How can I get a score of 640 (Beginner Level)

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How can I get a score of 640 (Beginner Level)

by JP07 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:29 pm
Hey there,

I need a score of 640,

My question is: how can I achieve this? There are so many different opinions about how you should start and how you should study, which resources you should use etc.

About me you should know that I will have 8 hour per week for the GMAT. My time frame would be 3 months. I have not taken any cat exams , i haven't done any study either. My resources are Maggosch Account, the official GMAT review 2016 and the GMATPrep software.

Could someone tell me precisely a good, simple and efficient study plan, please . So how do i go around preparing for it. If someone can guide me that would be so helpful.

many thanks in advance

cheers
JP

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:31 pm
Hi JP,

A 640+ score is just a bit below the 80th percentile, so probability says that most Test Takers won't be able to score at that level (only about 1 in 5 will do it). To be fair, nobody here knows you well enough to tell you what you're capable of, but if you limit yourself to certain resources and to a certain timeframe, then it's likely that you'll end up making it more difficult for you to hit your score goal.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by DaveGreen » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:45 am
Hey there.
The suggested amount of time to study for the GMAT is 100 to 120 hours of effective learning. So 8 hours a week for three months is just enough time, though it certainly is cutting it a bit close.
But notice that recommendation is for effective learning - but how to do that?

I suggest starting off with making yourself a study plan, consisting of these steps:

1) Familiarize yourself with the exam - What is the test structure? What are the formats of the questions? Here is info on that - https://exampal.com/gmat/blog/gmat-every ... nted-know/

2) Focus extra practice time on your areas of weakness - What matters is getting to the correct solution, fast: the problem is that just solving lots of questions (with practice tests or coaching) is not sufficient in terms of improving mental flexibility. Actually, the opposite is true. Solving thousands of questions without improving your mind's flexibility will only cement the wrong thinking patterns.

3) Train yourself to find YOUR best solution approach to answering GMAT questions - The GMAT measures your ability to flex your mind. There is often more than one way to get to the correct answer - the trick is figuring out which is that way that is FASTEST for you.

4) Researching your errors is even more important than solving new questions - Which tools am I using betters than others? What are the main reasons for my mistakes? Which other tools should I learn to apply better? And when it comes to verbal questions, it is also crucial to analyze the answers: why is the correct answer correct? What is wrong with the wrong answers?

5) Practice test should be used as tools for improvement, not just to see "where I stand," which means that you should allow 4 hours of research for every test, and not take two tests in one day, one after another, so as to allow yourself some time to strengthen your weaknesses and prepare for your next opportunity to improve.

Here are more study tips for you.- https://exampal.com/gmat/blog/top-10-gma ... pare-gmat/

As you still have a month to go, you might want to consider trying online computer assisted customized learning, in a site such as exampPAL. What does this mean? Instead of reproducing the teacher-in-a-classroom experience online, a site like this uses personalized machine learning to bring the best out of each student. By monitoring thousands of other students who are tackling the same question as you, the site can provide you with the approaches that proved most efficient for each given question.

Good luck! I hope some of this was helpful.

Avi