00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

124. It is widely assumed that people need to engage in intellectual activities such as solving crossword puzzles or mathematics problems in order to maintain mental sharpness as they age. In fact, however, simply talking to other people-that is, participating in social interaction, which engages many mental and perceptual skills-suffices. Evidence to this effect comes from a study showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the force of the evidence cited?

(A) As people grow older, they are often advised to keep exercising their physical and mental capacities in order to maintain or improve them.
(B) Many medical conditions and treatments that adversely affect a person's mental sharpness also tend to increase that person's social isolation.
(C) Many people are proficient both in social interactions and in solving mathematical problems.
(D) The study did not itself collect data but analyzed data bearing on the issue from prior studies.
(E) The tasks evaluating mental sharpness for which data were compiled by the study were more akin to mathematics problems than to conversation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:54 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

katrizenis wrote:124. It is widely assumed that people need to engage in intellectual activities such as solving crossword puzzles or mathematics problems in order to maintain mental sharpness as they age. In fact, however, simply talking to other people-that is, participating in social interaction, which engages many mental and perceptual skills-suffices
. Evidence to this effect comes from a study showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the force of the evidence cited?

(A) As people grow older, they are often advised to keep exercising their physical and mental capacities in order to maintain or improve them.
(B) Many medical conditions and treatments that adversely affect a person's mental sharpness also tend to increase that person's social isolation.
(C) Many people are proficient both in social interactions and in solving mathematical problems.
(D) The study did not itself collect data but analyzed data bearing on the issue from prior studies.
(E) The tasks evaluating mental sharpness for which data were compiled by the study were more akin to mathematics problems than to conversation.
Premise: The more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.
Conclusion: To maintain mental sharpness...social interaction suffices.

This is a CAUSAL ARGUMENT.
In a causal argument, events A and B are observed together, and the argument concludes that A causes B.
Here, social interaction and mental sharpness are observed together, and the argument concludes that social interaction CAUSES mental sharpness.
Put another way, the argument concludes that a LACK of social interaction causes a LACK of mental sharpness.

One way to weaken a causal relationship is to introduce an ALTERNATE CAUSE.
Answer choice B:
Many medical conditions and treatments that adversely affect a person's mental sharpness also tend to increase that person's social isolation.
Here, a lack of mental sharpness and a lack of social interaction are both caused by MEDICAL CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS, weakening the conclusion that a lack of social interaction causes a lack of mental sharpness.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by src_saurav » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:28 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mitch, i tried to reject the study here. I chose D as it says that study is based on past collected data.

Please explain.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:03 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

src_saurav wrote:Mitch, i tried to reject the study here. I chose D as it says that study is based on past collected data.

Please explain.
EVIDENCE...comes from A STUDY showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.
Since the study provides EVIDENCE, the study serves as a PREMISE.
A premise is a FACT; it cannot be weakened.
Eliminate any answer choice that attempts to weaken a premise.
D: The study did not itself collect data but analyzed data bearing on the issue from prior studies.
Since D attempts to weaken the premise offered by the study, eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by src_saurav » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:06 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi Mitch,

Please explain when we can prove a study sample to be inconclusive.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:00 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

src_saurav wrote:Hi Mitch,

Please explain when we can prove a study sample to be inconclusive.
To weaken a SAMPLING CR, the correct answer will typically show that the SAMPLING is not representative of the WHOLE.
Two examples:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/pls-explain-t283596.html
https://www.beatthegmat.com/people-who-h ... 85101.html

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:17 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
katrizenis wrote:124. It is widely assumed that people need to engage in intellectual activities such as solving crossword puzzles or mathematics problems in order to maintain mental sharpness as they age. In fact, however, simply talking to other people-that is, participating in social interaction, which engages many mental and perceptual skills-suffices
. Evidence to this effect comes from a study showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.

In a causal argument, events A and B are observed together, and the argument concludes that A causes B.
Here, social interaction and mental sharpness are observed together, and the argument concludes that social interaction CAUSES mental sharpness.
Put another way, the argument concludes that a LACK of social interaction causes a LACK of mental sharpness.

Answer choice B:
Many medical conditions and treatments that adversely affect a person's mental sharpness also tend to increase that person's social isolation.
Here, a lack of mental sharpness and a lack of social interaction are both caused by MEDICAL CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS, weakening the conclusion that a lack of social interaction causes a lack of mental sharpness.

