turbomax compare to the budgets over the same period for comparable models of other manufacturers.
B. Whether the ads for the TJ-700 and the Beta Turbomax included the address or websites of local dealerships selling these models.
C. Whether buyers of the TJ-700 and the Beta Turbomax reported being familiar with the ads of these cars.
D. What percentage the first two years maintenance costs of each model is of their respective advertising budgets.
E. Whether buyer of cars of other manufacturers in the last five years are familiar with the ads for the TJ-700 and the Beta Turbomax.
Conclusion: Ads for TJ-700 are more effective than ads for Beta Turbomax.
Premises: Similar cars, sold for similar price, and have similar ad budgets

So the question is, were the ads actually responsible for the TJ-700's higher sale levels? If so, we'd have to conclude that 1) customers saw the ads and 2) the ads then influenced the purchase decision. Look at C. If customer were not familiar with the ads, how would the ads have influenced their purchase decisions? We've got our answer.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course