OG2016 Weaken Question#124

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

OG2016 Weaken Question#124

by richachampion » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:41 am
It is widely assumed that people need to engage in intellectual activities such as solving crossword puzzles or mathematics problems in order to maintain mental sharpness as they age. In fact, however, simply talking to other people that is, participating in the social interaction, which engages many mental and perceptual skills-suffices. Evidence to this effect comes from a study showing that the more social contact people report, the better their mental skills.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the force of the evidence cited?

(A) As people grow older, they are often advised to keep exercising their physical and mental capacities in order to maintain or improve them.
(B) Many medical conditions and treatments that adversely affect a person's mental sharpness also tend to increase that person's social isolation.
(C) Many people are proficient both in social interactions and in solving mathematical problems.
(D) The study did not itself collect data but analyzed data bearing on the issue from prior studies.
(E) The tasks evaluating mental sharpness for which data were compiled by the study were more akin to mathematics problems than to conversation.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:55 am
Experts Help needed.

Cause: The more social contact people report
Effect: The better their mental skills.

In order to weaken this we need to break the causality. Isn't It?

We can weaken the causality in 5 Ways >>
  • 1. Find an alternate cause for the stated effect.
    2.Show that even when the cause occurs the effect doesn't occur
    3. Show that although the effect occurs, but the stated cause doesn't occur.
    4. Show that the stated relationship is reversed that means you can show that the cause and effect are actually interchanged.
    5. Show that a statistical problem exists with the data used to make a causal statement.
The OA is B, but what about C. The trigger word "many" is common in both. So on the basis of "more" we can't eliminate Option C as this word is equally present in both the options.

Isn't Option C falls in the category 1 to break the causality "Find an alternate cause for the stated effect."
In option C Social Interactions and ability to solve Mathematical Problems(alternative cause for the stated effect) CoExists.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:670

by joealam1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:37 am
Hi Richachampion,

C) is totally out of scope, solving mathematical problems is definitely not an alternative cause.
knowing that"Many people are proficient both in social interactions and in solving mathematical problems" doesn't weaken the argument at all

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:05 am
joealam1 wrote:Hi Richachampion,

C) is totally out of scope, solving mathematical problems is definitely not an alternative cause.
knowing that"Many people are proficient both in social interactions and in solving mathematical problems" doesn't weaken the argument at all
PLEASE READ THE ARGUMENT CAREFULLY! I HOPE YOU ARE AWARE OF CAUSALITY
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:55 am
richachampion wrote:The OA is B, but what about C. The trigger word "many" is common in both. So on the basis of "more" we can't eliminate Option C as this word is equally present in both the options.

Isn't Option C falls in the category 1 to break the causality "Find an alternate cause for the stated effect."
In option C Social Interactions and ability to solve Mathematical Problems(alternative cause for the stated effect) CoExists.
Hi Richa.

Here's the most direct way to eliminate C.

The argument is about the effects of ENGAGING IN certain activities.

It states "it is widely assumed that people need to engage in intellectual activities ..." and then goes on to say, "however, simply talking to other people ... suffices."

C does not discuss the effects or other aspects of ENGAGING IN activities. C is about PROFICIENCY IN activities. Once be proficient in certain activities without engaging in those activities. So C doesn't really say anything about people's engagement in activities.

If C had said, "Many (or better yet Most) people who are socially active are also regularly engaged in solving mathematical problems," then C could be the right answer.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:04 am
Marty Murray wrote:
Hi Richa.

Here's the most direct way to eliminate C.

The argument is about the effects of ENGAGING IN certain activities.

It states "it is widely assumed that people need to engage in intellectual activities ..." and then goes on to say, "however, simply talking to other people ... suffices."

C does not discuss the effects or other aspects of ENGAGING IN activities. C is about PROFICIENCY IN activities. Once be proficient in certain activities without engaging in those activities. So C doesn't really say anything about people's engagement in activities.

If C had said, "Many (or better yet Most) people who are socially active are also regularly engaged in solving mathematical problems," then C could be the right answer.
That completely make sense. You analysis are excellent, but the worst part is that I am able to discover you so late. You are always very helpful. I have one question are you "SHE" or "HE".
I am based in India so I get confused with the name. Although gender doesn't matters at all, but abbreviating some correctly by MR. or MISS is a form of giving them respect.
Last edited by richachampion on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:17 am
richachampion wrote:I have one question are you "SHE" or "HE".
I am based in India so I get confused with the name.
"HE"
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Cthulu » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:36 pm
Well, The study says that more the social interaction better the mental skills. We need to basically weaken this argument.

Now B states that there are many medical conditions /treatments increase isolation. So in these "many " cases social interaction will not be a means to maintain mental sharpness. So it weakens the argument.

C doesn't really do anything to the argument except say that many people are proficient in both. It doesn't outright weaken or strengthen any of the two options.

Meanwhile, I am amazed you are willing to go through the grind even after getting 720 and 740 :)

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:20 pm
Cthulu wrote:Well, The study says that more the social interaction better the mental skills. We need to basically weaken this argument.

Now B states that there are many medical conditions /treatments increase isolation. So in these "many " cases social interaction will not be a means to maintain mental sharpness. So it weakens the argument.

C doesn't really do anything to the argument except say that many people are proficient in both. It doesn't outright weaken or strengthen any of the two options.

Meanwhile, I am amazed you are willing to go through the grind even after getting 720 and 740 :)
Ok.
R I C H A,
[email protected]