The correct answer is B.
Hi Mitch,
Although I agree that B is the correct answer, I think it is not an alternate cause. I believe it is introducing a 3rd factor that muddle the relationship between social interaction and mental skills. Answer B is not on the ordinary form of giving direct alternate cause. For example, it does say that spending time with parents affect the mental skills.

What do you think??

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:43 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:Hi Mitch,
Although I agree that B is the correct answer, I think it is not an alternate cause. I believe it is introducing a 3rd factor that muddle the relationship between social interaction and mental skills. Answer B is not on the ordinary form of giving direct alternate cause. For example, it does say that spending time with parents affect the mental skills.

What do you think??
B: Many medical conditions and treatments...adversely affect a person's mental sharpness.
Here, a lack of mental sharpness is due not to social isolation but to an ALTERNATE CAUSE: many medical conditions and treatments.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat_for_life » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:29 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Mitch,

In one of your explanations provided above, you've written that'Here, social interaction and mental sharpness are observed together, and the argument concludes that social interaction CAUSES mental sharpness.
Put another way, the argument concludes that a LACK of social interaction causes a LACK of mental sharpness. '

My question is that if A causes B, then can we directly negate both sides as in NOT A-> NOT B or should it be NOT B-> NOT A? Which correlation out of the two is being applied in this case?

Regards,
Amit

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:05 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

gmat_for_life wrote:My question is that if A causes B, then can we directly negate both sides as in NOT A-> NOT B or should it be NOT B-> NOT A? Which correlation out of the two is being applied in this case?

Regards,
Amit
Not quite.
A -> B does not imply that Not A -> Not B.

The wording here is unique.
From the passage:
The more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.
This conclusion suggests that the relationship between social contact and mental skills is PROPORTIONATE:
A INCREASE in social contact leads to a proportionate INCREASE in mental skills.
A DECREASE in social contact leads to a proportionate DECREASE in mental skills.

Hence my statement above:

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:31 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote: EVIDENCE...comes from A STUDY showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.
D: The study did not itself collect data but analyzed data bearing on the issue from prior studies.
Even if D is true, I think, it doesn't affect the CONCLUSION that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.
Isn't it ?
GMATGuruNY wrote: A -> B does not imply that Not A -> Not B.
NOT able to understand this!

GENERALLY, in a GMAT STRENGTHEN CR, if we've A caused B or A has led to B or If A then B, then any answer choice that indicates If NOT A then NOT B,should be a potential STRENGTHENER, I guess. (because MUST BE TRUE aspect doesn't hold true in a STRENGTHEN CR)

Am I correct ?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by evs.teja » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:18 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:

Answer choice B:

The correct answer is B.
Dear Mitch,
I marked option E and am still not clear as to why this is wrong ?
Will appreciate if you clear this doubt , Also
if you throw some light on how to identify and tackle such question.

Agreed that the premise states that social interaction CAUSES mental sharpness,
But if I go with the current correct option, doesn't it state that only social interaction and nothing else CAUSES mental sharpness?
How did you reach there or where am I thinking wrong ?
Please help me out!!

Regards
Teja

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:30 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: EVIDENCE...comes from A STUDY showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.
Even if D is true, I think, it doesn't affect the CONCLUSION that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.
Isn't it ?
That is correct. The fact that the data comes from other studies does not really change anything.
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: A -> B does not imply that Not A -> Not B.
NOT able to understand this!

GENERALLY, in a GMAT STRENGTHEN CR, if we've A caused B or A has led to B or If A then B, then any answer choice that indicates If NOT A then NOT B,should be a potential STRENGTHENER, I guess. (because MUST BE TRUE aspect doesn't hold true in a STRENGTHEN CR)

Am I correct ?
Mitch's point is simply that A -> B does not IMPLY Not A -> Not B.

In other words, the fact that A causes B cannot be used to conclude that if A is not the case then B is not the case.

B could be caused by things other than A.

If you drink too much you will get sick does not imply that if you do not drink too much you will never get sick.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:29 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Marty Murray wrote:Mitch's point is simply that A -> B does not IMPLY Not A -> Not B.

In other words, the fact that A causes B cannot be used to conclude that if A is not the case then B is not the case.

B could be caused by things other than A.

If you drink too much you will get sick does not imply that if you do not drink too much you will never get sick.
Hi,
Can you please let me know whether my following understanding is correct for STRENGTHEN CR ?

Thoughts please!
Last edited by RBBmba@2014 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:56 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats